1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Still in love with my GSP1101

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by drew7000, May 16, 2011.

1. drew7000

drew7000 Member

So lately there has been quite a bit of buzz about the new Pod HDs and the Axe FX II. Like others, I've looked into "upgrading" to one of these newer units and have decided not to.

I tried a Pod HD500 and sent it back as I actually prefer the tone (and all the additional features) of my Pod X3 Pro.

I used an Axe Fx Ultra for a short period of time and was definitely impressed with it. My concern with it was that if anything went wrong with it, I don't have another $2,000 to shell out on a moments notice.

All said, I spent the better part of a decade searching for and purchasing both pedals and amps I wanted. Shortly before purchasing my GSP1101 I had a very impressive pedalboard and somehow I was lucky enough not to suffer any serious "tone suck" as others have. After purchasing my GSP1101, I spent months of testing (A/B-ing) and decided that the GSP1101 stays......the pedals go. I cannot believe just how amazing this unit sounds. Its probably considered "outdated" with all the new products on the market. Also, it definitely doesn't have the "Cool Factor" in owning one as some of the newer stuff out there. But its a serious tone machine. Add in the beta firmware and its ability to add custom cabinet IRs (which I purchased from RedWirez) and this thing is amazing.

I've used a Framus Cobra, Diamond NitroX, Peavey 5150 & Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier on stage before. These days, I show up and plug my GSP1101 into the effects return of a tube amp and then run its XLR outputs to the board. Never have I had such amazing tone and it all comes in a single rack space unit. Typically, when I play with other bands, they are usually curious about the GSP as I'm setting up but think I'm nuts for relying on it so heavily for my tone (Eyebrows have been raised). Even some of the novice guitarists which show up with poor sounding Spider 4 amps think I'm crazy. However, after every single show I've done with this unit people always come RUNNING up to me (usually after our first set) asking how the heck I'm getting such great tone. I usually just smile and point at the GSP1101, and nobody can believe it.

Its a shame this piece of gear doesn't get the attention it deserves!

2. anslinger

anslinger Member

I'm very satisfied with my GSP. I spent a lot of time experimenting with the amp sims, effects, IRs, distortions and whathaveyou. Now that I've done that, I just want to use the sounds I've got. Learning another unit doesn't seem very appealing right now, however cool the gear may be.

3. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I agree. I think the RP units too are just awesome pieces of gear. I just replaced my whole pedal board with an RP500. Some think I am nuts, but tonally there is no sacrifice. The effects and interface design are top notch in my opinion.

I think these units have just been out-shined by much of the excitement and fanfare surrounding units like the HDs, 11R, and Axe. But that doesn't mean they are any less capable.

Also, kudos for sticking with a piece of gear and loving it. It is so easy to gear swap just because you can. You end up making no music and not bonding with anything.

4. katrina

katrina Member

Right with ya Drew, I hear you! Several years old, and it's still out ahead of the pack!

If you don't mind, when you say connected to a "effects return of a tube amp", do you mean the 4 cable method that alot of folks use?

Also, what options do you choose with the set-up wizard? I still struggle just abit with this in trying to find the best sound using my new Carvin V3M.

Thanks so much!

5. Cthross

Cthross Member

Still diggin my GSP. Use mine with the 4CM and it works great. The chieftain is one of my favorite models with the strat. I like the Mark IV as well. I've thought about upgrading to some of the new stuff (modelers), but every time I play it I'm satisfied.

6. rcl

rcl Member

My GSP is my home rig, and if I want to mess with the axe for a while, the GSP fills in at practice. The C2 makes it all the processor I need. It can stand on it's own amps/tones or just be the control/effects for my blackstar combo-or better yet, it can do both depending on the preset. (4CM!)

Not a fan of the HD. I am trying. Updated the firmware last night-just cant get the darn thing to sound good through anything.

Love the axe-fx. But as you say, it's a different price range. GSP1101s should keep getting cheaper and cheaper with the flood of modelers and the passage of time. I'll probably get another one so I can leave one at practice full time-and have one at home as well.

7. drew7000

drew7000 Member

I seldom use 4CM on stage. I'm really happy with the GSP's internal amps.

I remember I also had some strange tone issues during the setup of the GSP. I believe I had to use "British Half Stack" as the type of amp and that helped resolve some issues.

8. drewl

drewl Member

There's one big problem I have with the 1101.....
    Once you get it programmed and have several patches set up to cover what I need live, it keeps providing excellent tone day in and day out with no tweaking or adjusting needed!

No need to fuss with it, just plug it in and BAM! there's the same great sounds when I need them.

No need to spend countless hours fretting and futzing about....that's it...no need to fool around with it....I'm done....nothing to do.....it's all there....now what?

Nothing to do but PLAY!

:bonk

9. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Tru dat...

I'm stuck in tweaksville right now with the HD500... But I do recall when I first got the GSP1101 I was tweaking for weeks on end... but after the initial "figuring it out" period, never had to touch it and could dial up new patches instinctively... I expect to get that way with the POD HD500... But I'm not there quite yet.

10. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I've been singing the praises of this under-appreciated device since I bought one of the very first ones that Sweetwater received almost 4 years ago. I've owned one of just about everything over the last 28 years of playing guitar, running an MI store for 10 years, working at Sweetwater and playing live and as a hired gun session guy for 25+ years.

I have extensively compared it to the Axe and HD500 and, yes, the Axe has incredible effects and the feel is excellent, but I just cannot find enough reason for ME, personally, to justify investing $3000 for the Axe/MFC combo versus the $800 for the GSP/C2 (at full street; can be found for MUCH less) especially as I am a pretty meat-n-potatoes, delay/verb/stomp kind of guy and don't need/want space/violin sounds. (not saying that the core AXE tones aren't spectacular; they are, it just does a LOT of things I don't want/need to pay for)

Tone-wise, I definitely prefer the GSP to the HD500, but I've held back from posting that, as so many love it here. I do think it's the best sounding Pod since the original. That's very subjective, so whatever works for a specific player, great. Play it.

I've logged well over 500 gigs with my GSP rig and played venues from 100 to over 100,000 with it, and it's been the most consistent, reliable rig of any kind that I've ever owned. I run mine through a stereo tube power amp and cab and then XLR straight to the board and the tone is far superior and cleaner mix than any mic'd cab I've ever used. I roll in, plug the cab into the amp in my 4U rack, 2 XLRs to the FOH and I'm done. Setup is around 3-5 minutes.

I have a digital wireless and I spot check my FOH tone several times each gig and the tone through the PA is absolutely gigantic. I cannot tell you how many fantastic players, critical guys with super hi-end boutique rigs, have come up to me on gig breaks and just gushed over how great my live tone is.

I don't care if it's no longer supported. I don't care if the tech is "outdated" (good tone is NEVER obsolete) the GSP is a fantastic device for MY needs and I've had ZERO GAS since the day I bought it. I almost NEVER touch the controls other than maybe the Global EQ for a muddy or bright room. I plug in, turn it on and PLAY with dramatically less tweaking than I EVER did with the dozens and dozens of tube/pedal rigs I owned over the years. I've used it exclusively live and recorded a full CD with it and have been perfectly happy with it.

11. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Wow, where did you play for 100,000 people?

12. PinkPanther

PinkPanther Senior Member

Dave Mustaine uses the GSP1101.

13. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Though I'm currently using a POD HD500, I will shout the praises of the current Digitech ADNAII platform from the rooftops with conviction. I've used several of their units since their release and have been consistently impressed by the modeling and effects quality. For me it was simply an issue of feeling handcuffed by the limited architecture of the RP, especially being a former GNX3000 user. I do not share the popular sentiment that the HD trumps the RP/GSP series from a pure tonal standpoint but I do feel the HD has much more dynamic response. Although I'd love to try a GSP 1101 with some custom impulses...

14. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I just bought an RP1000 from a buddy and he says the same things you guys are about it. I can't wait to get started programming!

15. Mr Bungle

Mr Bungle Member

...not anymore though...unless Dave uses it for practice..

Couldn't agree more with the comments. I have a few different rigs that I rotate just to appease my (like most guitarists) need to tweak....and at the center of each one is the GSP1101 and the Control 2

Either using it with a Peavey JSX in 4cm, or with the ADA MP-1 in the loop,.or with both the ADA and a Mesa Studio Preamp,..it's always the "brains" of the operation and has opened up so many config for whichever "rig" I choose.

I too go though the "what if" I try this new thing that's out (OFTEN!!)...but at the end of the day,or gig I can't help think how simple and convienient it is, and why bother messing with a good thing.

16. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

It was a huge 3-day festival a couple years back. My band played the opening day and then headlined the afterparty each night. It was cool.

Will,
    I just wanted to say I really love your trio's sound and your playing. Really great! :)
    Jason

17. drew7000

drew7000 Member

Buddaman71,
    Looking back now, your comments and videos help me decide to go ahead and purchase the GSP1101. I never did send a thank you.

This is the first time in a LONG time that I haven't been obsessively gas-ing for new gear.

I also want to take time to point out that out of ALL the modelers I've tried (Boss GT-10, Johnson J-Station, Pod XT Live, Pod X3 Pro, Tonelab SE) NOTHING sits in the mix better then this GSP1101. Not only that, but the GSP has the ability to "leap out" in your face for solos better then anything I've ever used. This thing just responds as its supposed to. I don't spend time "coaxing" it like I have with other pieces of gear.

I've played quite a bit of gear that sounded great. But the GSP1101 has played nice with EVERY single other piece of gear, band member or environment I've thrown it in. That, to me, speaks volumes.

18. drew7000

drew7000 Member

The built in cabinet models in the GSP1101 are definitely the weakest link in its chain.
    I purchased a bunch of IRs from 'RedWirez' and have been blown away by how natural they sound.

I don't run any cabinet modeling to my cabinet (which, would be kind of stupid) but I do have the cabinet modeling enabled on my XLR outputs.

Previously, no matter what modeler I've EVER used, I ALWAYS mic'ed my cabinet and sent that to the mixer. I've NEVER been happy with cabinet modeling until I used these custom IRs. Its not only simplified my setup, but allowed me to improve my tone a bit.

19. tatkovladko

tatkovladko Member

The Custom IR feature of the GSP1101 is a very very big deal. Yesterday I noticed that L6 "expert users" on their forum have started discussing custom IRs for POD HD series in depth. It's not real hard to guess where this will lead. If 3 year old hardware like the GSP1101 can be programmed to accept custom IRs, I have no doubt that POD HDs also can be. Especially given the "modular" design of the processor load of the HD500s.

In my book (albeit small), impulse responses will always be (until superseded by superior tech) one of the most important (if not THE most) tone-shaping tools for electric guitar.

20. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

The GSP1101 is one of those pieces of gear that does not seem to be going anywhere soon. It is much like my Quadraverb that I've had for 20 years. The GSP1101 is solid and reliable and I don't see any reason to part with it.