Steven Curtis Chapman

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by guitarz1972, Feb 8, 2012.

1. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

I got to see Steven Curtis Chapman in concert last night. Seen him a few times in the past, but this was a great show indeed. Probably 'cause my seats were so much better than ever before. lol

I know he doesn't get a lot of press here, but quite the guitarist IMO. And so much gear last night; I think he literally changed guitars about every song during his second set. He was tuned-down I guess a half-step on at least one of his older songs, but his voice is still great. The guy's got some very nice Taylors!

They really had a lot of instruments considering the size of the band. Bass player switched between electric bass and a double bass. Steven played various guitars, a banjo and a ukulele. He had Andrew Peterson and Josh Wilson with him, they each did some of their own numbers (again, each switching between various guitars, a mandolin and a banjo), and Steven played banjo throughout and even did a very respectable ukulele solo on one of Josh Wilson's songs.

Josh Wilson almost stole the show IMO. He did a version of Amazing Grace with a loop pedal using I think DADGAD, tap harmonics, unbelievable chord stretches, incredibly fast runs and was just unbelievably good by himself.

Anyway, for anybody who's a fan of Steven's it was a great show. A truly gifted player, singer and songwriter.

- C

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Saw him a couple of times years ago. Talented dude.

3. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

Great musician and an even better person. He and Mary Beth are some of the most humble people you can ever be around.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

When I was first learning the guitar, I actually picked up a little technique from listening to my dorm buddy's CD of him - it's called "try strumming up as well as down." That worked out for me, so thankee!

5. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

I'm covering one of his songs for a friend's wedding on Saturday

6. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

great musician, songwriter, etc...

but I'll admit I was never a "fan" of his... for whatever reason from that era/genre Rich Mullins was far more compelling of an inspiration.

I have seen him one though, and it is a great show.

7. mesa/boogieman

mesa/boogieman Senior Member

Does he play the electric too? I'm reading Mary Beth's book right now and she mentioned how early in his career the record execs were just interested in his guitar playing and not his voice.

I've only heard a few of his songs as I got into CCM only about 6 years ago. He is a fantastic song writer. His wife's book is helping through a very dark and tough time right now.

8. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

yeah, he plays both... or at least he used to.

9. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

"Joy comes in the morning." Keep your head up.

10. Cooters23

Cooters23 Member

I was at the show last night as well and was completely blown away. I'm a big Josh Wilson fan and my wife loves SCC. I had never been a huge fan of SCC but he was amazing last night. We sat five rows back in the center so our seats were killer as well which I'm sure helped but it was a great show regardless. Josh Wilson and Andrew Peterson were great as well. SCC is a much better player than I ever gave him credit for and had some of the best acoustic tone I've ever heard.

11. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Great singer/songwriter.
    And before he was famous he could do a spot on impersonation of Huey Lewis :)

12. Benjam226

Benjam226 Member

I wonder which one;)

13. cfo_deebiedaddy

cfo_deebiedaddy Member

Great singer, songwriter and guitarist. Huge fan of the Signs of life/Speechless albums