Still Digging the Belle Epoch?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GLinks, Feb 16, 2015.

1. GLinks

GLinks Member

This is for all the early-adopters, the wait-and-seers, the got-it-for-Christmasers, the sold-it-and-bought-it-againers, and those still haunted from selling it.

Who still has love for the Catalinbread Belle Epoch? I just ordered one from Musicians Friend at a price I couldn't pass up.

My setup is still simple: Classic Player Jaguar/BB ProCoRat RI/Line 6 M5/Bearfoot EGOD & RRB/VP jr/DE7/Bassman RI.

I was thinking I might really love the Epoch since I have the Bassman and no effects loop, so why not take a chance on a delay that shines out in front of an amp?

I don't really use the M5 for delay, weirdly, and moreso, I find I like the reverb up front, after the Rat. Then the M5 has some additional use as a Muff, a para EQ, a tremolo or odd modulation. Plus, I just really don't like the sound of it last in the chain, for whatever reason. Muddies up the DE7 when it's in close proximity. I know this setup is kind of not conventional, it's just the placement where everything works well together.

But anyway, I want a delay that stands out. The DE7 is so good at nice underneath tones, and great at near oscillation and being soupy when you want it, and still great for leads -- especially with fuzz. I guess I want a complimentary tape echo simulation to the DE7 that contrasts basically by being more "up front." If I needed another type of delay sound, I could always turn to the M5 for now. I just let loose a a Supa Puss I didn't dislike, I just want to keep the space as tight as I can until I decide on a board and what I really need.

Also, I've been looking for a reason to try a Catalinbread pedal for a long time now. Will I be pleased with the Belle Epoch as a first impression?

2. Ivo

Ivo Member

Can't speak for how you would like it, but the Belle Epoch is absolutely both my favorite delay and pedal on my board. Have owned it for nearly a year and a half. I'm using my Skreddy Echo for the applications you described to the DE7 and they compliment each other nicely in that way.

3. americananalog

americananalog Member

I haven't heard any Youtube demos that sound good. However I just saw Eric Johnson play on friday and he has one on his board (and an Echorec).

4. GLinks

GLinks Member

Thanks! I had read that in some of the threads. Thanks for reiterating that aspect. Gives me hope for some fairly clear to fairly dirty repeats, with usefulness throughout the range. I'm really excited by this pedal. I've withstood a lot of hype to get here!

5. GLinks

GLinks Member

That's great to hear. Yeah, the Skreddy Echo is one of several pedals of his I'd love to try.

6. TREV FLINT

TREV FLINT Member

In my experience Belle works GREAT after a Fuzz Face ,....might be why Eric Johnson likes it.

7. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Still love it. I'd love it more if they made one with tap tempo. I might <gulp> sell my other delays.

8. GLinks

GLinks Member

I hope it does. That would play into my future plans nicely. I'd love to also hear any comments about how well it plays with other types of fuzz -- benders, muffs, hybrids?

9. uyarchie

uyarchie Member

Still have mine =)

10. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Still love mine and have learned to live with the slight warming/darkening of the dry signal when engaged.

Sometimes I contemplate trying the Echorec in its place but I think I'd miss the Rec Level on the Belle.

One of the reasons I haven't replaced it is because there are very few alternatives in the same calibre as the Belle. It really is the best tape-emulation I've ever heard.. and felt (because it responds beautifully) - and yes it works great in the front end of an amp, or even before dirt pedals!

Hanging out for a V2 with tap-tempo output jack and external trails/boost controls.

11. JesterR

JesterR Member

I still think, that BE is great. However now I am using Echorec for more Hank Marvin kind of tones.
    But one thing, that I should notice, that there are too much marketing stuff into "works great before dirty amp". I mean yes, BE IS great and it IS works great before dirty amp, but other delays also does it really well. I really liked strymon El Cap before dirty amp, and one reason that I see, that people does not use it in that way, because Strymon did not release a demo in front of dirty amp, and catalinbread did it.

12. meowmers

meowmers Member

Still digging it.

Clear analog tape sounding delays despite it being a digital pedal.

Awesome preamp that alters your base tone. (YMMV)

Delay after OD is the usual way to go, but you could try sticking a low-mid gain drive AFTER the belle which will compress the repeats and your signal altogether into some glue. Try it, you might like it.

Dial up the REC Level and get thicker repeats, MIX knob to taste.

Enjoy the tape warble from the MOD knob.

After all that good stuff trying the Belle, starts to ponder why it doesn't come with a tap tempo.

Then figure out that the original Echoplex didn't have one, and it should stay that way. I use my Diamond MMLjr for the tap tempo delays, beautiful as well.

13. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I was at the Friday show he keeps it on alot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

I love mine. It's the best in front of a dirty amp I've heard. The key is the record control, as others have said.

The built in boost (factory/default setting) is great with this use- built in boost w delay. Perfect for solos.

If you're one of those dudes that turns on 12 pedals at once and plays that way all the time there's probably a lot better choices of delays for ambient, whale fart rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. meowmers

meowmers Member

You could use it like a built in boost with delay thing which is very very awesome sauce

for me i'm keeping it on buffered-bypass mode so the trails don't die and the preamp is always on

16. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Yep - buffered bypass. Mine has "tone" and "sway" labels. Love this pedal. Its staying on the board.

17. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

:roll

18. rotlung

rotlung Member

I sold mine and I regret it. The negatives for me were the fact that the preamp wasn't my always on solution for a tone enhancer. It darkens and thickens the signal, but in an unpleasant way for rhythm. The preamp does great things for lead lines though, so in my experience it was better left in true bypass, although I bought it wanted the trails and preamp. I also couldn't get along with the modulation. It was too random and pitch-bending, the knob could only be used with a touch of modulation or it became too whacky.

That being said, it was one of the best feeling and most intuitive delays I've ever owned. It sat behind the guitar perfectly without becoming too muddy or too bright. The delays are simply perfect for what an analog delay should do, despite it being digital.

19. GLinks

GLinks Member

Anyone using a compressor in the chain with it? I'm compressor-less at the moment, thanks to my amp and what my low-gain EGDM can dial in, but I'd like add a PGC down the road.

Does the Belle Epoch play nice with pedal compression, and does it have a preference for Ross- or opto-types? Even a hint is appreciated here.

20. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I ALWAYS have a compressor on my board. The Belle Epoch works well with all my effects.

I'm using the FX Engineering RAF Mirage - its the best compressor I've had, and I've owned a bunch of them.