Stevie Ray Vaughn Strat Owners -- Please Sound Off

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BSHARP, Jan 25, 2006.

1. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I've been Gas'n for another Strat lately. I have a SSH and I'm looking for a SSS. The SRV is at the top of my list along with the Eric Johnson. I'm also thinking abouth the Suhr Classic. I'd like to hear from other SRV owners and what they think about the SRV compared to others.

2. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Just went through this myself. Love the SRV and actually prefer the rosewood(pau ferro) over maple. In the end the EJ won out, mostly because I've never had a nitro finished strat before and because of the left hand trem on the SRV. An SRV is still in the future for me at some point but I could not be happier with the EJ. Hope you get lots of comments to help with the decision

3. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I havn't been able to find a EJ to try out, but our local GC just got the SRV in and I hope to try it this weekend.

4. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

Don't overlook the John Mayer strat. I tried it along side the SRV and EC models and that is the one I came home with. To me it felt best. Definitely something you should check out before making your decision.

P.S. The case is awesome as well :AOK

5. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

Igehrig4 - What sold you on the John Mayer? - (If you can put it in words)

6. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I had an SRV strat once. It was very average. I've played others that were pretty nice. Fender is all over the map, quality wise. I think a good solid used Grosh guitar with Nitro finish is gonna get you in the "SRV zone" much better than any production Fender, at @ the same pricepoint.

G&L guitars are, imho, Fender Custom Shop quality and can be had for $500-$650 every day used. An incredible value...

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree with AJ. G&Ls are substantially better than Fenders overall.

8. lgehrig4

To me the most important thing is the way the guitar feels and how easy it is to play. When I test out a guitar I don't even plug it in because I usually just end up switching out the pups anyway (plus I don't want anyone to hear how bad I play ;) )

The Mayer neck feels better than any neck I've played on so far. The frets are tall, but narrow. The edges are just rounded enough and the radius is perfect. Not too rounded and not too flat. I actually preferred the flatter 12degree (i.e. G&L Legacy) before I tried this. Another thing is that 10's feel like 9's. I don't know why or how, but they are just easier to work on this guitar :confused:

As far as quality, the neck fits tightly in the pocket, the finish is beautiful and believe it or not, the factory set up needed no adjusting. As an added bonus, I actually like the pickups so they are staying in. I will just have to buy another strat for my Van Zandts.

Supposedly the neck is 1 5/8 at the nut, but for some reason it feels wider and the strings are less crowded. Maybe it's just a perfect fit for me, but I play both chords and lead better with this. Since I am not a skilled player, I am more sensitive to the generosity of an easy playing guitar.

For my relatively short time (5yrs) playing I have had quite a few instruments so it's not like I'm comparing this to the one Squier I had a few months ago (actually never had a Squier).

American Deluxe Strat
    2 Tokai strats (84' & 85')
    G&L Legacy
    3 Warmoth strats
    LP Standard
    Wolfgang Special
    Wolfgang Standard
    Warmoth Tele
    Fender Strat Plus
    Jimmy Vaughan Strat(going out to buy it right after this post ;) )

I'm not good at reviewing this stuff, but if you have specific questions I can go into more detail for you. Definitely try one before you buy!

Good Luck
    Jeff

9. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

And I`ll bet you own a Grosh. This thread is about Fender Strats, specifically the SRV. Stay on topic.

CT.

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Nope, actually I don't own a Grosh. I've played a bunch and did own one before. I do own a G&L, though, and I've got a Lentz on order...

Staying on topic just in regards to Fender Strats: again, they are all over the map, very inconsistent in terms of quality. My best advice is to try 'em before you buy. There are excellent Fender guitars out there, you just gotta search for them...

If you absolutely stuck on owning a Strat that says Fender on the headstock, and you are in the budget range of a new SRV or EJ strat, I recommend a used Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic as being a consistently better instrument than a production Fender (although some of the EJ's I've seen are real nice guitars)... there are alot of companies out there that make better quality Stratocaster style guitars than production Fenders these days, that are much closer to Leo Fender's original vision of a great guitar, including Leo's own company G&L, but also Grosh, Melancon, Suhr, Tyler and others..... Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilts compete well with the companies I've mentioned (and, imho, are better than some of those companies I've mentioned), but then they are $3200-$4000 new. THOSE are the real deal Fender strats.

just my humble opinion and just my experience of over 20 years searching for great guitars

11. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

As far as specifically to the SRV Strat, that instrument bares very little resemblance to SRV's actual #1 Strat... from the thicker finish to the 9.5 inch radius (SRV's was 12 on his #1 after several refrets), to the cheaper frets, to the pickups which aren't anything like SRV's underwound pickups, the Fender SRV Strat doesn't share much with SRV's actual Strat other than name. Not sure if that matters to you

Now, having said all that, you could walk into a store and play an SRV Strat that speaks to you and sounds killer. As I said they are out there, very very good Fenders, you just gotta search for them. With Fender I always recommend going to a store and playing all the Strats, from the MIM's to the CS's, and see if you find one that feels just right. THAT is the Fender you should buy. I guarantee you if you go and buy an identical model online from the one that spoke to you, it'll be an entirely different instrument. Play before you buy

12. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

I've had mine since '93 and have loved every minute of owning/playing it. It's everything that I think of when I think Strat - with the exception of the gold hardware.

[​IMG]

Mike

13. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I just A/B'd SRV, Mayer, & EJ Strats and came home with the SRV. In my hands, the SRV felt & sounded better....but that's personal taste I'm sure. They were all ok in their own way but, having played about a dozen SRV's over the past few years, this particular one was head & shoulders above the rest. But that's how Strats go....there are gems & dogs in the whole line. However, my Jimmy Vaughan Strat will hold its own with any of the above at half the price. It will be interesting though to see if my new SRV will be able to knock my JV Strat out of the #1 slot ;).

14. lgehrig4

I just came back from Guitar Center with a JV strat. When I bought the Mayer last week I also tried one of these and liked it. With all the raving reviews and low price I figured what the heck...

They had a new one for $579 and a used for $440. I was set on buying the used, but it did not come with a case and the new one from what I saw had a tighter fitting neck. If I had to buy a case the savings would have been less than $100 which isn't enough to motivate me to buy used.

15. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I also have a 93 first run. Very early serial number with the Brazilian fretboard. I've been through alot of guitars in the past 13 yrs..........many of them strats. With the exception of a certain 73 strat I should have kept.........this one has stood the test of time with me . I've never owned anything for 13 yrs. Its family now.

The neck is second to none. Plays amazing and the finish has started to settle into the body wonderfully. I also wish it didn't have the gold hardware.........why does it have it at all? Stevies guitar didn't have it.......:confused: But thats life. I'm not crazy aboutthe left handed trem but I have it blocked off anyway so it doesn't matter. Great great guitar. Very loud unplugged........I tossed the Texas Specials a long time ago for a set of Kinmans. I'm probably gonna experiment more in that dept. Great Guitar. [​IMG]

16. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

The SRV is the best guitar I've owned in years. I just wish they made a maple fingerboard version as well...

I'm using Dimarzio Virtual Vintage pickups in mine and it screams, crys and does everything an SRV strat should.

I also replaced the pickguard 'cuz walking into a joint with SRV on your guitar is like wearing the fedora and cowboy beats... I don't want to have to measure up to that!

Gold hardware doesn't bother me. It'll wear off. I'm just glad it's got vintage style bridge and tuners. I love the LH trem.

17. lgehrig4

I'm not sure about his tuners, but his left handed trem bridge was gold

18. lgehrig4

:D .....awe come on, you know you have a fedora & boots hanging in your closet somewhere.

19. sws1

sws1 Member

I used to own SRV (99 model) and now own the Mayer. I like the smooth neck back, and the pickups much better. Plus, my Mayer just sang to me. I love it.

20. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Silver Supporting Member

The picture I posted on the previous page still has the gold hardware. I've since switched out the tuners and input jack with silver. The pickguard screws and most of the pickup screws have all turned black. The other cool thing is that the guitar is actually aging like an old, heavily played Strat should - it's getting arm wear!

Really is a great guitar. The Mayer model isn't bad either. I had one in CFM for a couple of months but sold it on ebay and bought a Gretsch.

Mike