Steve Winwood...one of the most underated of all time?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by rockon1, Jun 16, 2019.

1. louderock

louderock Member

How about this bass player? Oh yeah, that’s Steve Winwood. Dude has is ALL!

2. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

Love the B3 on this one

Steve Hotra likes this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

The dude doesn't have to play a thing. He passes as one of the greatest just for his voice.

4. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

I wouldn't consider a Grammy winner "under the radar", just saying! I get it, he is a badass and deserves tons of respect, but he has had a hugely successful career!

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. Seymour Cash

Seymour Cash Supporting Member

Underrated by whom? LOL This place represents peak de-evolution. Are we not men? We are Devo.

6. DC1

DC1 Member

Winwood is a wizard.

Just brilliant.

dc

7. newking70

newking70 Supporting Member

Seriously he played all the instruments on that track is pretty impressive.

Steve Hotra and rockon1 like this.
  8. Gspspinone

Gspspinone Supporting Member

Hendrix didn't think he was underated

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. Northerner

Northerner Member

OP is correct.
    He’s one of the greats in popular music starting with his brilliant work with Spencer Davis and ongoing.

And his toilet’s trimmed with gold.

10. runningman

runningman Member

I think the term 'underrated' is overrated.

FuzzyAce and wombat66 like this.
  11. sonofspy

sonofspy Member

Good thing he won a Grammy or no one would have known he existed! ;)

Saw Traffic live in Jan of '73. Headlining at the Boston Music Hall. 3.5
    hours of the best fusion I'd ever heard. Stevie, Chris and Rebob were all
    STELLAR performers. Concert ended at 2:45 AM....got home at 6A (NH).

The Guitar Hero of the night however was in the band that opened for them:
    Paul Kossoff led FREE. The only time I've seen anything like it: They created
    a tornado or vortex right in the middle of the stage. and kept it there for an hour.

12. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Well, I've always been able to put my hands on a Traffic or Blind Faith LP or CD when I needed to. And I am pleased to say I've heard both many times on commercial radio.

The agree with you that the poster "nonsense" is mistaken, though. Although, hard to tell what he may even mean with an oblique retort like that.

And I agree with you that Winwood has never been seen beating his chest. Minimal schmoozing, riding the promotion circuit, appearing on TV shows and I 'd be surprised if someone here could show me where he appeared in an action movie or something. I think he's much more of a musician's musician than a lot of his peers.

+

As someone who has been "hyperbolic" himself (yeah, I confess, sometimes) I will say the Thread Title is over the top. One of the most underrated of all time? Easy does it, there. :^)

13. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Huge Winwood fan here.
    There are not too many who have the musical lineage that he does.
    And has that "voice"!! R&B, blues. folk and rock.
    The fact that he plays the B3 the way he does, sings, lead guitar and mandolin ( and who knows what else ) is inspirational.
    Compare two songs in his catalog: "Valerie" and "Can't Find My Way Hone". IMO, they couldn't be far apart musically. But Winwood's music has a little something for everyone.

rockon1 and Boris Bubbanov like this.
  14. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I think he is under appreciated as a guitarist, not so much under rated. Those who are familiar with his guitar work rave about how good he is.
    But most do not associate him with guitar, which is what I suspect the OPs underlying point is.
    As I say, I have been a fan for years, and seen footage of him with Blind Faith and some solo stuff ( not a lot, I don't think there is all that much video with him available) but only once with him having a guitar strapped on. And I am an old rock guy, a walking encyclopedia of rock era artists, but I had no clue until I seen that video that he played much more than some intermediate rhythm guitar.
    So again, underappreciated, only in that he is under recognize as a guitarist.

mycroftxxx likes this.
  15. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

Underrated? I'd say probably not. Between the Grammys, Hall of Fame induction, the length of his career at a high level, even the rating in Rolling Stone as one of the all-time great vocalists, and the depth of feeling for him by his fans, I'd say no - not underrated. I don't know anyone who thinks Steve Winwood sucks or is even mediocre. And he's got a hell of a rolodex and resume - lots of people that people think are great think Steve's great.

If there are any knocks against him, I'd say there are three, two of which aren't his fault, and the other isn't a fault at all: (1) His overall record sales lag behind some of the other superstars of the era, but that's not really his fault - record sales are a poor proxy for quality, (2) He played keyboard parts in the seventies and eighties using keyboard sounds and other production techniques that now sound a little dated, and (3) He keeps/kept a lower profile than some of his peers, so you don't really hear a lot of those rock mayhem stories about him that built various legends around some of his contemporaries. So - if the worst thing you can say about the guy is that he's made a lot of great music and kept it pretty low key, that's probably not so bad.

SnidelyWhiplash and LowVolume like this.
  16. Strat

Strat Member

I don't know how old you are but I was there and He was huge, every bit the star status. No one didn't know his name or output and "college radio " not where I lived, you could nt get away form Traffic on any station. Nonsense revisionist history in my opinion. I'm a Man alone was enough to cement his star status.

17. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I was an adult when Traffic got popular. Nobody really knew who he was other than die hard music fans and musicians. Chances are most people thought it was Spencer Davis singing I'm A Man and not Steve Winwood.
    I lived in a college town, and I got a lot of exposure to Traffic. We had a local late night station that played nothing but album cuts all night long, it was a Christian station by day, and went off at 6 PM, but suddenly started being an underground style rock station at night ( which at the time was a very odd combination). They played some Traffic, but again, not a lot.
    Traffic was a lot more like the Grateful Dead in that other than a couple of singles they didn't get a lot of airplay. After FM full time rock stations started popping up in the early 70s they often played entire albums on various shows in the evening, the first full time FM rock station had one or two evening shows a week that were special album play hours. I can't remember them playing a Traffic album.
    Again, die hard music fans and musicians knew the name Steve Winwood, album cover readers and like that, but the general public were mostly oblivious to him until his 80s hits. Which sadly, even then he seemed to get lumped in with all the 80s pop music, which is not what he was doing.
    I kind of equate him with Gary Brooker in that respect. Everybody everywhere heard Whiter Shade of Pale, but had no clue who the musicians were.
    In fact, when I tell younger guitarists who are Robin Trower fans that he at one time played with the band that did Whiter Shade of Pale, they tend to look over their glasses at me.
    My point being, Steve Winwood was a little more better known than that, but was pretty much the same deal in that he was always part of something bigger and for the most part quite anonymous about it to the general public.
    He didn't have the "Clapton is god" syndrome notoriety.

18. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Brilliant songwriter, one of the all time best vocalists IMHO, great keyboard and guitar player. I never saw Clapton happier onstage than when he was playing with Winwood.

Don't know that he is under-rated, except maybe as a guitarist, but he has never been as "famous" as many of his peers. And I never got the feeling that he cared. Strikes me as like Jeff Beck in that he has managed his career in a pretty casual, "I'll do this when I feel like it" way. More credit to him for that.

mycroftxxx likes this.
  19. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I get "underrated" compared to, say Clapton, who isn't as (astonishingly) multi-talented. I think part of the problem is his amazing catalog is spread across so many different acts. Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith (in which he's surely overshadowed by Clapton and possibly even Ginger Baker in terms of the band's historical legacy) and then, after many years, his solo act. As a kid in the heyday of classic rock (the '80s) I was familiar with so much of his catalog but had no idea how to track it down or even that the same dude created a lot of those amazing songs, whereas I always knew which songs were, say, Clapton's, even if it was Derek and the Dominoes or Cream. Hell, I finally learned Blind Faith's name on the Crossroads box set.

I think it every one of his famous tracks was clearly linked with his name he'd be an even bigger deal. -E

rockon1 likes this.
  20. rockon1

rockon1 Member

OK maybe "underrated" isnt the correct term.... or maybe it is. Im a huge fan. Sure his work has been acknowledged but, for instance, Traffic seems to take a back seat in terms of fame and fortune compared to a lot of their contemporaries. Well maybe cause I am such a big fan is why I see like that. :dunno