• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stick with Switchcraft jacks or give Pure Tone a try?

Switchcraft has a proven track record, years and years of solid performance. PT has yet to prove itself, it'll be a while before I, or anyone else, can gage their reliability.

I went from having to tighten the input jack almost every week to not ever touching it.
should have specified...i meant mostly tightening the inside part that touches the cable
Were all these input Jack's switchcraft? Just wondering.

Chris Scott

the actual switchcraft jack itself is far better construction; it's obvious when you hold them side by side, the puretone thing is a neat idea applied to a cheaply made jack.

real switchcraft panel jacks are still working fine on guitars and amps more than a 1/2 century old

I decided to give 'em a try about 6 years ago, and bought 20. I'm finally out of stock.

My asessment? - they work the same. But after a number of clients calling me to say they weren't getting any sound outta their guitar ("....just push it in harder, like I told ya when you picked it up" ;)), I decided to just stick with good ol' Switchies.

Creating problems to solve, squared. Imo of course.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
after a number of clients calling me to say they weren't getting any sound outta their guitar ("....just push it in harder, like I told ya when you picked it up" ;)), I decided to just stick with good ol' Switchies.
what, they weren't pushing the plug all the way in? like the jack was too stiff so it felt like they had it fully connected when it wasn't?

Chris Scott

what, they weren't pushing the plug all the way in? like the jack was too stiff so it felt like they had it fully connected when it wasn't?

Yup, the PT jacks have two "clicks" to be totally engaged, as opposed to the Switchcraft's one.

...it's a "click thang" ya know. ;) Plus, some people just aren't paying attention I guess. :facepalm

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
OP here… I ended up buying a new Switchcraft jack. The cheap construction argument swayed me away from Pure Tone. Every other instrument I have is Switchcraft equipped with no issues, so that is something to consider! I also went with the Dimarzio pots as well. Should have a solid electronics package in this guitar I am fixing up!

BenTobith

Fragile Harmonics
Platinum Supporting Member
It is difficult enough to remove my lead/cable from my SG as-is with Switchcraft. Can't imagine wanting that to be tighter.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
It is difficult enough to remove my lead/cable from my SG as-is with Switchcraft. Can't imagine wanting that to be tighter.
In my limited experience, a super stiff jack is usually a result of the hole being slightly on the narrow side or the jack plate being slightly skewed.

Of course, if the cavity is shielded/grounded, you'll know immediately, or have fun debugging it. Ask me how I know ;-)

With a Gibson style jack mounting plate, I'd try rotating it 180 degrees, or perhaps loosening the jack nut and rotating the jack a bit - these steps after unscrewing the plate and observing the jack's clearance relationship to the jack hole.

... Thom

Last edited:
Moving slightly sideways, how are the Switchcraft barrel sockets?

They are getting near $20-30 here ($AUS), so pondering replacement options (mounting plate and open frame socket?).

Timtam

who is talking about extra "tone" or signal?
Pure Tone do talk about tone and signal ...
"The patented Pure Tone jack contains dual tension grounds and dual positive tips for optimal signal and lowest possible noise. 100% greater surface area at all contact points creates a more stable connection; as a result, high and low frequencies are greatly improved creating a much more balanced sound while eliminating frequency spikes. "
puretonetechnologies.com/products/pure-tone-multi-contact-1-4-output-jack

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9680264B2/en
A patent requires no proof of (signal improvement) claims. Without proof ... snake oil.

Last edited:

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
There is a simple answer to the OP's question. Buy one and give it a try and form your own view on quality and function.
I didn’t want to pay the upcharge on the Jack unless it was reviewed well here. I only wanted to pay shipping, wait for parts to be imported and keep my guitar project on hold if the Jack was proven by others here to be an clear improvement. I also didn’t want to do this particular experiment of evaluating the pure Tone Jack in my gear at this time. I really just want to get playing. I got alot of great opinions in this thread by people I know make smart decisions concerning guitar gear. In the end I was convinced to stick with the Switchcraft jack. All in all, I think this was the simple solution really!

stratamania

@Barnzy of course Switchcraft have been around for ages and are proven and workable.

Although I have not used the Puretone yet to any degree I recently wired one up and will see how it works out in the guitar I have put it in when it is complete. So far to me it seems of a good quality which will provide a solid connection to the plug of the guitar lead. This is not the same as whether a jack has been tightened correctly it is about the connectivity itself between plug and jack. Quite a few folks I know of have given Puretone positive reviews which is why I have a couple to try.

Barnzy

Silver Supporting Member
@Barnzy a lot of reviews from users can be seen at the StewMac site.

Pure Tone Multi-Contact 1/4" Output Jack - StewMac
Honestly it is a pretty discussion worthy topic for TGP here. I did read the user reviews on StewMac but those reviews are from buyers and tend to be overly favourable for several reasons (confirmation bias and all). Doesn’t mean they are not to be trusted… just that I wanted to check opinions from several sources. If you look at my thread history I tend to seek opinions here often on gear related inquiries… I may not always agree with everyone but it work well for me. TGP hasn’t steered me wrong very often believe it or not.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom