Stiff string tension?

fuzzbox

I just swapped out a Fender strat body for another and it seems like the string tension got stiffer. Same neck, same hardware and everything else. Didn't need to adjust anything really since the action ended up being the same. So why is this? I see this with same model guitars in stores as well. "Some guitar just have a stiffer tension" is what I hear. But why is this and what can be done? I don't feel like going down in gage from 10s to 9s.

swiveltung

Only thing I can think of is the earlier guitar had fewer springs, marginally tensioned, compared with the new one? I just don't feel tension differences in strats with the trem decked.

Last edited:

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Search the archives.
Lots of speculation.
No conclusion.
Go down a half gauge and that will cure the feel problem.

fuzzbox

Same springs and I always flush the bridge with the body so it doesn't move.

Only thing I can think of is the earlier guitar had fewer strings, marginally tensioned, compared with the new one? I just don't feel tension differences in strats with the trem decked.

sshan25

Silver Supporting Member
Yup. I've given up wondering why some guitars feel stiffer than others. They just do. I just change string gauges now and it's all good.

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
Not to be of any help, but I changed a neck on a stiff Tele and it was just as stiff as the previous one....

Last edited:

fuzzbox

Yup. I've given up wondering why some guitars feel stiffer than others. They just do. I just change string gauges now and it's all good.
I feel lighter gage compromise tuning stability and I also tend to over bend. Does it affect you?

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
So that tells me the problem is mainly with bodies. Before I changed the body it wasn't as stiff.
I'm bewildered why the body changed things, given the hardware and springs (and presumably the string angle) are the same....

sshan25

Silver Supporting Member
I feel lighter gage compromise tuning stability and I also tend to over bend. Does it affect you?
As l've gotten older, l've moved ton
lighter gauge strings and raised my action a bit. l've developed a lighter touch with more control and l like my vibrato better with lighter strings.

bluesoul

Any swap body/neck will require intonation check. Usually there will be a noticeable difference. The string tension can change quite a bit because of this.
That would be my first guess. Keep in mind that the action may be good based on Ht..but the distance between how things mount can change...a little change can make a big difference in tension.

fuzzbox

Thanks for all the responses. I might have to take it in and get a pro setup. Possibly in need of a new nut anyway. Hopefully it will solve the tension a bit. I might also try out a gage half below just to see how it works out.

Trending Topics