Still I haven't found the clean OD I'm looking for

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by whitewave, Jan 26, 2008.

1. whitewave

whitewave Member

Hi,
    I'm still looking for my main OD pedal. I have the main distortion coming from the two channels amp I'm using, but I need an OD that gives me clean sustain, something that makes the amp like it's on its full blast but crunchy with guitar volume pot, a full frequencies spectrum sounding pedal, not thin as many TS9 like effects, not bright as others.
    I don't need too much gain from the pedal, it has only to enhance the amp possibilities, with a fat tone and very good bass response, tight and fast on response, absolutely not bright or SRV like, but refined, creamy, big. It must have great power, I mean that it should sound bigger and with more volume than the main sound.
    The comp cut setting of the Fulldrive is quite close, but I don't like the way the tone work. It's a bit too open sounding in upper range, while I want a smoother response.
    Many boost (I've had Fat Boost and SHO) are nice for the crunch sound, but they don't give me the bold strings response under fingers and the sustain.
    I built a TS808 clone with some Keeley mods and many tweaks on clipping section, finally I got it to sound wonderful, but it plays better keeping the gain at higher settings. I need something else.
    A pedal with two channels, and the second one very creamy, gainy and big would be wonderful, like the way the FD2 boost works. But I know it would be more difficult too.
    I'm thinking to MI Audio and Barber (I had the Direct Drive and the Crunch Box, and I think they are the best qp ratio pedal out there) but, really, I'm open to all suggestions, even to try something different of an OD.

Thanks.

2. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain Member

I like my MXR GT-OD. It's the green "Custom Shop" OD pedal. With the gain all the way down, it can give a great clean boost, but with varying the gain and level controls, you can use it as a regular distortion pedal or you can slam your amp's front end into next year. This thing is capable of borderline ridiculous amounts of boost.

3. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I'm getting there with a Xotic BB at low gain setting (8:30).

I've been through a Honeybee, Hotcake Bluesberry, Eternity Burst, Timmy, SRB808+, and a few others as of lately.

I was looking at a Jetter GSR but that doesn't sound like it's really what I'm looking for.

I am very satisfied with a '90s TS-9 that I moded a few years back with an upgrade kit off eBay (RC4558D, carbon comp resistors, etc.)...but I would like to avoid the mid emphasis and have true bypass.

The Xotic BB is the closest I have come so far.

4. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    try the blackstone appliances mosfet OD.... i just got it in trade and it may kick the timmy off of my board...

5. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I haven't had the desire to dunk bread on it...but, I've heard the Klon shines at what your wanting. I'm sure some Klon cats will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps some of the other clean blend pedals would be an option as well....sparkle drive (though it does have a bit of that Tube Screamer flava), and I know I've seen posts of others. Way Huge Pork Pie is supposed to do this too but I haven't heard it yet either.

6. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

Didn't even think about my Tim...to me it's great for what he's describing. I've been eyeballing the blackstone for a while now. Nice eh?

7. whitewave

whitewave Member

I was worried about the Klon suggestion, it's supposed to do what I need, but I can't and I don't want to afford it. I can't spend on a pedal the money for a Peavey Classic 30 or a Fender Blues Jr.
    Timmy.. interesting. But I'm in Italy, it's quite difficult to phone Paul C.

Please, keep on posting your suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

8. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Barber LDT VS.2 will thicken your tone just as you described ..
    You can add a little grit if you turn it up the drive,
    but all it does basically is make it sound like you've just added a thicker guage of string..
    & it will not cost you an arm & a leg ...

9. whitewave

whitewave Member

Barber, as I said, are on top of my list. LTD and Small Fry are very interesting, the way you describe it makes me want to try.

Thanks.

10. 89strat

89strat Member

How about a barber tone press. It's a compressor with a blend function and it really adds that big, blooming sound with the added benefit of nice sustain and touch sensitivity. It's not just clean, it's a very musical sounding clean.

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

12. whitewave

whitewave Member

Tone Press is another option, Zendrive mmh... too expensive.
    As for expensive pedal I'm thinking only to Okko Twin Sonic.

I play a Dumble style amp, a Ceriatone Overtone, with a PRS CE-22 maple top with WCR Goodwoods.

Thanks

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

A tp is about 140 at last check.A Zen around 180.

14. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

15. KCWM

KCWM Member

From what you're describing, it sounds like I got that same kind of sound with a Boss Blues Driver, modded with the monte allums DIY H20 mod. I ended up replacing it with my Box of Rock.

I let someone borrow it to see if they wanted to purchase it and they described it as "plenty creamy" but they wanted it to have a switch similar to the Keeley modded Blues Driver.

There are pedals out there that have a better reputation, cost more, are probably more effective, but I'm regretting selling that Blues Driver.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, a blues driver and mod kit is pretty cheap.

16. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

"Clean OD"

DOES NOT COMPUTE

[​IMG]

17. blueprint

blueprint Member

You described an OKKO TwinSonic.

18. Strat58

Strat58 Member

HI try the Rodenberg828 :)
    Peace Strat58

19. ROKY

ROKY Member

J. Everman Fuzz Drive

The G2 is the latest version and most accessible,but I have 2 of
    the earlier versions w/ the internal dip switches . They are amazing,
    and like everyone else here is saying about their suggestions :

' They're perfect for what you describe ..'

Do read the reviews if you can, they very accurately describe what
    the Fuzz drive does with your amp - I'm very pleased with my 2.
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/...om+Audio+Effects/Fuzz+Drive+Generation+2/10/1

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/.../Everman+Custom+Audio+Effects/Fuzz+Drive/10/1

20. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

What kind of guitar and amp are you playing?

Are you playing with your amp clean?