Stevie Wonder story -

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Sidney Vicious, May 6, 2016.

1. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Member

Stevie Wonder was rained out at the Jazz Fest this year - the Fair Grounds flooded with a monsoon and lightening - but he stuck around town and played a couple of nights at a local club. I missed it all but enjoyed this read - laughed at the "I'm blind - you can't read the look on my face."

A snippet:

Wonder was finally seated near the stage. He’d be off and on that stage for the next two hours, starting as he had left off at the Fair Grounds: leading a “Purple Rain” singalong.

He played harpejji, an electronic guitar/keyboard hybrid, and piano. He riffed on the New Orleans classics “Mother-in-Law” and “You Talk Too Much.” He honored Mayfield’s request for “Ribbon in the Sky.” He applauded Troy Andrews’ trumpet solo during “St. James Infirmary,” then added his own harmonica solo.

“He was like, ‘Don’t end the song. Give me the mic,’ ” Mayfield said. “I tried to end the set three times. I said, ‘Stevie’s got that look on his face — I think he might want to get out of here.’ He said, ‘I’m blind, first of all — you can’t read the look on my face. And you’re wrong. I’m going to give whatever you give.’ And we played on.”

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.co...-onstage-with-irvin-mayfield-during-jazz-fest

Wolfgangsta likes this.
  2. agradywills

agradywills Member

Stevie Wonder is a national treasure indeed. A little story (don't mean to sidetrack) but I signed up for a jazz gig about 3 months ago and had to learn a handful of standards along with some Wonder tunes (You are the sunshine of my life, Signed sealed delivered, Knocks me off my feet, Love's in need of love today, Overjoyed). Wow, what great (and challenging :eeks) chord progressions. I suddenly realized I needed to start really brushing up on my jazz comping skills to get all of these songs right. To be fair I'm really a Rock, country, R&B guitar player who dabbles in jazz every now and then. Learning these Stevie Wonder tunes made me appreciate what a musician he was. To play these fine 'jazzy' chords, sing over them, play the harmonica and turn them into hits was just incredible. I understand now what the hype was all about. Love the guy.

3. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

As old as he is now, his voice is still amazing.

Ethn Hayabusa and JiveTurkey like this.
  4. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Jeri Brown, Stevie's drummer, has few stories aside from " You cannot sandbag any chart in this band, because the boss has played them all!"
    He told me about arriving at the Wonder warehouse/rehearsal facility in LA. Jeri opened the door to the main room, an SW was at the far end, at least 100 ft away. "Jeri, come on in, and who is that lady with you?"

Brown had brought a guest who was wearing flat shoes, and the hallway to the door was carpeted. The distance was too great for her perfume to tip him off. Jeri still doesn't know how Stevie knew.

Baxtercat likes this.
  5. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Indeed ... IMO definitely a major contender for the 'greatest of them all" ...
    On every level that is ... Musician, Singer & Song Writer ...
    A deeper part of my personal DNA then even the Beatles, Stones or James Brown.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    deluxeman and JiveTurkey like this.
  6. radicool

radicool Member

I'm not surprised by any of these stories. Stevie's got that mysterious "something" that only true musical geniuses have. He was born to play, and whether or not he could see the instruments had no bearing on it.

deluxeman and Ethn Hayabusa like this.
  7. DamianL

DamianL Member

Oh man...just love the man and his music...

This thread has inspired me to go listen to some...

Ethn Hayabusa likes this.
  8. prototype

prototype Member

fraud

one of many pics of stevie courtside at an NBA game:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there's also a rumor floating around that oprah bought him a car at one point...