Steve Topping: Holdsworth, McLaughlin fans check this out

tribalfusion

I've talked about Steve on here before...he's a great player who has worked with Gary Husband a lot as well as with Chris Squire, Level 42, Jack Bruce and others and is one of Holdsworth's favorite guitarists as well. Allan said about Steve: "Steve has a unique harmonic approach that is deep, emotional and exciting"

I know he has done some theater work in the UK in the past few years and if anyone has seen him play in recent years or knows more about what he has been up to, it would be great to hear about him.

jmp2204

Wow, first time I've heard him mentioned here! I got into Mr. Topping through Holdsworth, I have the album from about '97, the name escapes me right now. Look for the Gary Husband instructional video, they have a jam with Holdsworth, Husband, Topping and Paul Carmichael, the original bassist for Holdsworth's IOU band in the 80s. Excellent stuff! Such different approaches to the guitar in that setting. Thanks to the OP for opening this one!

tribalfusion

Steve finally has an update:

.. early in March 2018

Even I am exasperated by now ...

As a composer I want the experience to be a journey of discovery ... like a child.

I suppose I'm kidding myself saying that - I am mostly an adult - but that's how I try to hear things at first, so as to try and say something that is real rather than just habit or muscle memory.

In the case of this long promised third album I made some bad decisons with technical and studio design and it wasn't working for me ... I went through a lot of changes ending up with epic frustration and delaying the actual recordings, and perhaps if I'm honest with myself it gave me a reason to put it off too ... because there was another factor ... the big question of what do I want to create ?

It seems my musical journey moving forward in time is looking backwards to when I was a seven year old with my new first guitar - I could not play at all but un-self conciously I made a couple of songs. That was the last time I tried to.

So it has transpired that over the last few years I shifted away from the instrumental acoustic album I had promised on this page that I was doing and that was because I discovered I was trying to write songs and learn to play rhythm guitar properly too.

I have tried to sing, oh how I wish I could sing ... cause then finding the words might be easier!

It has been an adventure and it's been hard. But I am still here and now the obsessions of gear/studio and the technical curve are under control ... yee haaaaaa!

I've avoided recording any tracks before the music of the songs (not words) is complete in my head, and because I am not a singer and the words come slowly I work on the songs in parallel - rather than one after another.

I haven't posted any clips ...but I will post one of me a year back singing the first demo soon.

I need to collaborate on this eventually and I am actively looking for the right male vocalist to record these songs ... please don't be shy to get in touch about that.

More soon ...

http://overdown.com/news.htm

John H

Gold Supporting Member
It's amazing, to me, that he's so under the radar. His two albums are worthy of worship, let alone appreciation.

tribalfusion

It's amazing, to me, that he's so under the radar. His two albums are worthy of worship, let alone appreciation.
I agree 100%. It's quite revealing that we have 20 page threads on the best pose for a guitarist and 5 POSTS (besides mine) on a great player like Topping in a thread over a 2 year period.

Some more from Steve:

Trending Topics