Steve Perry - Interview on CBS in October

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Craig Walker, Jul 22, 2018.

1. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I would think if the band members challenged that in court they would probably get their constitutional rights back. They must not care about writing any books. I don't see what would stop a music biographer from writing a biography. The writer could just not name his sources. Not that I care, I more than likely wouldn't buy any of them.

stevemc likes this.
  2. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Knowing how litigious Steve Perry is with his lawyers towards Journey, the legal documents the bandmembers signed not to allow them to write or participate in any biography/autobiography or any media showing Perry in a less than favorable manner created by Perry's lawyers would have to be challenged in court, costing them money for legal fees & time in court, in which any of the bandmembers are not going to waste in fighting with an ex-bandmember whey they could be out be out on tour making money. This is something Perry created to make sure his ex-bandmembers can't bad mouth him in the press and that the true story of Journey will never be known to the public due to Steve's usage of the judicial system.

Guitar George

3. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

Jonathan Cain's autobiography came out not too long ago and he goes into the whole Journey story, sounds like it's a warts and all book. What are your sources that state they all sold their rights to books to Perry that gave him final approval over content?

4. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

https://web.archive.org/web/20070127121512/http://members.cox.net/mrcarty/

I'm happy that Jonathan Cain got his autobiography out to the public without Perry interfering with his book being published. He originally was the keyboardist in The Baby's and was picked by Gregg Rollie himself and suggested to Herbie Herbert to be his replacement. It took him a long time to come out with that book.

Guitar George

5. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

^^^^^^
    If Cain was allowed to release his book I would imagine the others could too if they wanted to. I don't believe the whole they signed their rights away thing. I take anything Herbie said with a grain of salt. People can't sign away their constitutional rights. Now if they had signed away their rights to the name of the band or song royalties that is different.

semi-hollowbody likes this.
  6. Craig Walker

Craig Walker An expensive cup V Gold Supporting Member

This. Everything cited in that site is one man's word. A man who seems very narcissistic to me.

Most people I've seen/heard who have worked with Perry (Randy Jackson/Lincoln Brewster etc) have not had negative things to say about him.

Steve has admitted in interviews that he 'lost himself' at one point, before burn out. No one is an angel.

7. Baba

Baba Member

This. You'll notice this if you listen to Escape and then Frontiers, there is a definite difference in his voice. Same with Raised on Radio.

I went to the concert this year. Arnel still sounds great. The band's overall sound, I did not like. Def Leppard's sound was MUCH clearer and better, and Joe Elliot was damn near hitting everything. He sounds better than he has in years past.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I remember there was a story going 'round the press/radio how Perry "re-trained" his voice for 'Frontiers' to be more resonant, but I didnt buy it.
    Journey toured 'Escape' hard and Perry sang full voice every night - I saw the tour when it hit town. Little doubt things changed - still great, but less pure Sam Cooke.
    He still sounded great on his 'For the Love of Strange Medecine' record, though music sounded dated even when released.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

The 1st Amendment protects our freedom of speech from government interference. But if ReddRanger willingly signs a non-disclosure agreement with roadfilm, ReddRanger won't go to jail for writing a tell-all book about roadfilm, but roadfilm can sue the pants off ReddRanger.

DustBusterB, Rob Taft and Hamer95USA like this.
  10. Baba

Baba Member

I'm not sure I've seen a better vocal performance, than on the Escape concert video. That dude hit whatever notes he wanted, all night long.

Its really a shame they couldn't work together afterwards, because that album they put out in 1996 wasn't bad at all.

rwe333 likes this.
  11. B Money

B Money Member

I should preface this by stating that I was (and still am) a huge Steve Perry/Journey fan back in the day. When I was a teenager I would have given anything to be able to sing like him. IMO he is the greatest rock singer ever.
    However, we all know that for a singer, performing takes a little bit out of you every night. Maybe it's a just a minuscule amount each time, but the effect is cumulative. Compounded with age and physiological changes and there is just no way to keep the high range you had in your youth. The trade off is often an increased richness and tone, or 'soul' for lack of a better term.

Frontiers is when the rasp started to settle in. The wear on his voice from touring was beginning to show. Still a phenomenal vocalist, but the cracks were forming.

In the above mentioned Herbie interview, he attests to keeping the band on the road as long as possible. Wearing them down in an effort to make as much money as possible while they were hot. It was only after Perry finally put his foot down and said "no more" did they take a break. I'm sure the entire bands egos were hyper inflated at that time and they were at each others throats. But Herbie was determined to keep the money machine running. I get it, as a manager thats his job. It's just too bad that the outcome was a destroyed band, relationships, and all the wear on Steve's voice.

Darth Weller and Craig Walker like this.
  12. Darth Weller

Darth Weller Member

This would be the put the ego behind and get it done approach. Perry and him singing together live, let the young guy hit the high notes. You know Arnel worships the man. It would be a neat thing to see.
    But egos and reputations being what they are, I doubt we will see that.

If they did it that way, I'd go just to see it done.

Spooky Action likes this.
  13. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Steve Perry hologram with Journey behind him. All problems solved.

Spooky Action likes this.
  14. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Maybe a bit longer (they seem to have experienced a resurgence related to that song since the series finale of The Sopranos in 2007).

15. Spooky Action

Spooky Action Member

16. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

How do you know this?

Hamer95USA likes this.
  17. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

18. billbixby

billbixby Member

Axl surprised the hell out of me. One of the things these Frontmen don't realize (David Lee Roth) is that you actually have to practice singing to be able to sing good.

19. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

HA! good point! Yes, Axl sounds pretty damn good, but not what he once was you gotta admit. But I also admit he surprised the hell out of me too

20. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Neal and Greg were great in Santana. If you want to hear what Neal would have sounded like sans Journey well check out the Schon and Hammer releases, particularly that first one. The second was more radio friendly (The MTV video of "No More Lies" comes to mind) but the first to me was more special although there's a lot of the second I like.

And Neal focusing on melody made him a better player, IMO. I think enough time has passed that everyone realizes they were all very young and dealing with a lot of money and success and insanity back in their heyday.

Man with Gas likes this.