Stevie Ray tone - Bassman or Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FiestaRed, Jan 28, 2006.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

Which Fender amp will get me closer to the SRV tones? I know later in his career he user Marshalls, but how about Fenders? I've heard Vibrolux, SR. Bassman -- which would work better?

Thanks in advance!
    -Mark

2. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

i'm sure you'll get tons of answers, as this is a topic that will never go away! I personally was obsessed with his tone as well for years (if you can't tell:) ), but ultimately I gave up trying to sound like SRV...there will only be one, he did it best. Everyone else and his brother has attempted to cop his style and tone . My fist attempt at that tone was to purchase a super reverb - That will get you a good way there. If you want his earlier tone, it was mostly 4x10 supers and 1x15 vibroverbs. Any blackface fender amp is a good start. Most of his tone came in his hands, specifically his attack, vibrato, dynamics - this is what matters more than any amp, guitar, pickup, or whatever.

Get any blackface or even silverface fender reverb amp, OD of choice and a strat. Hot pickups are not necessary either - most people feel he used hot or overwound pickups, but when they checked out # 1 for the fender tribute guitars they found the pickups to be on the weak side.

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Blackface Super Reverb.

NOS Sylvania 6L6's and GE 5751's.

4. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

There's lots to it! Either a SR or a Bassman will get you in the neighborhood. Then a TS type pedla and a strat. Those are the basics. But it's still a long, long journey from there.

-Rich

5. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

Don't forget stringing 13's on your strat and tuning down a half step.

..see if your callouses rip off..

BK

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Talking with Jesse Davey pretty much solidified how to get his tone:

1.a strong running handwired fender with 4x10 speakers that MUST be EVs

2. Crank the volume to 7-9

3. crank the treble (yes, the treble... at those volumes, the high treble gives you the crystal quality to the sound.

thats it. I'm not kidding. i've tried it. It comes DARN close to "the" sound. But the reason 99.9% of the players struggle, is they are not willing to first track down 4 EV 10" speakers (hard to find) and then live with cranking a fender to beyond rediculous levels. Do you guys have ANY idea how hard it is to carry a super reverb with 4 evs? its darn near 130lbs+!

by the way, if you dont know who jesse davey is, go to his myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42569440

now listen to those clips he's got... they were done with just a Super six reverb (from the 70s) with 2 speakers removed and the above setup (so basically just a 100watt super reverb). He mentioned that he did use ts9s here and there...but with the gain nearly off and the level cranked... he mentions about 90% of the gain you hear is straight from the amp.

7. Liquid Quarter

Liquid Quarter Member

If you're looking for the "el Mocambo" tone..................'64 Vibroverb.

If you watch the video, note the 2 Vibroverbs flanking the Super.

LQ

8. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Listened to a couple of Jesse's clips. I'd say he is at least a good 55%-60% of the way there.

You may want to try reading the numerous interviews with both Rene Martinez and Cesar Diaz from back in the days when they used to work with Stevie. It's probably the closest thing to getting the information"first hand" - from the cats that were actually helping SRV shape his tone on a nightly basis.

9. Squier83

Squier83 Member

Couldn't resist... :)

The REAL SRV tone which you can hear throughout his recorded career was
    mostly the Dumble Steel String Singer 150W amp. He only used the vibroverb to drive his vibratone leslie speaker.

By the way, I have another one of the 2 Mystique amp "King tone consouls" for sale at the moment. That amp sounds exactly the same than the original except that the price is a bit different...

Also, I have a 68' Fender Vibratone Leslie for sale if you're intrested in.

PM if you're intrested in!

Olli

10. davebc

davebc Member

The BF Super was also loaded with Electro Voice speakers. Stevie had to change the baffle board to house them.

11. Teleplayer

Wonder how many folks know that Stevie was actually endorsed by EV and ran EV speakers in the 4x12's he used live (some Mesas and some Marshalls). As others here have said - also ran EV's in his SR's. BTW- that's what I read in interviews with Rene and Cesar - not stuff I made up or thought up on my own.

12. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure he had JBL's on the El Macambo video.

13. Teleplayer

I'm also pretty sure that the El Macambo was before Cesar started working with Stevie. Not sure if Stevie had his endorsement deal with EV at that point yet.

14. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

yep, JBLs in the VV's on the el Mocambo show, 4x10 EVs in the Super.

Stevie didnt switch out the JBLs for Ev's til after Texas Flood era.

15. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

At any rate, I think a bassman or super wills surely get you into the right territory (along with a ts9).

16. Matt H

Matt H Guest

one thing i've found that works prett ywell...

take fendery clean channel, run it loud into a cab w/ 4x10's and a cab with 1x15. i've gotten some pretty convincing stevie tone around my apartment lately (only when none of the neighbors are around! hahah) running a bassman 50 into a quad of emi legend 105s and a ceramic weber cali. (i wouldn't recommend alnicos, unless they were really high powered- i don't hear a lot of speaker compression in his earlier tones...)

I wasn't on a "must sound like sRV" quest... it kinda happened, it was fun. ran a strat into SD-1 into bassman 50 into aforementioned speaker cabs...

moral of the story anyway- if you've got a super- get a 1x15 extension cab... it's not running two amps- but still gets you most of the way there. :)

17. davebc

davebc Member

Not long ago I used BF Super loaded with EV's for an evening. The guy who owned it was a total Stevie freek. Initially, I thought he was kind of a knucklehead for messing with an original Super, until I plugged in. Damn! What an amazing feeling and sounding rig, effortless to play. It really brought the Super to a whole new level.

18. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

A Marshall Major - good luck... ;)

19. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

LOL!

Marshall majors should be rated on the fujimata scale (or whatever the tornado scale is)

20. MrClean

MrClean Member

SRV's Tone?
    Take a Super Reverb,crank it up....and play:RoCkIn
    :eek:

I have a Blackface BandMaster 66',it's very nice for this style.....:dude