• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stevie Ray Vaughan & David Bowie Live video ?

louis

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guy's !..........I've allways wanted to see a video of them together
but never found any ,..............anyone knows ?

Tx

Dave2512

I've never seen any if it exists at all. Even the few audio bits are rare, there is a rehearsal out there I think.

arem

I have MP3's of a full rehearsal,the band sounds great and SRV really fits in even on the older material. Too band his management messed up and blew the gig for him.

mango

I thought I read somewhere SRV never did the tour cause he wasn't keen on the material and gig to begin with, and in the end wanted to tour his own record that'd just been released.
That is my understanding as well.He was more concerned with his own project,

sixstringfuel

Hotdogs kill
Gold Supporting Member
I thought he never did the tour cause Bowie didn't want to pay him a reasonable amount or let double trouble open the shows.

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I'd like to know the real facts, I had just always heard SRV said no to the tour because of his Band/Buddys.

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
I thought he never did the tour cause Bowie didn't want to pay him a reasonable amount or let double trouble open the shows.
Think the truth somewhere in the middle, and more at the management level for both sides than Bowie vs. Vaughan. I'd hazard to guess the money (at least for SRV) was fine - Bowie had many long-term sidemen who were fairly compensated.
But, dear SRV supported his band first/foremost. Conversations re: SRV/Double Trouble opening shows an issue? Tommy/Chris a priority.

55hz

I've always thought SRV didn't do the tour because Bowie wouldn't let him discuss or play any shows with his band whilst he was on tour with him.

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
It's fairly complicated why SRV never did any shows for the Serious Moonlight tour.
A lot of factors played in than just 'Bowie would only pay....' etc, etc.
As far as I know there isn't any film or video of SRV in the Bowie band.
The Dallas rehearsals however are very good and worth finding. They include every song Bowie and his band would play for the entire tour.
The most common and best sounding tape is from April 27, 1983.
It took a long time for low generation tapes to emerge.
Any fan of Bowie or SRV will really enjoy them!

dead of night

Stevie was no good for the Bowie material anyway, unless you want to hear him slopping the blues scale over Space Oddity.

Last edited:

sws1

01 - The Jean Genie (intro) [00:00]
02 - Star [00:49]
03 - Heroes [03:22]
04 - What In The World [08:25]
05 - Look Back In Anger [12:24]
06 - Joe The Lion [15:46]
07 - Wild Is The Wind [18:51]
08 - Golden Years [23:55]
09 - Fashion [27:39]
10 - Let's Dance [30:24]
11 - Red Sails [35:49]
12 - Breaking Glass [39:41]
13 - Life On Mars [42:52]
14 - Sorrow [46:46]
15 - Cat People [49:43]
16 - China Girl [54:21]
17 - Scary Monsters (false start) [01:00:05]
18 - Rebel Rebel [01:04:39]
19 - I Can't Explain [01:07:21]
20 - White Light, White Heat [01:10:11]
21 - Station To Station [01:15:22]
22 - Cracked Actor [01:23:24]
23 - Ashes To Ashes [01:26:35]

gigs

01 - The Jean Genie (intro) [00:00]
02 - Star [00:49]
03 - Heroes [03:22]
04 - What In The World [08:25]
05 - Look Back In Anger [12:24]
06 - Joe The Lion [15:46]
07 - Wild Is The Wind [18:51]
08 - Golden Years [23:55]
09 - Fashion [27:39]
10 - Let's Dance [30:24]
11 - Red Sails [35:49]
12 - Breaking Glass [39:41]
13 - Life On Mars [42:52]
14 - Sorrow [46:46]
15 - Cat People [49:43]
16 - China Girl [54:21]
17 - Scary Monsters (false start) [01:00:05]
18 - Rebel Rebel [01:04:39]
19 - I Can't Explain [01:07:21]
20 - White Light, White Heat [01:10:11]
21 - Station To Station [01:15:22]
22 - Cracked Actor [01:23:24]
23 - Ashes To Ashes [01:26:35]
Thanks... will def check this out over Christmas break when I'm just sittin around.

louis

Silver Supporting Member
The money part is exactly what I've heard a long time ago ,....and apparently that when he
came back to Texas ,.........poeple were happy that he didn't came back with brown lipstick
and said to him F**k the Englshman !!.....You deserve more !!

Thank's sws1 for the Dallas reheasrsal

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
At 34:00 and 57:00 you can hear some magic from SRV. He's really just doing basic blues stuff but man he had something special in those fingers. It would have been great if they played a blues song for him to let loose on.

JRC4558Dude

I'd like to know the real facts, I had just always heard SRV said no to the tour because of his Band/Buddys.
That's pretty much the story.

On Bowie's side, they reportedly were asking Stevie not to do any interviews or press to promote his own career.

On Stevie's side, his management reportedly wasn't happy about how much he would be paid, and supposedly Stevie wasn't too comfortable with the choreographed stage moves that he was expected to do. It just wasn't a good move for Stevie, overall.

Over time, I think this myth has sort of grown about Stevie blowing off the biggest tour of the year, with an international superstar.

At the heart of it, I think, was simply Stevie's loyalty to Tommy and Chris, and his desire to go his own way.

monty

On Stevie's side, his management reportedly wasn't happy about how much he would be paid, and supposedly Stevie wasn't too comfortable with the choreographed stage moves that he was expected to do. It just wasn't a good move for Stevie, overall.
That is what one of the guys in DT said in the Montreaux dvd I have.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
i don't know the real story of all this, just the things i read.
after SRV's passing and the story kept getting retold, i think the one thing that i think of:
is how much respect i have for SRV and how ballsy of a move that is.
to quit one of the biggest tours of that era, w/ one of the biggest artists of the day, and just walk away.
and stay with his little known band.
sure he had a lot of push from the bowie connection, but to just stick with his friends/little unknown band....that was gutsy.

i of course was a big Tin Machine fan, and I was just rereading some old articles, and it said that the sales brothers knew
that when Tin Machine ended, that really no one had a lifelong career with bowie, b/c he constantly changed things up....
just interesting that SRV was really one of the few people who walked away, b/c not a lot of people walked away from him....

Dave2512

I think it was a bit more than he just walked. More than one SRV bio mentions his wife being part of what became a negotiation differences.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom