Steve Winwood // Blind Faith - "Can't Find My Way Home"

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tweedfix, Mar 22, 2020.

1. tweedfix

tweedfix Member

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

3. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

This band seems like the great "what could have been." Clapton blew it because he had to pretend he was an American blues prophet, and broke up the band. I've always felt the greats from this era embraced their English-ness and let it inform their music. Clapton didn't, and for me his music always suffered because of it.

jgyn, vanderkalin, Renardm and 4 others like this.
  4. vashondan

vashondan Supporting Member

5. Tommyd8

Tommyd8 Member

6. darkwaters

darkwaters Member

Such a great song. I've been playing it for at least 40 years now. Never drifts long out of the repertoire.

wntbtw, Lucidology and Northerner like this.
  7. Kennybeeinfl

Kennybeeinfl Member

I think there was alot more to this groups demise. As Clapton has stated they never had a chance fo develop. Headlining a big tour before they were ready. The whole "supergroup" thing. And he was not into being in another band with Ginger Baker. I think at that point Clapton was fried from the whole Cream thing and all he wanted to do was hang out with Winwood and write and record. I think their one and only album had a fair amount of English-ness on it. Just my observation. The result of that tour was putting The Dominos together and recording the Layla album so as far as his music suffering well l guess that's up for debate.

wntbtw, Flogger59, lhallam and 2 others like this.
  8. sideman

sideman Member

It's interesting how several of those BF songs - this one in particular - have survived through the decades. Continuing vitality reflected in strong artists still covering them. Over a million views on each of the below.

9. Me Again

Me Again Member

Simple. Elegant. About as classic as a song can get. And very well done, again, Mr. Winwood!

wntbtw, Lucidology and Quarter Tone like this.
  10. lhallam

lhallam Member

It's the lyrics, IMO. I saw Clapton do it in the early 70's and broke into tears as my drug addict girl friend who had just left me was in jail.

11. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Yvonne Elliman (Jesus Christ Superstar) toured as a backup singer for Clapton on a couple tours and he gave her spotlight time...

wntbtw, Spooky Action, BadHat and 2 others like this.
  12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yes for his unigue sound for sure ...
    However the melody is strong enough on it's own to hold up even as a very cool instrumental ...

vanderkalin and EL 34 X2 like this.
  13. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Silver Supporting Member

It has held up over decades in a variety of treatments; acoustic, electric, and instrumental. Lyrically it is vague, but emotionally resonant, and can be interpreted and applied by the listener to many situations. That's a sign of a great song.

14. htm62

htm62 Member

Thanks Tweed, this brightened my quarantined butt. :)

tweedfix and DV52 like this.
  15. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I love this version of the tune... I remember when it first hit YT, there was this huge flap about whether he actually played and sang it, one take... a lot (I mean A LOT) of people insisted there was dubbing/processing of the sound, even though with the crackling fire going on, that would be nigh on to impossible to cut in and out of...

I would just laugh and tell people, "No, this is what having some serious talent sounds like..."!!!

I do think Steve tunes the guitar down a step from already being a step down, making the song be in the key of C major(?)... heck, I could almost hit those notes! I have no chance in the original key... and I never did, not even when I was a teenager and first heard the song back in '69...

Great take! Thanks for the reminder...

EL 34 X2 likes this.
  16. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Might well be the case, lh...Winwood has a poignancy to his voice, self destructive peeps will do that to those they say they love.

Pidgin English and lhallam like this.
  17. lhallam

lhallam Member

Agreed it's a piece of work and Steve delivers.

I saw him open for the Dead. Most audience members were not paying much attention while I was loving every minute of it.

He is opening for Steely Dan this summer and I have tickets. Really looking forward to it. Hope he sings this tune.

Lucidology likes this.
  18. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Whoa.

19. rright

rright Silver Supporting Member

20. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Yes we do. I can’t explain it rationally other than I’m an addict. This song has spoken to me very much since I’ve gotten clean. Reminds me that life isn’t just about my selfish wants. I can say to myself “my decisions won’t affect anyone” but I have 3 little kids and as an impending single dad, my decisions good or bad can affect them deeply.

Lucidology and EL 34 X2 like this.