Stew-Mac Rock-n-Roller neck rests...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by cyguitar, Feb 6, 2012.

1. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

Do you use them on a carpeted surface? I just got mine, and used them on my butcher block table/work bench. They slide on that surface. I have a towel that goes under the body of the guitars, but not under the neck.

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

I hate mine on a soft/padded surface (like soft rubber mat,,,or carpet) - Rocker (and guitar) will fall over at the drop of a hat. With a firm, thin mat I have 0 isues.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. mikeylikesit

mikeylikesit Member

I just bought one of these myself and it does want to slide around easily when used on a smooth surface. I'm thinking it needs a piece of semi sticky material glued to its outside radius. I may try a piece of thin cork like whats on the neck cradle.

4. blong

blong Member

I have a carpeted work bench. I also put a regular old bath towel on top so I don't have to vacuum shavings off the bench top. My neck rests (the cantaloupe kind from StewMac you are talking about) don't slide on that. If you use the table for other things and don't want to carpet it, then get some of that stuff from the dollar store that is for lining drawers and cut and glue it to fit the neck rest. That, or just cut a small square and always place it under the neck rest. It will stop sliding.

Bob

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the damn thing kept falling over sideways!

these are way better:

[​IMG]

you find 'em at gun shops, leather bags filled with shot or sand to rest rifles on.

6. cyguitar

cyguitar Member

I have one of those as well (Shooter's Ridge). I wanted to try the Rock-n-Rollers though. I think they will give a bit more support under the neck (more surface area), when doing a fret level. I know, get one of the Stew-Mac neck jigs. Can't afford that, so for now I have to do the best with what I've got.

7. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Shameless plug...:D

[​IMG]