1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Steven Fryette post...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rwe333, Feb 19, 2009.

1. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

c/o VHTusers.com (in part) in response to this video:

On behalf of everyone here at Steven Fryette Design, we wish to thank you for all your support & enthusiasm for our new venture. I say "new," but as you know it's an exciting continuation of the legacy started 20 years ago when VHT was officially founded. The momentum borne of a 35 year pursuit of excellence has brought us to this point, and a dream was realized when VHT reached a level of worldwide recognition I might not necessarily have imagined at first. After many offers to sell VHT, late last year I was approached by a company who offered to buy the name only and who promised to offer something of quality and affordability. Ultimately, I said yes, and now as we celebrate our 20th anniversary we become 20 Years New in spirit and determination.

THE OPPORTUNITY TO BECOME A TRUE INNOVATOR: As a guitar player and certified gear geek I knew this would be my opportunity to grow as an artist and more importantly, take my technical dynamic as an amp designer to a much more intense level. Without a doubt, Fryette Amplifiers are sought out by the discriminating player who has access to everything, but the desire for greater accessibility demands that we become the technological leader at any price range we choose to operate in. This is a challenge I enthusiastically accept.

NAMM ANAHEIM 2009: The show was a blast. I'd like to thank everyone for stopping by the booth and expressing your support. Regarding the posted NAMM video, I need to say that playing with a camera in my face, isn't my favorite thing---- especially after a classic NAMM-style-night-on-the-town with the Voodoo Lab guys, 'nuf said. The video interviewer is Dmitri, our distributor in Russia...me, just trying to get through the surprise video ambush (and hoping someone would hand me an aspirin and a glass of water)!

THE WEBSITE: We've been shooting all new photos this week for the new FRYETTE website and are updating all of the product info, specifications, manuals, etc... Expect to see a long overdue site overhaul soon - great pics, detailed specs, easy navigation, new clips from some killer players, and eventually, more of the "elliptical ramblings".

DRIVE, DEDICATION & EXPERIENCE: Our mission has never had and never will have anything to do with ownership of tone or whatever anyone may consider to be boutique style. We have never considered ourselves to be a "boutique" company and we have never adorned ourselves with the pretense of boutique values - point to point wiring, finger-jointed cabinets - or any other nostalgia-inducing bullet points marketing people use to try to convince us that there must be some mystical magic that only certain gifted savants can posses. It is well established that we have never offered vintage clones or repackaged designs created by others, and never will. We never have used and never will use the term "tone" to describe what we do or how we define our sonic recipe. That is something we have always believed is in the hands of you, the players, and is barely definable let alone transferrable, and most definitely Not For Sale. You develop it and you earn it through drive, dedication and experience. To imply that one can "own it" through a mere product purchase has always been an abhorrent and ridiculous idea to us.

Your enthusiasm is what propels us forward. For that we thank you.

We will continue to create and innovate in hopes of proving that we are worthy of your continued support and respect.

Steven M Fryette

2. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

I for one well be glad to see the web site updated.

3. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

as long as he doesn't get sucked into a fryhole (futurama reference) ;)

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Great post, and an interesting contribution to the "tone is in the fingers" debate.

5. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

why would anyone want to buy a "name only"? anyone who knew VHT will know that it's now Fryette. and anyone who doesn't know that and thinks they're buying a real VHT will eventually find out they were duped. how long can a company existing trying to fool people? lame.

anyway, good for Steve for making some bonus capital from his years of toil. i'm sure he'll use it to innovate, expand and hopefully travel to some fabulous places with lots of sunshine and dark-skinned women.

and watch for my new line of Marsher amps later this year.

7. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

The Sig X...What an amp

8. matte

matte Senior Member

my #1 since it rolled in here out of the first batch.

stevie just swapped me out for the latest revision and it's even more incredible than my 1st generation sig x. much lower noise floor, squishier clean channel. just perfection.

what an incredibly brilliant human.

9. stratzrus

I don't know about Steve but that's my exit strategy. :D

10. JWK

JWK Member

Can you adjust how squishy the clean channel is?

11. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Yeah, run it in 100 watt/diode recto mode instead of 40 watt/tube recto.

12. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Eloquently stated, as always.

13. stratzrus

Just when my GAS was all gone too...

Matte, do you know if Steve can or will convert the original Sig:X to the latest revision?

Thanks.

14. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

That post makes me want a VHT/Fryette!

If only there were Sig:X's up here in Toronto...

15. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

There is a dealer somewhat close in Cobourg - worth a road trip: http://www.georgesguitars.com/

16. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Was that Borat interviewing him? :) That was some great comedic interaction there, hehe.

"So yes, it rocks harder."
    "No, ita rock bettah!"
    Fryette thinking "Someone club this guy and give me some Advil"
    :D

Glad to see he is still producing cool amps.

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Interesting quote! It's cool to hear someone's philosophy of making amps, really.

Now someone's going to have to invent a replacement for the T-word. ;)

18. anoobis

anoobis Member

Tell me, how is it you dupe someone if you offer a different amp model than any previous VHT? I would not be upset if I bought a new VHT and found out later that there was a different company before that was the original owner of the name. I buy the amp because I like the tones. As far as I can see, there are no copy models here. Nothing to be duped by. These are 'real' VHTs now.

19. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Well...if you buy an established brand you do so because of the name reconition and the weight it carries. It's easier for guys to get potential buyers to try something from a company with a great reputation than from some one no one knows anything about.

20. anoobis

anoobis Member

And if you look at the VHT site you will see a disclaimer right in front.
    You would have to be a pretty ignorant fellow to be 'hoodwinked' by these guys.

http://www.vhtamp.com/