Steve Hague guitars

calieng

Here is a shot of the inlays on mine to compare.

P1011033 copy.jpg

Shark21

Silver Supporting Member
I just jumped into this thread and have never heard of the guy. It appears he is super talented and really let a "stinker" get out. I'm always amazed at how little luthier's think their reputation is worth. Or what they're willing to surrender it for (convenience, money, etc.).

Doesn't sound like you're going to be made whole on this one. Sorry to hear about that.

calieng

There is something off with the OPs photos. That guitar is not a new build. Steve would not have installed Klusons and then Grovers on a new build. And those Kluson impression take some time to set in like that. That fretboard also does not look like Brazilian. Take a look at my photos to see the fretboard wood Steve is using.

I do not know that we have the whole story here.

Last edited:

calieng

Top photo is control cavity from guitar Steve just sent me with real PIO caps. Steve is using CTS pots.

Bottom photo from OP with Gibson fake Bumblebees and repro pots. That is not done by Steve.

P1011378.JPG
43F9559E-B0AE-4BAD-8E9E-DA4105EF98C1.jpeg

Last edited:

calieng

Pic of the recent build. Everything lined up perfectly...neck angle, neck alignment. Heck even check out the saddles. Bridge is perfectly centered. Even Gibson does not always get it this right.

P1011034 copy.jpg

Last edited:

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
I have to agree with @calieng. Something is definitely off with the OP’s guitar. Even the fact that the fretboard binding is totally worn away and there aren’t any nibs at all. Steve doesn’t make his LPs without fret nibs. I haven’t owned one in years, but the photos that @calieng posted are indicative of the ones I’ve owned.

Reactions: MTN

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
Agree that fretboard doesn't look like Brazilian at all. Brazilian has larger and more elongated pores. And then the hack job on the frets. Almost makes you wonder if you're dealing with the real builder and not some scammer impersonating him. I know it sounds crazy but how can these guitars be made by the same person?

The thing with the Klusons swapped for Grovers and the imprecise inlays I could imagine being done to simulate an aged guitar. A 1950s LP would have started life with Klusons and have shrunken inlays. But even so this looks like amateur hour. Also the "relicing" like in the 5th photo from the top, where it shows the underside of the fretboard, and the way the finish has just been sanded down. As far as relicing jobs go, that's as unrealistic as it gets.

As an aside, how he hasn't got sued by Gibson building these for what must be about a decade now, I have no idea.

Last edited:

calieng

Agree that fretboard doesn't look like Brazilian at all. Brazilian has larger and more elongated pores. And then the hack job on the frets. Almost makes you wonder if you're dealing with the real builder and not some scammer impersonating him. I know it sounds crazy but how can these guitars be made by the same person?

The thing with the Klusons swapped for Grovers and the imprecise inlays I could imagine being done to simulate an aged guitar. A 1950s LP would have started life with Klusons and have shrunken inlays. But even so this looks like amateur hour. Also the "relicing" like in the 5th photo from the top, where it shows the underside of the fretboard, and the way the finish has just been sanded down. As far as relicing jobs go, that's as unrealistic as it gets.

As an aside, how he hasn't got sued by Gibson building these for what must be about a decade now, I have no idea.

I think the scammer idea makes some sense. Steve freely gives his phone number to customers. That is how we keep in touch. First time we talked for over an hour and regular text messages from him on his mobile number.

OP said "I can’t call no number . As far as concerns shared we’ve argued viciously ." Sorry but wrong. If you were actually dealing with Steve Hague you would have his phone number. So either the OP is doing a hit job on Steve for some reason or his friend refered him to some scammer who sent him some old beat up build by who knows who? This whole thread stinks. I smell a rat.

Black Squirrel

Gold Supporting Member
I think the scammer idea makes some sense. Steve freely gives his phone number to customers. That is how we keep in touch. First time we talked for over an hour and regular text messages from him on his mobile number.

OP said "I can’t call no number . As far as concerns shared we’ve argued viciously ." Sorry but wrong. If you were actually dealing with Steve Hague you would have his phone number. So either the OP is doing a hit job on Steve for some reason or his friend refered him to some scammer who sent him some old beat up build by who knows who? This whole thread stinks. I smell a rat.

As someone who had a not-so-good experience with a Hague (Bought used), I kind of agree with you here. Mine looked great and had no visible defects it was just unplayable and sounded terrible. But nothing like the OP shows.

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
@calieng I definitely think you are onto something here. Does Steve know about this thread? To see so many past and recent examples that are all consistently nothing like the pics in the OP definitely raises questions.

cugel

How about a packing slip or some proof that said builder shipped this? Just pics mean nothing, come on now!

calieng

@calieng I definitely think you are onto something here. Does Steve know about this thread? To see so many past and recent examples that are all consistently nothing like the pics in the OP definitely raises questions.

I can ask him about it later on. I don't want to bother him right now. He is just getting back on his feet after some tough times. But I do have pics of most of his recent builds and was just texting with him a few days ago.

Maybe the OP will post a full shot of the guitar so I can compare to what was recently being built. And yes a pic of the shipping label would help. Or else delete the thread.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry people, but if you're holding a guitar that you can't show a photo of the headstock of here on TGP due to legal issues, you're dealing with a thief no matter how you rationalize it.

bbaug14

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry people, but if you're holding a guitar that you can't show a photo of the headstock of here on TGP due to legal issues, you're dealing with a thief no matter how you rationalize it.

:stir:facepalm:horse

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom