Stevie Ray Vaughan Lenny Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fenderbender4, Sep 29, 2008.

1. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

Could someone shed some light on this guitar for me? I am talking about the original and not the replicas Fender recently released. What kind of wood was the body made out of? Also, is it true that it was set up with lighter strings than Stevie's .13's? Thanks. I am just enamored with SRV's clean tone on Lenny from El Mocambo.

2. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

I've seen the original but was in a glass case, but the replica's at 17K also glass cased side by side I'm sure have to be close to identical.

3. 8Painting

8Painting Member

he had 10's on it i know that much

4. 73watermutt

73watermutt Member

I played one of the replica Lennys at GC and I fell in LOVE with it but not with the price tag.

5. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

3-piece Alder body, sanded and reshaped pretty heavily. Almost 1/8" "smaller" all around the perimeter. The tummy cut and arm contour was also reshaped considerably. Routed for a humbucker in the middle position.
    The neck was a Charvel neck, brass side dots, fake Fender logo.
    Strung with .013s.
    Fender bridge with Mighty Mite "toilet seat" saddles slammed against the back of the bridge due to the thick string gauge. String spacing at the bridge was 2.125, but the saddles were narrow spaced "Gibson" width, allowing the saddles to pinch closer together. The strings were still on the brink of falling off the side of the neck.
    :)

6. mikespe

mikespe Member

I love the "Lenny" tone and put it up there with Clapton's "Woman" tone. This was the song that got me hooked on Fender cleans...and on strats!

7. mg550

mg550 Supporting Member

Amen, brother. That's a legendary performance.

8. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

+1 :bow

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I sheepishly admit I have aimed some serious high rollers I know at that guitar, knowing that if one of them actually bought a Lenny replica, the commission boys (and manager) at that GC who knew where the sale came from would take mighty good care of me.

As for a replica Lenny for me? Forget it, at that price it may as well not exist.

Bubbanov

10. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I made the mistake of noodling away into an amp at GC a few months ago over the Lenny changes. Instantly the salesguy reappeared with the $17k guitar and insisted that I play it. Which seemed weird because I'm definitely not one of those customers who pops in there very often to spend $17,000 on impulse. Either way though, he set me up with a Tube Screamer, the Lenny Strat, and (I think?) a Twin and had me go to town. Honestly... I was not impressed. Not $17,000 impressed at least. It looked like a beat up Strat. It sounded like... a beat up Strat. Which is to say, fine. Just not awesome. I definitely consider that a collector's guitar, not a player's axe, although I highly doubt anyone would argue that point with me. If it was mine, I'd play it alright... but it wouldn't stand out against any other good vintage or vintage-enough Strat.

11. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

thanks for the info

12. pedaLkrama

pedaLkrama Member

I got to check out LENNY at Clapton's auction while back, 4 or 5 years? Can't remember. I still have the auction book which has pictures and specs, I'll dig it out and see if it says anything remarkable. I put my hand around the neck, didn't really play it, but felt it. It had an amazing energy/presence but seemed like a so so, parts instrument honestly.
    T