Stevens "Tall Texan" Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dana Olsen, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I went to their website last night and listened to most of their clips. The regular demos were good, but there are ALSO some clips of various guys using various Stevens pickups live, and some of the playing and grooving was totally wonderful.

http://www.sdpickups.com/

That's the website, and the live reviews are at : http://www.sdpickups.com/reviews.shtml

There's some really cool groovin' goin on over there!

And I admit it; I LOVE the tone of Strats, but I FIGHT with them all the time.... And I'm really diggin the sound of these Tall Texan p/u's ...

Pretty cool demo live by Robbie Laws of Portland - great stuff.

Also, check out the Mojo V demo by Karl Angerer - "Doin Allright" - great groovin!

Like I need more pickups (GRIN) If they sond like the samples, I may need more ...

Dana O

2. Matt F

Matt F Member

Dana,

I just installed a set of Stephens Texas Mojos in my strat two days ago.. Oh my goodness.. They are FANTASTIC! So glassy & punchy.. Very vintage sound with lots of output... If you are considering new Strat P/Us I don't think you could go wrong with Dave Stephen's pickups.

After putting in the pickups with my brother after just strumming a few chords and plucking a few notes I just had the "this is it feeling" and that rarely happens so I was very excited..

As for sounding like the samples they are very good depictions of how they "really" sound. But even better when you get that amp moving some air...and then you have Stratocaster Nirvana!

Thanks Mr. Stephens! They Mojos are SMOKIN!

3. Dana Olsen

Hey Matt -

I just loved the Tell Texan clips I heard, and I loved hearing a bunch of the bands of the players who were demoing Stephens pickups - there are some really nice players and some really deep grooves. Some of the "jump' bands just sounded great to me.

I'm a gear queer. I've got several sets of Lindy Fralins (Vintage Hot and Blues Specials - both wonderful pickups) and I'm pals with Seymour Duncan (lived in Santa Barbara for 11 years) so I've got some of those, a set of Jason Lollar's (the ones Mike DeTemple uses).

Those pickups all sound fantastic. The Tall Texans sound different than all the ones I just cited, and they sound fantastic too ,and a different flavor! And I'm not even a Strat guy, really. It's just a sound I gotta have in the arsenal, for recording etc.

I think my constant fighting with Strats is a set up issue - I may just have to tighten the claw WAY up, nearly lock the trem - that might do it. Then I might be able to 'deal' with the thing(s).

That said, I was really impressed with his pickups. The clips he plays himself sound OK - though each demo track is recorded a little scratchy to my ears, there's some unpleasant sounding artifact in there - but the live ones sound really good.

That's what I'm gonna do with 'em - play live! I might get a set.

Thanks for your earlier post and link. There are great sounding pickups and great players demoing them live, and that's good for me! Congrats on you new pickups too.

I love TGP - great info here.

Dana O

4. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

WOW....thanks for the tip on the SD pups Dana. After listening to all the clips on SD's site, the Tall Texan clips sound very impressive to me too. I hear a big bottom, nicely scooped mids with no mud cutter, and just enough top end bite. To me they sound like what Fender's Texas Specials should sound like....without the harsh mids. Sounds very close to what I'd consider to be the perfect Strat tone ;). Wonder how close the clips are to the real thing?

5. Smokehouse

Smokehouse Member

Put me down for the Mojo Stagger Strat set :D
    http://www.allthingsguitar.com/2004reviews/Mojo/StephensHigainNeck.mp3
    http://www.allthingsguitar.com/2004reviews/Mojo/StephensHigainNeckMiddle.mp3
    Clean......
    http://www.allthingsguitar.com/2004reviews/Mojo/StephensCleanNeck.mp3

But OMG ...take a listen to the tone of his Ice-House Possumcaster pups...A Tele with one of these in has gone to the top of my "Must Have" list !!
    Possumcaster sound clip one

Oh, and add this bad boy "The Ice-House Supercaster Rhythm" to it as well
    http://www.sdpickups.com/audio/retrosolo.mp3

Thanks to Dana for turning us on to these :dude

Smoke'

6. Dana Olsen

Hey Vaughan and Smoke -

I think these Tall Texans are really cool - especially the live demos. Vaughan, I've never played a set, but I'm interested. I'm hearing what you're hearing, plus it sounds to me like there's less 'mud' in the 2 and 4 position, but no excessive highs on the individual pickup positions, and I really like that.

Credit where credit is due: Matt F had a post a week back where he was thrilled with his Stephens Mojo set. I hadn't heard of 'em, so I followed Matt's link to the Stephens website, and followed the links there to the live demos.

I think I'm gonna get a set of those Tall Texans - they could be the 'real' me!

Plus, what's his Stephens (GRIN) sounds like an allright guy.

Dana

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Yup, I agree Dana....some righteous Strat tones in those Tall Texans. They sort of sound like an enhanced SRV type of sound. I think I'm going to try a set too once I free up a few bucks. The '59's sound great too, but the Tall Texans just sound bigger but with none of the mud that's typically associated with hotter pickups.

Make sure you post your thoughts if you get a set Dana....I think we like a similar type of Strat tone ;).

8. 1968

1968 Member

These pickups noisy at all??.. How do they compare to the blues Fralins?..

9. Dana Olsen

I haven't heard a set in person yet.

Go to the top of the page and follow the links to the demos, especially the "Live" demos. Stephens makes a lot of flavors of Strat p/u's - read through all the descriptions, and check out the demos.

Not only do the pickups sound good, some of the players and their bands are wonderful too. There do be some groovin goin on ....

Dana

10. Matt F

Matt F Member

I have the Texas Mojos and I do not find them noisy. However, they are not noiseless. In the 1/3/5 Pos there is that single coil hum that is very slight. I swapped out Noiseless P/Us in my strat because they were really sterile and only simulated the sound of a strat to my ears. To answer the question if they are noisy, no not really. Just awesome sounding Strat Pickups!

Matt