• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Steve Howe Revisted

Since the onset of this covid-19 situation that we are all experiencing, I find myself turning to music much more frequently. Gone for the most part is the television watching and the sports radio listening, and like the old saying "Nature abhors a vacuum" suggests, something had to fill that void.

I have, been as of late, really exploring the bodies of work of many musicians, different genres, and really enjoying myself. For the past few days, i have been revisiting Steve Howe's contributions to Progressive Rock and how well he works with the musicians around him.

.o0( i cant help but notice Squire - all the time )

He's very reasoned and intellectual in his approach, like other super solid musicians, just trying to be a good boy and play something reasonable.

At least that was my impression from interviews. There's nothing mystical or overly sophisticated. He just thinks his way through it and tries to play something that fits. Of course he's extremely talented and musical too.

A lot of it is just normal hard work. He studies what he has to play, takes it slow, and makes it work.

sleshnyc

Silver Supporting Member
all yo have to do is listen to Yessongs to understand why he's the most talented and versatile guitar player in Rock history. Probably the most under appreciated guitar player in the world. I don't get how there are 459 Eddie threads and no one talks about this guy. I can' only imagine bc he's far too technical for most of us.

Huge Yes fan and appreciate both Howe and Rabin eras. SH has a sound and skill most rock players will never attain IMHO... I will never be able to play like that and truly am amazed by a player that brings something completely outside the box to any band, prog or otherwise. :aok
You couldn't play like that because you don't have his background of jazz, blues, rockabilly, early rock and roll, country, etc.

Neither could Rabin.

But no reason you or Rabin or someone else couldn't play something as good.

Steve is just very, very professional in putting together parts. At least that was my impression. He could play with anybody, like that guy in the city who gets all the work.

He's very reasoned and intellectual in his approach, like other super solid musicians, just trying to be a good boy and play something reasonable.

At least that was my impression from interviews. There's nothing mystical or overly sophisticated. He just thinks his way through it and tries to play something that fits. Of course he's extremely talented and musical too.

A lot of it is just normal hard work. He studies what he has to play, takes it slow, and makes it work.
I agree ... But i would add that there are some flourishes wherein he is at once meticulous and ornate. More to your point though, he is very thoughtful in regards to what he adds to the collective whole.

Huge Yes fan and appreciate both Howe and Rabin eras. SH has a sound and skill most rock players will never attain IMHO... I will never be able to play like that and truly am amazed by a player that brings something completely outside the box to any band, prog or otherwise. :aok
I remember when I was first building my passion for guitar and I couldn't wait for the next Guitar Player magazine to come out and all the other Publications but I remember in many successive years Steve Howe winning best overall guitarist. I enjoyed Yes and other Progressive rock bands but I didn't immediately understand or appreciate exactly what it is that Steve Howe does that gets him such accolades and prestige. That is until I spent a lot of time listening and tabbing Yes tunes and then I realized "hey?! .. I cant do this .. I can't execute this in proper time .. and then I learned just how far beyond my ability and the ability of those around me Howe was - and is - .. and then later understood how more masterful he was than other guitarists I ever heard. Truly a highly skilled musician

all yo have to do is listen to Yessongs to understand why he's the most talented and versatile guitar player in Rock history. Probably the most under appreciated guitar player in the world. I don't get how there are 459 Eddie threads and no one talks about this guy. I can' only imagine bc he's far too technical for most of us.
Some people oversimplify what Steve Howe accomplishes. I think that is fine as that is their honest reaction. I was among these people in terms of degree. I have learned through the time I spent recently really delving into Steven Howe's body of work that there is much more going on musically than I initially understood, as well as a broad mastery whose vastness I failed to comprehend. He is not everyone's cup of tea so a lot of people do not do more than just simply scratch the surface. For most listeners, myself included, to gain an accurate appreciation of Howe's skillset and contributions requires an almost immersion into an interesting and masterful body of work. some people are not so moved, and that is fine .. it just may not be something that they enjoy enough to dive deeper

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
You couldn't play like that because you don't have his background of jazz, blues, rockabilly, early rock and roll, country, etc.

Neither could Rabin.

But no reason you or Rabin or someone else couldn't play something as good.

Steve is just very, very professional in putting together parts. At least that was my impression. He could play with anybody, like that guy in the city who gets all the work.
very well said, he was my main influence when i was a kid, and it's the mix of stuff he does to make him special, who else fused progressive rock with that american/celtic folk sound? it's just so good... i love those early Yes albums so much

Trending Topics