Steve Vai's Jemini Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JJK, Aug 17, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK Member

Does anyone here have it, and what do you think of it? I heard it is damn near impossible to get at this point, or at least extremely difficult to find. I found one topic on it from a few weeks ago but I was wondering if anyone else has tried it or owns it.

2. ultra

ultra Member

I don't have one but I have tried one quickly (a photo shoot sample).

I did like the way it sounded and that you could dial in totally different drive characteristics for each side of the pedal BUT was disappointed that you cannot cascade one pedal into the other.

That may not phase some people but it was something that I thought would have been a cool idea.

3. RickB

RickB Member

I got to play one of these last night at a local store. First, the paint job on these is not actually paint. It looks like one of those films that they float in water and then drop the object onto it to have it take the shape of the object to give it it's finish. Not a big deal but the quality of the finish left a lot to be desired when looked at close. The pedal is extremely lightweight and takes a single 9v or power adapter. The lights around the knobs are a nice touch. The switches worked great switching between sides or turning on or off.

I was extremely impressed with the overdrive side. It sounded like a great modded Tube Screamer. I really enjoyed playing this side. Very responsive, nice range on the gain and tone knobs and plenty of volume. The distortion side sounded pretty much like a modded DS-1 but in all honesty, better. It had a great bottom end to it when playing the low strings. The tone knob had a much wider sweet spot and the range of the gain knob allows it to be run actually quite clean if you wish.

I wasn't able to figure out the Bright/Save switch (didn't bother to look at the manual). In Bright mode, it didn't seem to change the tone at all.

Overall, I was far more impressed with it than I was expecting. For $199, you get a great modded Tube Screamer and a great modded DS-1 in one box. Being able to run both sides together would have made this even better but apparently, Mr. Vai didn't want that. I would pick one of these up without hesitation. I have other things that I rather pick up right now but when the time is right, I will definitely pick one of these up to have around.

4. Bad G.A.S.

Bad G.A.S. Senior Member

The bright/save switch is for the intensity of the the lights surrounding the knobs....No joke! They wasted a switch on that instead of another tone control...:NUTS

5. RickB

RickB Member

Ha! I didn't even notice the lights change when I toggled the switch (probably because I was in a well lit store!). Yeah, definitely a waste. I'll admit that I thought it was a brightness control for the pedal itself and that there was a way to save a sound by holding down a switch or something!! I'll take pleasure in calling myself an idiot for this one! :NUTS:jo

6. madscientist

madscientist Member

Rick...I'm curious to check this out, which store had one around here?

7. RickB

RickB Member

It was Daddy's in Salem, NH. They only got one in on Tuesday this week according to the guys there and it was still there last night when I walked in.

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

A little off topic but... I love Daddy's. I used to go to the Nashua store all the time in the early 90's. Now I'm closer to and use the Shrewsbury store. Great service / repair shop they have up in Manchester, too. Got a tour of that place not to long ago... good people up there!

-Ben

9. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I got to ask.. What Part of Steve Vai's Pedal and Satch's Pedal don't folks get?:D It is just a Tool.Not a modeling pedal. Satch and Steve seem to like them a lot.Works for them. I saw in another thread about the Vox pedal folks were trying to guess what it actually was.:confused: Doesn't take much IQ to know they Both Use a DS-1 and tubescreamer from time to time. I wonder what the pedals are based on? HMMM! I would personally like to thank Vox and Ibanez for not pulling a Cornish rebox on these and charging $400..Wonder what the Satch Wah will be based on? He has a RMC Picture and Wizard wah along with his dunlop..Should be interesting..End of Rant,and please do not take this personal.It was directed at no one..Just tired of all the assumptions.
    Someone get out and gig with one.Oh wait Steve and Joe are all ready doing that.;)

10. JJK

JJK Member

I'm probably going to pick one of these up. I may sell my FD2 Mosfet 10th Anniversary and get the Jemini. The 10th Anniversary FD2 is rather muddy to me.

11. charmboy

charmboy Member

saw one at daddies in Albany last night too...

Seems like more engineering went into the look than anything else... But then again, that's Vai.

12. RickB

RickB Member

I work in Boston so sometimes I swing by the Boston store. I used to live near the Danvers store and would sometimes find cool stuff in there. I found a brand new Peavey Wolfgang Standard there after they discontinued them a few years ago. Now I live closer to the Salem store and I drop by a few times a week to see what they get in. They have some ZVex pedals, Ibanez Flying Pan RI, a lot of EH, etc. Not a great selection but it is a lot nicer going in there to try certain things out rather than GC. Everyone is friendly but they leave you alone at the same time which is cool.

I sure miss EU Wurlitzer and LaSalle from back in the day!

My favorite store is Performance Music Center in Woburn, MA. That is where I go first to buy something provided they carry it.

13. JJK

JJK Member

I work at Gordon Lasalle in Southbridge. I teach there and work in the store doing the eBay stuff.

14. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Amen to that!

Aww man... Wurlitzer's on Rt. 9 in Natick is where I bought my first PRS! And I remember seeing a Rivera there for the first time with something called "Ninja Boost"... thought it must be some shredder amp with the metal grille ;) . And I'll have to check out Performance Music Center in Woburn... thanks for the head's up.

There's a Gordon Lasalle close to me actually in either Fitchburg or Leominster... went in it a couple times. Seem to cater toward more than just guitar and drums which was kinda cool to see.

15. RickB

RickB Member

Not taking anything you said personal but at the same time, I am not sure I understand what the point is you are trying to make. :D Yeah, Vai uses a TS and a DS-1 for his sound and now you can get very good versions of both in one box. I think that is what I was trying to say in my short review.

16. JJK

JJK Member

Yeah there are stores in Leominster, East Hartford and Southbridge now. There used to be one in Worcester and one in West Hartford, but they closed. Rent was too much.

17. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

No, an idiot would've gone on and on about how the bright mode increased the inherent sweetness of the tone around 8.5 kHz while swearing that the save mode actually conjured the holy ghost for a second.

Me? I thought it saved the settings somehow. Battery users will find it to be a welcome feature. A little wasted space for some extra juice seems like a fair swap.

There is one at a local shop here. I haven't tried it- it's simply too big for me and I'm not interested. If anybody who can't find one wants it, PM me. I've got a gig out of town tonight and have plans tomorrow morning through mid-afternoon, but I'll be able to check PM's tomorrow after maybe 3:00 CST. I won't be able to dodge the sales tax on it or absorb the shipping costs, but I'd be happy to send it your way.

18. RickB

RickB Member

:roll

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

[with thick Bahh-st'n accent:]
    "...Yeah there are stores in Leominster, East Hartford and Southbridge now. There used to be one in Worcester and one in West Hartford, but they closed. Rent was too much."
    This thread is crackin' me up!!