• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stick with Switchcraft jacks or give Pure Tone a try?

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
I am about to order some replacement electronics for a partscaster I have and was just wondering about the TGP opinion here. Is the Pure Tone Jack an upgrade worth trying or is Switchcraft the way to go? What are your thoughts and experiences here. What is the current wisdom on pots also if you don’t mind sharing as well. I like quality and don’t mind paying for reliable performance and I have heard CTS are disappointing as of late?
Thanks,
Barnzy

All my guitars have now Puretone jacks.
It's amazing how much stronger they are as in how tight they grab the connector.

I went from having to tighten the input jack almost every week to not ever touching it.

Edit because of needless confusion: In my last band´s rehearsal space there were easily 6-8 instruments, many pedals and 3 to 4 amps every week...it was rare that I didn't need to tighten the TRS connector in one of those in the middle of a rehearsal. it was not the same one every week, but it became a chore, and I was like "f+ck it" and changed every one of my guitars to puretone and the other guitarist (who worked in a music store and did set-ups) was "converted" as soon as he tried them.

As for pots...I don't have first-hand experience, but I'm very eager to try the Emerson Pro CTS Pots (8% tolerance) from stewmac

edit: I have heard truly hyped over the top reviews about the "new" dunlop super pots.
But apparently (have not tried them so I cannot confirm) you need to ground them differently than "regular" pots because part of the body is plastic.

Last edited:

John Hurtt

Platinum Supporting Member
Puretone jacks are fine, though IMO they are a solution looking for a problem. Switchcraft have been the industry standard for decades, and work as designed. @FunctionOverForm if you are having problems with Switchcraft loosening up where you have to tighten them every week, than it's the installation...not the jack. Use a star washer, this will stop the problem. Since the Puretone uses the same connection end, you should do the same thing or you will experience the same problem, as both are the same.

Now, if you are having to bend the plug connection every week to make better contact when your jack is inserted...you need to look at the installation again as you should be able to go years and not have to do that.

I've heard a couple people here say they've seen issues with CTS pots, but I've never experienced any issues. Fender uses them in hundreds of thousands of guitars every year with no abnormal failures reported. Suhr Guitars use the high end Alpha pots with good results. There are Bournes pot fans, and they are smooth feeling pots. Both Mojotone and Emerson sell nice feeling and performing pots, both are manufactured for them by CTS.

Killed_by_Death

Get CTS, but not directly CTS, get the DiMarzio or Emerson version:

Pure-Tone?
why?
Is there something lacking with the Switchcraft?

tighten the input jack almost every week
A simple lock-washer would have fixed that on your OUTPUT jack.

I should have specified...i meant mostly tightening the inside part that touches the cable.

the "regular" ones just have 1 point of connection while puretones have 4 (and are also convex) so they grab the connector better.

John Hurtt

I should have specified...i meant mostly tightening the inside part that touches the cable.

the "regular" ones just have 1 point of connection while puretones have 4 (and are also convex) so they grab the connector better.
You are gaining no extra "tone" or signal by this. Again, the Puretone jacks are only a couple bucks more and if you feel they are better for you use them. But you shouldn't need to tighten the inside connector either. You either have an installation issue with the Switchcraft, or you are bending the inside connector for no result other than fatiguing the metal and making it weaker.

You are gaining no extra "tone" or signal by this. Again, the Puretone jacks are only a couple bucks more and if you feel they are better for you use them. But you shouldn't need to tighten the inside connector either. You either have an installation issue with the Switchcraft, or you are bending the inside connector for no result other than fatiguing the metal and making it weaker.
who is talking about extra "tone" or signal?

They literally "grab" the connector better/harder/more "secure" than a regular jack because it has 4 points of connection instead of only 1 and those are convex, not "flat" like regular jacks.

You literally need to use more force to put it in or take it out because it is TIGHTER

I dont know why I have to defend a simple fact so hard XD

Im happy that you all have amazing experiences with other high quality brands.
I'm just sharing my personal experience
I had problems with "regular" jacks and I started using these for everything and those problems disappeared. end of the story xD
its not like I own stock in the company xD

John Hurtt

who is talking about extra "tone" or signal?

They literally "grab" the connector better/harder/more "secure" than a regular jack because it has 4 points of connection instead of only 1 and those are convex, not "flat" like regular jacks.

You literally need to use more force to put it in or take it out because it is TIGHTER

I dont know why I have to defend a simple fact so hard XD

Im happy that you all have amazing experiences with other high quality brands.
I'm just sharing my personal experience
I had problems with "regular" jacks and I started using these for everything and those problems disappeared. end of the story xD
its not like I own stock in the company xD
I stated earlier that Puretone are fine and if you like them to use them. You don't need to "defend" anything. I'm just saying that the Puretone design is not giving you anything extra signal wise and that if you are constantly bending the Switchcraft jack you have a different problem causing that. As an fyi, you shouldn't be "forcing" your jack in and out....it should slip in/out snugly.

As an fyi, you shouldn't be "forcing" your jack in and out....it should slip in/out snugly.
English is not my native language, so maybe "force" is not the correct them in this case.
But they surely feel much tighter and secure. For me, that's a big plus.
Maybe other people could dislike them for that very same reason.

I think the grabbing is figurative.
Maybe something is lost in translation...but why?
You have much more surface touching the connector

walterw

the actual switchcraft jack itself is far better construction; it's obvious when you hold them side by side, the puretone thing is a neat idea applied to a cheaply made jack.

real switchcraft panel jacks are still working fine on guitars and amps more than a 1/2 century old

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
real switchcraft panel jacks are still working fine on guitars and amps more than a 1/2 century old
And depending on use they have to have been cleaned and the tip is worn.
Oxidation of the ground ring does happen and the redundant ground of the PT should ensure better contact, and a surface that gets wiped with insertion. We'll know in a decade or so.
It looks like a better long term result with PT, other things equal.

walterw

It looks like a better long term result with PT, other things equal.
but it's not equal; the puretone is obviously a cheap east-asian made jack with a clever gimmick.

now if a real company like switchcraft or neutrik made a version then i might take it seriously

in fact they do, and have for a while, the switchcraft #2T11

you never see them because it's not necessary

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
you never see them because it's not necessary
That Switchcraft uses the same design principle lends further credibility to the concept.
Perhaps you have not worked on old amps or other devices where time takes its toll or encountered plugs that were just not quite right for the jack.
This design addresses those problems; they are real world things.
Fine to use the Switchcraft, the PT is excessively redundant, imo, too, but given a PT or some other questionable ordinary jack, I'd take a PT for the features.

walterw

Perhaps you have not worked on old amps or other devices where time takes its toll or encountered plugs that were just not quite right for the jack.
trust me i have
given a PT or some other questionable ordinary jack, I'd take a PT for the features.
sure, but since the real switchcraft #11 is like $2 i can't see a reason to ever bother with those lesser choices

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
One more point about the OP's situation.

I had one such problematic jack. I'd find myself having to tension it every week.

Finally, I studied it, and noticed that the angle of the tip was such that it wasn't fully nesting into the tip of the jack.

A bit of judicious bending with a needle nose pliers, and it's been fine ever since.

... Thom

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
trust me i have
I would have expected.

sure, but since the real switchcraft #11 is like $2 i can't see a reason to ever bother with those lesser choices
The choice is good but the part is rare and pricey.
$10 at Allparts
$10.99 at a Cdn seller.
Local electronics stores are a slim fraction of what they used to be.
I would keep those onhand if I could just walk in and buy them for $2. :dude

Top Bottom