• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Stickiest Picks?

Josh O

Okay all you butterfingers out there, what picks are you using that give you the best grip. I've been using the Dunlop Ultex's for awhile and they keep slipping out of my fingers. I've tried the Dunlop Gator's and they work for a bit but the coating wears off and I'm back to square one. The only pick I can remember not giving me grief was this one that had a hole bunch of little holes drilled in it. I can't find it anywhere, don't remember who made it and can't find a store that has them. Probably not made anymore. What suggestions do you have? I usually use a .73, standard type pick (no gel, no jazz, no huge triangle, etc) or thereabouts although I've also goofed withed Fender heavy's. What should I look at?

AshlandBump

I use Dunlop picks but I solved my slipping problem with Gorilla Snot (nice name). It's like pine tar for your fingers, put a dab on and the pick will stick. I think you can order it on line but I buy mine at Guitar Center. Usually stocked in the drum department -- $5.00 for a jar, lasts a long time.

dazco

The shinier the surface the better they stick once your fingers heat up a bit. Think about it...try running your finger acre=oss a window. Now try it with a textured surface of any kind. You'll see what i mean. Dunlop derlins with the slick surface work well. The ones with the pink .71's, red .96's, etc.

muddy

Sand Grip Wizard Series

PA16MS-BL / Polyacetal
0.8mm thickness

just discovered these, and i LOVE them!

ml

El Jimbo

Originally posted by dazco
The shinier the surface the better they stick once your fingers heat up a bit. Think about it...try running your finger acre=oss a window. Now try it with a textured surface of any kind. You'll see what i mean. Dunlop derlins with the slick surface work well. The ones with the pink .71's, red .96's, etc.
Hmmm, not sure about that. I drop celluloid ones often and they're pretty damn smooth.

Josh O

Originally posted by muddy
Sand Grip Wizard Series

PA16MS-BL / Polyacetal
0.8mm thickness

just discovered these, and i LOVE them!

ml
where'd you find those?

Wheels

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by Josh O
...The only pick I can remember not giving me grief was this one that had a hole bunch of little holes drilled in it. I can't find it anywhere, don't remember who made it and can't find a store that has them. Probably not made anymore.
Hey Josh,
Are the picks you are talking about wegen picks?

http://www.wegenpicks.com/

Wheels

Josh O

Hey wheels,

No, those arent' them. All I remember is it was black and had a bunch of tiny holes drilled into the grip area. Maybe they were called Pick Grip?

Scott, I've seen those before but never bought, perhaps it's time.

Motorhed

the brain picks are great, i got a pack of the orange ones and sam ash.

i found these ones called wedgie, they have an indentation in them, they're regular materials but that indentation makes for a great grip

one thing you can always do, get a really small drill bit and put some holes in the pick.

B

Bill D

I stick tiny squares of no-slip friction tape (safety tape) on my smooth picks to add a positive grip surface. The tape comes in rolls at the hardware store, has an adhesive back, and sells by the foot. Very inexpensive, available in various degrees of grippiness, only need a small bit for each face on the pick. Works for plastic, stone, metal, whatever.

muddy

on ebay. ibanez only makes 'em for the japanese market (in fact, they make quite a few really good picks for the japanese), while in america, they only offer us the equivalent of the same old fender pick.

josh, you're thinking of the pickboys:

ml

where'd you find those?

Wheels

Platinum Supporting Member
Hey wheels,

No, those arent' them. All I remember is it was black and had a bunch of tiny holes drilled into the grip area. Maybe they were called Pick Grip?
Hey Josh,

Just to double check...did you scroll down to the "bluegrass" picks and the "big city" picks?

I like the look of those sand grip picks.

Wheels

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
I liked the Ultex picks when the came out, but I can't use them because I can't grip them. I keep coming back to the Fender Extra Heavy classic celluloid. If the printing is thick enough, I don't have any trouble with the grip.

Josh O

muddy,

Those are the one.

I'm going to give those Everly picks a go and also will buy some Gorilla snot, especially if I switch back to any of my other picks. I'm dumping the Ultex's, they wear down too quick and break easy.

Powerslave214

muddy said:
on ebay. ibanez only makes 'em for the japanese market (in fact, they make quite a few really good picks for the japanese), while in america, they only offer us the equivalent of the same old fender pick.
That reminds me....I came across some various pick colors/materials on the Ibanez Japan website that aren't marketed here in the US. A couple of German dealers carry some of them, but I'd love to find a vendor I can order from. I love the shape of the Paul Gilbert models, but I prefer the polyacetal material of the Vai picks. Definitely NOT the same polyacetal that they use for the Sand/Rubber Grip Wizards, nor the same polyacetal that Clayton uses. If anyone here has a lead on where I could order the ones not available in the US, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/accessories/page/picks_metallic.html

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/accessories/page/picks_grip_wizard.html

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/accessories/page/picks_body_color.html

The ones I am most interested in are as follows:

--Basic Color Series--
Polyacetal PA14H-BK (1.0 mm)
Celluloid CE14H-BK (1.0mm)

--Body Color Series--
Rigid Polyvinly Chloride PV16H-CAM (1.0mm)
" PV16H-GRM (1.0mm)
" PV16H-JBM (1.0mm)

--Metallic Series--
Celluloid CE14H-HTN (1.0mm)
" CE14H-HTC "
" CE14H-HTB "
" CE14H-HSN "
" CE14H-HSC "
" CE14H-HSB "
" CE16H-HTN "
" CE16H-HTC "
" CE16H-HTB "