• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Steve Hillage - Hurdy Gurdy Man

snouter

Real simple chord progression, but sounds so awesome if you have someone in the band who can sing it. Steve is that awesomeness starting around 19:20 into it.

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
l listened to a lot of Steve Hillage back in the day. I always liked the look of his stripped Strat.

mc_deli

...nice guitar... and I suppose the EC beard was de rigueur... but Motivation Radio is not my favourite. In fact that, and Rainbow Dome Musik, should be approached with extreme caution.

Back to Hurdy Gurdy Man and the L album: the original by Donovan had Jimmy Page with some classic guitar work. I have L on vinyl, it mentions that the Lunar Musik Suite was recorded exclusively at the full moon. This was obviously very important to Steve. To me, not so much;)

johntoste

Rainbow Dome Musik, should be approached with extreme caution.

Allow me to disagree with you on that. As much as I love Fish Rising, L, and his work with Gong (and wish he'd get back to more guitar,) RDM was ahead of its time ambient electronica and very influential to bands such as Orb. You might want to give it another chance.

Silver

Allow me to disagree with you on that. As much as I love Fish Rising, L, and his work with Gong (and wish he'd get back to more guitar,) RDM was ahead of its time ambient electronica and very influential to bands such as Orb. You might want to give it another chance.
Have to agree. I like a lot of the System 7 stuff too (they're great live), but then I've always been a bit partial to certain kinds of electronic stuff, though the beats do get a bit tiring as I near old fart-hood.

but Motivation Radio is not my favourite.
Some good tunes on that one! Hello Dawn, Light In The Sky, but yeah the production sticks out a bit I think. I can see why some don't like it so much, and not sure what's going on with the Stones cover at the end.

I always liked the look of his stripped Strat.
Apparently, that's a '61 Strat. The story goes that he took it to the shop one day (having decided his Steinberger was the ony guitar he'd ever need) and said he only wanted what he payed for it as he wanted someone to get a good deal and enjoy the guitar and play it. At least that's what I'd read a while back, but looking at this, £500 for a '61 in 1985? Dunno.

Always good to see a Hillage thread, great vid!

woof*

Sorry... He's a great technical player, but the original Donovan version kills in every way.

Bmused

Gold Supporting Member
I always liked the solo in Hello Dawn from the Motivation Radio album. Nothing fancy, just cool.

mc_deli

Saw some great Orb gigs in the early 90s and loved the Ultraworld double until I lost it;(

Ok I promise to dig out my Motivation Radio CD!

But what about the effects board and effects controller in the vid?

johntoste

Saw some great Orb gigs in the early 90s and loved the Ultraworld double until I lost it;(

Ok I promise to dig out my Motivation Radio CD!
Uh, no...Motivation Radio has its problems. It's Rainbow Dome that Orb was listening to.

tim gueguen

Back to Hurdy Gurdy Man and the L album: the original by Donovan had Jimmy Page with some classic guitar work.
That's commonly believed, but false. Alan Parker played the guitar on "Hurdy Gurdy Man," as confirmed by John Paul Jones and drummer Clem Cattini some years back.

GerryJ

Lol, people think J Page and Keith Moon really did a good job on the original version. John Paul Jones produced it, not sure if he played on it. If you haven't listened to it lately give it a try. Uncanny how it sounds undated, in large part imo on the fantastic drum fills (which JPJ wisely mixed way up.

Barquentine

I saw him on New Years' Eve either 76 or 77 in my home town Brighton, England. It was a strict seating only arena but the security guys eventually gave up trying to stop people dancing in the aisles and we all had a great night. The air was so thick with with dope smoke it was like walking into a low flying cloud. Venues were a lot more tolerant about people 'indulging' in those days.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom