still cant get over my soldano SLO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Oct 13, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

man,had this thing bout 2 months now,tried different guitars and speakers and styles of music with it and it hangs in there with anything u throw at it..
    ive been jammin with a strat lately and i'm in strat heaven,such a clear punchy driven tone--back off the volume and it cleans right up with that hair of grain around the notes.
    stick in the lespaul adjust tone pots to suit and u r in LP heaven--such singing effortless sustain.........
    i dont think this amp is going anywhere soon,still trying out more speakers..
    just had to vent!
    j

2. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

That's probably one of the all time greatest tones you'll hear IMO. I had a Hot Rod 50 + which has the same exact gain channel as the SLO and you're right, it just smokes! :dude

I had to get rid of it because at 50 watts I didn't get many opportunites to really open it up.:(

Enjoy!!!

3. GrisGrisFunk

GrisGrisFunk Member

I know what you mean brutha! :dude Speaking of heaven, this pic came out kind of heavenly. I'm starting to think the SLO is the Holy Grail of amps!

[​IMG]

Mike

4. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

*sits in corner of thread, envious*

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Yep. I've wondered why folks here don't talk about Soldano much..it's always Bogner or some boutique brand but for me nothing touches Soldano. Lord knows I've tried!

6. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I saw Widespread Panic recently, the guitar tech brought out their old guitar players rig (sorry, I forgot his name, may he rest in peace). I was pretty blown away by the tone. Fender Tele Deluxe (w/lace sensors), SLO and a Boogie 2x12. Blistering tone!

7. 83stratman

83stratman Member

SLOs smoke! If I was ever to spend too much money on an amp it would be an SLO for sure.

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Interesting... when Soldano first came out, alot of my friends were saying it was the greatest amp ever, but they aren't hyped as much anymore, any specific reasons why?

9. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Vent man vent!!

I've got a Soldano Avenger 50W and I love it. Nearly a year with it now and still blows me away and makes me smile. I didn't buy this until I tried a few different amps and I just kept coming back to this one. Every other amp I tried couldn't get the "sound" that I could easily find in the Avenger.

I think that's one of the things that really impressed me with this amp. You can pretty much put the knobs almost anywhere and it sounds great. No tweakin' required. Just rip!!

Try that with a Mesa:crazy

BTW What speakers have you tried and liked the most?

10. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Maybe because they don't advertise (rely on word of mouth and their product to speak for itself) and because they don't (won't) endorse anyone.

11. JWR

JWR Member

Those Hot Rod 50's are good amps. I have one that I tend to play through more than anything. Slap in some good NOS tubes and these are tough to beat.

12. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i dont wana talk too soon but! the SLO may be ONE of the best amps ever produced...it realy makes my boogie and newer marshall gear look more like entry level stuff...i aint kidding.

13. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Soldano SLO100's are awesome amps, I would have bought one but I liked the clean tone of the Guytron much more. If all I needed was a killer lead tone I would probably have a SLO...maybe one of these days when I have some extra coin laying around.

14. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

SLO's are one of my fav amps. Someday, I'll afford one.

Alot of the people here love pedals and use them to get their dirt. Soldano's provide it out of the box. One reason they aren't talked about. The next thing is, they are too powerful/loud. Most of the amps here are much lower wattage.

15. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Don't want to hijack the thread but I'm curious to know 'which' NOS tubes sound good to you in the Soldano? Thanks.

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

Actually, I think the SLO sounds great at lower volumes as well, though it sounds incredible when the master is above 4. The cleans are a bit mid heavy, but I use a Barber BarbEQ pedal to scoop the mids out, and get a more BF bloom to the tone. The SLO is a great amp for sure!

17. JWR

JWR Member

I like the old Tung Sol 5881. I got a pretty good deal on some GE's that were actually Mullards so I'm using those for preamp tubes. I just stuck a Sovtek in the effects loop since I don't use it.

I'm just really curious if the SLO sounds THAT much better than these other Soldanos. They do have a different transformer and the multiple channels.

18. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Yeah, the non gain channel is way different. It's why I don't own one of the cheaper ones.

19. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

SLO is a great amp, I only sold mine because the clean sound wasn't usefull to me, I prefer both the Shiva, and Sabre clean. The gain channel is really nice, and it's very well built.
    E.B.

20. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

I'd had all the HR series heads before I finally bought an SLO...there's a BIG difference.

The SLO rearranged my ears and taught me a new benchmark in what good tone is. Amazing amp.