• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

still in LOVE with the BJFE Baby Blue Overdrive aka BBOD

BJF

Hi There,

Designer’s reply:

Thank you for the kind words and here’s a hopefully helpful explination regarding speculations the good and the bad

Re: Bearfoot:

Bearfoot has failed the mission to be a mass-outlet of near exact, high quality,large series at wide availability and great consumer price versions of BJF-designs, but turned into a miniature operation producing endless variations of basic BJF designs. This could have been fine as a handmade in America option were it not for a deep disagreement of what is good business ethics. Therefore there shall be no more BJF designs transfered to Bearfoot production,nor anymore variations BJF designs currently produced by Bearfoot, but the current line up as of end of 2017 may still be produced.

So if you are looking for mass produced versions of BJF designs,then Bearfoot will hold no new developments of such.

Re sales of BJF pedals in USA:
Further solution for future sales of new BJF pedals in USA is under construction while bearfoot fx will not be selling any new BJF pedals save for those landing early 2018.

Re bjfelectronics.com :
This domain is registred to Don Rusk and was registred in order to be transfered to bjfelectronics eventually but it turns out it won’t be. bjfelectronics.com is now empty and points at bjfe.org which is a pure information domain.

Through the years bjfelectronics has had no real use for a central sale page but instead sales have been governed by dealers worldwide and it will continue to be. Granted I am aware of that it may look odd that bjfelectronics has been around on the internet for 17 years without having a domain; however for the last 11 years BJF main effort has gone to mass produced solutions first through Mad Professor Amplification Ltd, then Bearfootfx.com and finally one-control.com and so production of BJF pedals has not been the high focus; however 2017 has been a year of focus on BJF pedals production with the highest output in years.
Now BJF Electronics will look at a tanable mass production of near exact, high quality, large series at great consumer price versions of BJF designs and such a solution is now found with modern production techniques.

Re: mass produced option of Baby Blue Overdrive:
Update, for NAMM 2018 OC will release a BJF classic and the first model produced by BJF the Baby Blue Overdrive.
I have checked the prototype and am very pleased.
BBOD was made in two versions the intial version and the version 2. Version 2 gave the circuit twice the output and lessened the influence of loading-first version sound was dependent on where the volume controls was set. The One Control version is made with modern parts that are as close as it gets to the parts originally used.
So the OC BBOD is an entry in the debatte of wether it is possible to make surfacemount SMD versions of circuits believed to only be possible with vintage components-my answer is SMD is not a limitation but it requires you know your parts and have a factory that is responsive and respectful and above average skills to pull things off and I’d say I care less where such a factory is located as long as they can make exact and at high quality control. In this business there is a whole lot of mojo stating gear can only sound great with vintage parts and in vintage designs but if one were to look at vintage sounds or really just great sounds and define a great sound in functions then it becomes a question of techniques and parts available for large productions as I see it.
Anyway it is my pleasure to be able to present the very first BJF model ever made now to be available in large quantaties.
BBOD was discontiued for production at an even 500 units partly from lack of parts but also because BBOD was BJF’s most controversial model, while sometime after some more parts were found as I got the keys to an electronics surplus store’s cellar and about 300 more units were made without any advertising but also those are parts are now coming to an end. Therefore it makes me extra happy to be able to present a modern version that has the vintage sounds.
It was the most controversial model I ever made because there were many reviews but they were almost like for different models and because while most of my models combine in any order this model was designed to go specifically closest to guitar.When I first showed BBOD I felt it was a fuzz but my distributer said it was an overdrive.
Others said it was the closest thing to a Dumble sound. It was also said you cannot appreciate the BBOD unless you can play good enough. I made this model as an answer to a couple of newly baked technicians that years before in the dead of night sat and listened to waveforms from waveform generators and they decided uneven period time square wave was the most musical and so I kept that in mind and years later I had a technical answer on how to realize uneven period time square wave and that could be controlled by picking force- some would say uneven period time square wave doesn’t exist….but it’s really quite common though some would give this waveform another name.

I will say that after these changes ( and yes things change with surface mount-capacitances and one will just need to be aware) this version of Baby Blue OD may be the best ever made and the closest to the sound and playability I had in mind for this circuit upon designing it.
When this circuit was first shown as a product in October the year 2000 I had named it fuzz because that is what it technically is, but the then distributer to come later in 2000 told fuzzes don’t sell so product must be renamed Overdrive because that is closer to what it sounds like.
This is a circuit of fairly heavy gain enough to play hard rock on ,while it can also do overdriven amplifier sounds with Drive set lower.
To my mind overdrive as an effect applied to electric guitar is a device that can increase distortion of an already distorted amplifier-that is what it was in the 70’s and the idea was to increase distortion mainly in the midrange since most amplifiers at the time could produce heavy bass and bright treble but usually not sufficient sustain in the midrange.
My main goal with the BBOD circuit was to make a distorted guitar sound that I thought the first Fender amp I ever saw would do when distorting-it turned out this was only in my imagination but in the late 70’s it was possible to get somewhat similar sounds at least from Fenderstyle amplifiers-in reality though those amps sounded more like the One Control model Sonic Blue Twanger

Yes this is a treble heavy fairly densly distorted sound-modelled after amplifiers that would not distort nicely in any other register than treble and so it is a sound that is more that of an overdriven amplifier than that of a device designed to overdrive amplifiers.

This is a circuit that many would argue it would be impossible to make in SMD technique and impossible to replicate on a large scale- simply because the originals were made of selected vintage components- I would be proud to say that it is fully possible and it only comes down to the skill level of the factory.
While I would say perhaps there are few factories that can pull this off.
It is a controvery though that the BJF version was made with vintage parts and the OC version is made with modern smd parts-some would say it is not possible to get the same sound but I profess it is fully possible.

Re: Lars Demo:
Thank you! nicely played!

As you can see above I mention how different this pedal can sound depending who is using and for what.
I have rocked a BBOD through a Marshall halfstack with a Flying V and that sounded very much like that amp on full but this was amp set on clean
One of the first reviews on BBOD the reviewer stated BBOD would be his desert island pedal because he could play any kind of music with it and it was also heavy enough to throw at angry dogs if necessary.
I find your demos interesting because the sounds and playability you show is wastly different from what I’d use BBOD for but also you show why some people thought the BBOD sounds like a very expensive amp beginning with a D

BJ

this post contains Mr Distorted’s Opinion

"What It Is" Steven Bruton

"The Truth Is Unbelievable"

Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
Companies I do designs for in no particular order
www.bjfe.org
www.lundgren.se
http://www.one-control.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/LouderAndMore

No longer affiliated with sales of Bearfoot fx pedals
No longer affiliated with MP Amplification Ltd while MP Amplification Ltd will continue to produce 42 products my designs have resulted in

kstrat62

Silver Supporting Member
The BBOD is singularly one of my biggest pedal regrets. Long ago I had a bjfe dyna red and a bbod. Both were selling for around $175 used. I didn’t bond with the dyna, just because I rarely bond with higher gain pedals. The bbod I did bond with. But I remember gas’ing for something and sold the bbod to pay for it. Can’t even remember what it was now I wanted. But at the time bbod’s were easy to come by and I said to myself I can always get another one and I definitely will. It wasn’t a month later bjorn announced he couldn’t get the parts anymore and the pedal was discontinued. $175 jumped to $400 over night and last I saw they were as high as $600. Too rich for my blood. It bums me out that I’ll never have another one, but that kind of lousy timing has been a hallmark of my life. I should be used to it by now. :(
I did the same boneheaded move with the same 2 pedals!

BJF

Hi there,

Designer’s reply about reasons for discontinuing products and prices et.c

Indeed I did announce parts were gone and they were except a few but an even 500 made sense and you’d never know if some parts would be needed for repair. However not so long after I got the keys to the cellar of a surplus store as the owner had passed away and the guy that took over shortly lost interest and so I got the keys and found parts to make a few hundred BBOD’s more, but really I felt it best to discontiune the BBOD also because it was my most controversial model and so I didn’t feel I needed to resurrect BBOD with the new found parts but just silently made some more units per request even somewaht reluctantly.
Those sold as the same price as before to dealers. What happens at secondhand market is out of my control.

However, there is something particular that the BBOD does. And yes I have been asked before to make this model in larger production but for various reasons doing so hasn’t been possible from the way the circuit is made. Therefore as I have learnt a whole lot more about smd constructions over the years I can now finally say it is possible.
Yes not by using the original obsolete parts but parts that behave the same way. I’d like to be inspired by old parts but not as magic per se but if a function can be made with old parts it’s a challange to make the same function with modern parts ofcourse then ignoring dwelling in the mystitism of obsolete parts but instead being enchanted by the functions and then if functions would there not be ways of making such functions with modern parts.

So if sound and playing feel are the goals then I can say I have the answer for a wallet friendly solution and one that evryone that wants to can try.

I mean by all means sometimes I get parts that are just a few and I find a way of using those and I’ll have to consider eventually maybe 50 units can be made and for sure let’s do those but then if the functions are so great,then let’s define the function and realize it in larger quantaties.

I have some parts that look funky and can be brought to make excellent sounds but I’d also love to catch the function of what those do and make it in another format.

So my motto has always been : Here’s a great function-let’s see how it can be realized.

If you really want to go vintage BBOD#1 is for sale at reverb-not affiliated

BJ

Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
www.bjfe.org
www.lundgren.se

No longer affiliated with MP Amplification Ltd while MP Amplification Ltd will continue to produce 42 products my designs have resulted in

Shame to see Bjorn and Bearfoot parting ways. I own pedals from both camps and they are amongst my favourites. Congrats to both parties for their work.

The demo in the OP is just awesome. I’ve been curious about the BBOD for a long time without ever really searching out demo’s and info. I kinda wish I hadn’t watched that now because I thought I was done with my dirt n fuzz pedals!

BJF

Hi there,

Thank you for your kind interest and regarding parting

Shocking perhaps and right I wouldn’t have thought it either and didn’t see it coming, but regardless it’s business as usual.

Thank you there will be a lot of releases of BJF designs 2018 however there will not be anymore BJF designs or variations thereof from Bearfoot, though the current line stands.

While I am not sure what the recent big announcements were about I can say there were some bigger designs discussed based on products produced and designed by BJF but those were withdrawn and those are not going to happen

That said I gather there’s Gateway-not sure exactly what that is because it was developed without my knowledge…..but I am sure Bearfoot will be around 2018 making BJF design models that are currently in the line and perhaps somethingelse that is not connected to BJF in anyway ;)

About BJF/OC releases that is mostly going to be about new models never released before and some BJF classic models that haven’t been mass produced before such as the Baby Blue Overdrive.

It could have been possible to make BBOD via Bearfoot but that would have been limited to about 100 units and using original parts that I have on hand-such a release seems pointless as I might aswell make 100 units via BJF.
I am also currently revising the whole BJF line then looking at what can be better and more aligned to sounds I hear in my head and that is going to make those BJF models that also Bearfoot produces now to be different.
And 2017 alone there were 15 new BJF models and only two saw production in Bearfoot; there were also 15 models designed for One Control.

Models currently produced by Bearfoot are all BJF designs and they are clones of BJF models often using same parts and assembly techniques though there are variations, such as endless variations of Honey Bee that I designed specifically for Bearfoot and those will stay like that and mainly be available from BJF or Bearfoot.
That’s saying don’t expect what is currently produced by Bearfoot( also in most cases by BJF) to be transfered to some other line because that is likely not going to happen.
If there is a function I’d like to make I’ll just find a way of doing that and yes I can think of many functions I’d like to have access to so I’ll just go make them :)

For now on topic I am very happy to announce a mass-produced Baby Blue Overdrive.

So perhaps this can be end of speculation? What Bearfoot does has nothing to do with BJF Baby Blue Overdrive nor how I choose to massproduce it.....thank you.

BJ

Affiliations
BJF Electronics
Sweden
www.bjfe.org
www.lundgren.se

Yr Blues

BBOD :bow

2018 is shaping up!

I love the way he paints his pedals. They're works of art, even the lettering.

Last edited:

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
A quick note... Nothing has changed at BearFoot FX except we will have new designs with new designers and some things Im now very excited to finally be able to do. Good luck to BJF Designs and their Chinese mass produced HBOD and BBODs .... BearFoot FX will continue to make small batch, hand made, US made pedals to include some BJF Designs and a whole new range of designs in 2018 ... have fun and be well ... Donner

BluesHarp

Wha?? :eek:

Im absolutely shocked at this parting of ways.

I will say.. if it were not for BJ and his imaginative all original built circuits and mad building skills then none of this would would even exist in the first place.. but I digress. Im sure I dont understand all the fine details of the why and the how. I just would like say that BJ is one of the top 3 original true boutique pedal geniuses of our time, straight up gangster designer and a true artist in the sonic world.

scottcw

Low rent hobbyist
Gold Supporting Member
Good luck to BJF Designs and their Chinese mass produced HBOD and BBODs ....
Classy. This sums up nicely why I haven’t owned and will never own a Bearfoot pedal.

I just would like say that BJ is one of the top 3 original true boutique pedal geniuses of our time, straight up gangster designer and a true artist in the sonic world.
Agreed on all points, plus Bjorn is a class act.

Last edited:

Sammo

Back on the BBOD....... has anyone tried both the 3 & 4 knob versions? If so is the bass knob worth the extra cash (cause its a decent price jump)?
I had 3 knob V1 way back when and now have 4K version. I've traded all amps and guitars since then so I cannot do even comparision from memory. I think the reason why I like 4K more might be more available output due being V2. And some other things I didn't like about the old one I don't notice with 4K.

About bass knob, I tend to run it close to ccw, ie. full bass (it is bass cut on mine, there might be other versions too?). But it's there and I like it. And it's useful to cut some bass to stand better in mix or get less thick tone overall.

Trending Topics