• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Steve Vai equivalent in country music?

USMarine75

Are we just naming country guitar players?
Yeah at this point. Some terrible recommendations jeez.

That Redd guy was fun and all but he's not even in the same universe as Vai. He's not even a top 10 country Tele player IMO let alone in Vai's league. I'd take Jerry Donohue, Brent Mason, Paisley, Gatton, Hiland, Roy Buchanan (more blues than country), Jerry Reed all over him any day.

John5 is an interesting pick but by no means a country player. He's a guitarist who can play country.

Again more blues than country, but I think you have to go with Gregory Kochery.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
Well that is what I wondered, I realize country doesn’t really have a lot of instrumentalists, but the suggestions have been good!

Maybe I just don’t get the premise. I don’t see how anybody can parallel Vai. And not because his ability/talent, but because of the limitations of the genre.

27sauce

There are a ton of instrumental country songs and albums from the ‘40’s-‘10’s. I’d venture(;)) to say more than rock. It’s just different.

The difference between them and what Vai does is it’s still song based. Many(not all) of these are instrumental versions of standards, or songs in standard structure. The guitar is not necessarily the main idea. It’s, “your favorite song...on guitar

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I have no idea why I was thinking of this, but for some reason I was wondering:
Is there an equivalent guitar player in country music who is like Steve Vai?
I guess: technically proficient and sort of whacky?

I have no idea why I was thinking of this.
I know that I don’t usually associate much current country w/ instrumental music- which is Vai’s forte.
I just don’t honestly know many current country guitarist ( or artists, honestly)
I know there is a good history of country guitar players who are really good guitarists... was just sort of wondering....
Zappa got it right with the New Age version of The Black Page:

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
Of all the ones mentioned so far, I think Chet Atkins comes closer although Chet is more musical than Steve Vai, who is one of the best technical players on the planet at the moment and maybe the best.

Here is a great session player that no one has mentioned, likely because he is just quietly an excellent player.

There are scores of players who are better technicians than Vai. Scores. Jeff Loomis comes immediately to mind.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
This is pretty "Vai-like".

Great mention! I’ve got it on now.

The Dixie Dregs...came to mind...but this record is great example of Morse’s country inspired blend of many genres and influences.

Charvel951

Growth is about evolving w/o it we become stagnant
Gold Supporting Member

I know that I don’t usually associate much current country w/ instrumental music- which is Vai’s forte.
I just don’t honestly know many current country guitarist ( or artists, honestly)
I know there is a good history of country guitar players who are really good guitarists... was just sort of wondering....
Andy Woods may fit that description. He's funny, witty and knows his theory! He's playing with "Rascal Flats."

Last edited:

Tahitijack

Another vote for Brent Mason. He is an amazing player and story teller. When I saw him with Richard Smith, Richard commented that if you listen to any country music station you have heard Brent.

sonofspy

Danny Gatton The Humbler.

Trending Topics