Stickers on your guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dansworld, Dec 2, 2018.

Do you adorn your instrument with stickers or other accoutrements?

1. Yes, it's fun and cool!

99 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Yes, such a great way to hide that huge chunk out of the finish!

17 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. No way! My guitar needs no adornment

315 vote(s)
    69.7%
  4. No, it affects resale value...

21 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

[​IMG]

Something bad is going to happen here....watch your tan pants, don't let them get hurt!

HurricaneJesus, monty and cap10kirk like this.
  2. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan Member

[​IMG]

Trying to get Rogue Ales to send me beer bottle decal.

itchyfingers likes this.
  3. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Supporting Member

4. vashuba

vashuba Supporting Member

5. monty

monty Member

I bought a couple of those packs a few years ago to put on some guitars in honour of my very ill pops who had them on out old Pontiac when I was a kid.

Mike Duncan likes this.
  6. p.j.

p.j. Member

Not to be mistaken for Earl Gold.

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Not something that I do over excessively, but, yes, both my main bass and my main and only electric guitar does have stickers.

Here's my Epiphone SG Special guitar with a Sherman Filterbank II sticker on it (also painted the pickguard green and swapped out the stock knobs with some chikenhead style ones):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 10:54 PM
    Mike Duncan, dansworld and JukeBoxRat like this.
  8. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Yes, I’ve started playing with stickers again in my 50’s.

jerrycampbell, monty and JeffHaddad like this.
  9. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    This guitar body was already boogered up when I got it so I added some cool SoCal Speed Shop decals. I don’t think I’d put any stickers or decals on a guitar with a good finish.

[​IMG]

I bought this Gretsch from a pro player that had a sticker on it and then tape over that. I’m leaving it on because it’s cool that the original owner put that there.

10. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Good for you! I'm 61 now and my sticker collection is larger, more diverse and cooler than ever!

Motorcycle Stickers, Bicycle Stickers, Band Stickers, gear stickers, cool artsy stickers, vintage stickers, geographic stickers, cool moire pattern stickers, (my favorite) Mandelbrot set stickers and any other sticker I see that tickles my fancy. I love logos, artwork, neat sayings and anything graphical that I find interesting and amusing.

Life is too short to not enjoy the things you find cool and good for you with re-embracing such a seemingly juvenile and unnecessary thing (according to so many farts around here).

Hoard 'em, collect 'em, trade 'em, enjoy 'em, stick 'em on stuff or not, it's your business and your pleasure to do with as you please until you literally can't any longer.

One of the reasons I started this post (other than my own amusement) was to see how many people here liked stickers as much as I do and whether they use them for personalizing their instruments. A great many of you put stickers on your guitars and I absolutely love what you all have done and how you individually have chosen great ways to express yourselves using "portable artwork". It's interesting that most people either stickerize their guitars or cases...I don't see anyone accessorizing their amps in the same way.

Anyhow, sorry so many people react strongly and negatively to the idea of even stickers themselves, but that's how they feel and they do for whatever reason which is great for them.

My only dilemma is what to do with my very favorite stickers that I have ended up with. My mind goes back to a prized "Wax Trax Records" sticker I put on the stem of my old Bridgestone MB-1 that I sold 30 years ago.

[​IMG]

How I miss that bike, there was no other mountain bike that compared to the MB-1 and mine had a sticker right on the stem proclaiming my love of Industrial Music. The late 80's, those were the days!

Amazing how a logo, or name or picture can conjure a mood, a memory, a feeling or sensory connection. These stickers are little pieces of history, like those STP stickers some of you have or those very cool "Moon Eyes" form the Hot Rods of long ago. Looking at them reminds me of Ed Roth Rat Fink artwork and my mind wanders to all of the giant drawings I used to do back then of muscle cars with HUGE rear tires and flaming headers hanging in the air.

I digress. Anyhow, this has been a fun and entertaining thread for me. Thanks and have a great Holiday season!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 10:27 AM
    HurricaneJesus and Sigmund Floyd like this.
  11. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Pedal Dan likes this.
  12. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Haha reading this put a smile on my face because I think we’re a lot alike. I have a growing collection of stickers, some of which have sat unused for years because I’m never totally sure if the stickee (is that a word) is “worthy” of a vintage F1 sticker or whatever. All of my toolboxes, cases, rear windshields WILL wind up stickered.
    I’m pretty thoughtful with stickering my guitars, though. I’ve got stickers on the back of two of my “keeper, possibly being buried with, maybe handing down to family member” guitars. Wouldn’t wanna waste a good STP on a guitar I’m not keeping forever, right???

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 1:10 PM
    dansworld likes this.
  13. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Here’s my contribution to the sticker debate:

monty and dansworld like this.