Steve Lukather....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Allen in San Jose, May 24, 2013.

1. straycat113

straycat113 Member

I can remember hearing Hold the Line for the first time and that solo just dropping my jaw on the floor. Is it me or does it seem like Luke should be a hell of a lot older then 55 lol as it seems like he has always been there. His achievements are just mind boggling- played on over 1,500 records as a session player, one of the founding members of a hugely successful rock band, and God only knows how many live gigs he has played. The only knock I have about Luke is that is tone was truly brutal in the mid 80's (which he admits) as it sounded like he stepped on 10 pedals at once. Foe a reference get the bootleg of the live in Japan show with Luke, Beck and Santana. Kind of a shame as I love that DVD and Luke (as wired as he was lol) has his chops in mind boggling form but he sounds dreadful.Glad to see him cleaned up and he has been as bust as ever. Also the EBMM Luke-III is one smoking axe!

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Luke is a really nice guy to. Years ago we were opening for a band, Cherie and Marie Currie, and I found out Luke was playing with them. I almost didn't want to go on. We hung out a bit after the show, super guy. He is an amazing guitarist/vocalist/musician.

3. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Phenomenal player. Love his stuff.
    Need to pick up the new album. I listen to his original solo album 'lukather' and the los lobotomys stuff all the time.

4. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

Transition is terrific. I think his tone took a turn for the better on that album. Not a shredder album by any means, just some really nice tunes with stellar guitar work. I too, am a fan of his singing. In many ways, he was the main singer for Toto. Think of some of their biggest hits, 99, Africa, Rosanna; Lukather probably sang the most on those.

5. Sammo

Sammo Member

Transition is probably my favourite stuff that has come out of Toto camp since Jeff Porcaro died. Highly recomended!

6. Allen in San Jose

Allen in San Jose Member

Sounds almost like something Landau would do..which is a good thing, of course! :cool:

7. voodoochile

voodoochile Member

+1 to everything said so far. Amazing player, and may I add... he has a great sense of phrasing and chord vocabulary... he puts interesting sounds together and to my ears, sounds fresh even after all the years.

The Larry Carlton & Steve Lukather from Japan is pretty outstanding.

8. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

That is exactly what I think when I hear that song.

9. Terry Hayes

Terry Hayes Member

The live Los Lobotomys appearance on Ohne Filter is worth checking out. The playing is great from everyone but I am always so impressed watching that video to see Luke simultaneously cover such intricate vocal and guitar parts flawlessly!!