Steve Morse control of FX remotely

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sev_reed, Jan 28, 2019.

1. sev_reed

sev_reed Member

It seems Steve Morse uses a few delay options (one short, one long), a verb, and an octave pedal. These are individually brought into and out of the mix of his wet amp via separate volume/expression pedals. Does anyone know whether he utilizes some sort of VCA solution (or perhaps something like Sound Sculpture Volcano) to remotely control these effects with the vol/exp pedals, or whether he actually runs the audio signal up to his pedalboard?

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Pretty sure he splits signal at board and then uses vol pedal to send a 100% wet signal to dedicated to wet amp.

3. beej

beej Supporting Member

Yep. Split to individual volume pedals, fed back into a mixer.

4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I recently came across Steve's pedalboard, and I have to say I think it's genius. Only a couple of FX, and real time control over them. Very cool, I'd love to build something similar.

5. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

think of it as an elborate paralell wet/dry solution with send controls to the FX

6. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

As I understand it:
    He's using 2 Engl heads, one is dedicated for the dry (non-fx) sound.
    The dry amp has 2 effects loops, one of which has a TC Hall of Fame in there.
    The preamp out of the 1st head goes into some sort of splitter (Custom Skrydstrup Interface, or something like a Lehle).
    The splitter feeds the 2 rack-mounted TC Flashbacks.
    Out of the rack into a pair volume pedals, connected to some custom Skrydstrup Volume pedal interfaces that seems to take XLR instead of jack plugs (https://skrydstrup.com/audio-tools/line-drivers/
    The Volume pedal interfaces are sent back to the rack and summed with a mixer (either passive or active).
    The mixer then gets sent to the FX return of the 2nd Engl head (bypassing the preamp section, and simply using it as an overgrown power amp)

So the (buffered?) audio actually travels down the length of the cables.
    The octaver as I understand it, is just a pitch/octave patch in a TC G major, probably connected to the fx loop of one of the amps.

I think it's cumbersome, but I'd like to have it set up as well, ultimate control/mix of any fx..

7. beej

beej Supporting Member

You can also achieve the same kind of thing if you have a delay pedal(s) with expression control. Use the expression to control the delay level, and you can just blend in as much as you like. You don't need two delays like Steve ... just get one with presets.

jnepo1 likes this.