Stevens Slant Basses

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by TaronKeim, Jul 10, 2006.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Just curious if anyone has had an experience or knows anyone who has with Micheal Stevens Slant basses... I absolutely love the look and vibe, and by hearing about his guitars, I can only assume they sound and feel as amazing as they look.

I've given up electric guitar completely but still want to play in bands so I'm shifting to drums and bass.

Great price on them as well, I'm sure the level of skill used in making them is matchless.

Linkage for the curious and uninformed: http://stevensguitars.com/models/images/models-slant5.html and www.stevensguitars.com

-TJK

2. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Any info on what looks to be a great bass?

-TJK

3. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Tremendous basses in the Fender-esque tradition. The one i checked out was extremely light, resonant, responsive and sounded terrific. (I still kick myself for not snagging it.)

4. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Really? Well that sounds fantastic... was it a standard build? kingwood board, maple neck and alder body?

-TJK

5. Bassomatic

I believe it was standard issue, but i didn't ask.

I had it on loan from Matte H. for a few days, who had it on loan from Mike S. Maybe Matte will drop in and clarify.

Imagine a Fender RB V taken up to the high end, super luthier level and you've got a pretty good idea of what these are about (less the boat anchor weight, of course).

6. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Dayam...

Thanks Basso!

-TJK

7. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

former performer's instrument

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thanks tradarama... if I could try it out (or play a 6-string neck) I'd definately give it some thought, it'd be nice just to feel the weight and check out the build though:D Thanks again.

-TJK

9. Bassomatic

Then there's this *sick* player's piece, Beck's own RB prototype, before he brought the concept to Fender for, um, downsizing (bolt on, cheaper materials, etc.):

[​IMG]

10. steve rowen

steve rowen Member

I spent thurs. evening with Mike S and Roscoe. Mike's basses are the ticket. The bass Mike built for Roscoe is the one used on "Talk to your Daughter", and is still His number 1 for studio work, although He uses a F----- endoresment bass on the road. There are luthiers that build on Mike's level that can be counted on one hand. Mike is a bass player too, so He really sweats the small stuff.

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Wow... thanks again fellas... that 6 string is a monster... had no idea Mike was a bass player.

I'll definately have to check his thang out.

-TJK