• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Steve Howe reveals he recorded most of the new Yes album with a Line 6 Spider

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
It can't possibly sound good, right?

Of course it can. What's most important is his playing.

While it wouldn't be my first choice I'm sure I could make a great sounding record with it.

True story: We had a gig in a small club in New Jersey that was next to a firehouse (I forget the name of the town). They said don't bring an amp, they'd provide the backline.

When we got there it was a Line 6 Spider. I was thinking "WTF???!!!" but you play the hand you're dealt, right?

We were playing instrumental R&B so I dialed in the best clean tone I could and we played our set. The audience loved us, no one walked out, the club owner invited us back, and in relation to this thread, no one came up to me afterwards and said how crappy my tone was. I wasn't in love with it but it was serviceable.

So if Howe used a Spider and made a good record with it, good for him. The player is always more important than the gear.

Gearzilla

It can't possibly sound good, right?

Of course it can. What's most important is his playing.

While it wouldn't be my first choice I'm sure I could make a great sounding record with it.

True story: We had a gig in a small club in New Jersey that was next to a firehouse (I forget the name of the town). They said don't bring an amp, they'd provide the backline.

When we got there it was a Line 6 Spider. I was thinking "WTF???!!!" but you play the hand you're dealt, right?

We were playing instrumental R&B so I dialed in the best clean tone I could and we played our set. The audience loved us, no one walked out, the club owner invited us back, and in relation to this thread, no one came up to me afterwards and said how crappy my tone was. I wasn't in love with it but it was serviceable.

So if Howe used a Spider and made a good record with it, good for him. The player is always more important than the gear.
Ron Jarzombek has been destroying it with non TGP approved gear for years.

PaisleyWookie

I guarantee you anyone who can competently mic up an amp can get a good sound out of a Spider in the studio, especially one of the more recent ones. People poop all over the Spiders, and it’s true some (most?) of the presets suck. But they’re basically PODs in a cheap cabinet.

timbuck2

I guarantee you anyone who can competently mic up an amp can get a good sound out of a Spider in the studio, especially one of the more recent ones. People poop all over the Spiders, and it’s true some (most?) of the presets suck. But they’re basically PODs in a cheap cabinet.
I agree...i mean any amp in a highend studio can be miced up to sound killer in a mix...Modeling just allows one to have 4-200 amps in 1 box that also will pass and work

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
The amp modeling in the Spider V amps is basically the same as the Vetta and POD Farm, and Howe used the Vetta for many years. I imagine he’s very familiar with what he wants when he’s dialing them in.

timbuck2

The amp modeling in the Spider V amps is basically the same as the Vetta and POD Farm, and Howe used the Vetta for many years. I imagine he’s very familiar with what he wants when he’s dialing them in.
wonder if the next spider 6 will use helix algos? I mean if they release one with those same algos that would be lame.

Digital Igloo

When we learned Robert Smith was playing Spider V on a recent tour, my inner 16-year-old squealed, did the mopey two-step, and then tripped over my unlaced Doc Martins.

So now my first ever favorite band (can't mention them just yet), high school favorite band (The Cure), and current favorite band (Spotlights) are all playing boxes I worked on. This is one of the main reasons I put up with you kids and your shenanigans.

timbuck2

When we learned Robert Smith was playing Spider V on a recent tour, my inner 16-year-old squealed, did the mopey two-step, and then tripped over my unlaced Doc Martins.

So now my first ever favorite band (can't mention them just yet), high school favorite band (The Cure), and current favorite band (Spotlights) are all playing boxes I worked on. This is one of the main reasons I put up with you kids and your shenanigans.
thats dude (smith) is scarey looking..lol...eyeliner?? blk nail polish? really?eww

Trending Topics

Top Bottom