Still looking for that light/med gain OD for my Blackface Bassman...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by minjason, Feb 8, 2008.

1. minjason

minjason Member

I've started several threads here asking people to compare various pedals because I am still looking for a drive pedal that will give me that natural sounding breakup that I hear in my head. All of your recommendations have been very helpful, but I could definitely use some more suggestions. The requirements I have are:

1) sounds good with a strat through a 65 BF bassman
    2) low/med gain od for chordal work, rhythm, and some lead stuff
    3) no TS mid-hump (mids are okay, just not that over the top nasally sound)
    4) stacks well with other pedals, particularly an ocd v.3, which i use as one of my primary higher gain drives

i think i've narrowed it down to the following: menatone red snapper, barber ltd sr, timmy, and silver kiss.

any help would be extremely helpful. thanks!

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The King of Tone was made for a Fender amp, the best low gain pedal made.

3. guybrush

guybrush Member

A Silver Kiss would sound great for sure. My Strat loves it. Not sure how it would stack with the OCD as I've never played one, but pretty much anything into a Silver Kiss can sound good, I've found - gotta love that EQ.

4. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

+1. Nothing's kicked the KOT from my board in over two years.

5. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

I have to recommend the Barber LTD...got one at the Guitar Emporium in Louisville a few weeks ago, and I LOVE it! Perfect, cheap, well built medium OD pedal...for $120 it's just incredible...check em out... my local shop has em' in stock right now... www.guitar-emporium.com

6. meterman

meterman Member

7. giggedy

giggedy Member

+1 - yup.

8. minjason

minjason Member

hmm it looks like the King of Tone is a clear winner so far...anyone else have any thoughts? ideally, i don't want to spend over $200...

9. Seegs

Seegs Member

for strats I really like the Landgraff LDO but its over your budget in which case I would grab an XactTone Precision Overdrive ($200) which is stellar with strats...

its very similar to the Landgraff LDO in the up toggle position at half the cost...

Chow,
    Seegs

10. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I don't have a bassman, but do have a SF Twin that I've hated pretty much every OD pedal I've tried (and I've tried some of the highly praised pedals). I just got a Barber LTD a few days ago, and it sounds great with the Twin.

I need to try it with my bf super..........

11. OccTone

OccTone Supporting Member

BOSS OD-3 , relatively inexpensive and sounds great:BEER

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I have a Barber LTD in the emporium...

13. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I would say TImmy or BJF Honey Bee.

14. Sol

Sol Member

Lots of great recomendations already, but one that came to mind immedietly when I saw your amp set up is the 'Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive'.
    It's a compact true two channel overdrive that can be as subtle or aggresive as you like.

It has an amazing mid control that at lower settings(Less Mids)can be very tweed like, on the first channel(Lower gain).
    Where at full can sound somewhat like a smoother Marshall, Vintage Marshall that is.

The second channel can if you need it provide the most dynamic tight
    and just real musical high overdrive, bordering on softer clipping distortion.
    This channel IMHO can get into Trainwrek teritory, although some may dissagree, that's what I hear.

Not cheap but when compared to a Hotcake, and Hermida Zendrive it still gets used all the time and holds its own easily, well worth a close look

15. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Frantone Hepcat
    Clark Gainster
    Blackstone

16. langdbuild

langdbuild Member

I am over the Honeymoon (was blown away) and still love my HB. I don't get into real high gain territory and I must say that the HB is an excellent low gain pedal. The character of the pedal is there with OD level barely cracked Very responsive to picking dynamics, dig in and the notes bloom. Back off and its more shimmery. It sort of replicates power tube compression which is good if you like the idea of compression/sustain but don't appreciate the snvariably provide.

+1 also on the Blackstone...
    which is (as they say) very amp like. It is brighter than the HB and more open but very reponsive to picking dynamics. Cleans up w/ the volume control perhaps better than any other OD pedal. The OCD can be used also for low OD duty with good results.

17. langdbuild

langdbuild Member

RE: My previous reply. That's not exactly what I thought I wrote. The part about compression doesn't exactly make sense. I was referring to clicky pick attack with most compressor pedals.

18. vinceman

vinceman Member

OCD V2.0, in LP mode.

Stacks really well with V3.0, less mids than V3.0

I use it with a '65 Bandmaster, and looooove it !

19. the 5cientist

the 5cientist Member

i might be alone, but i like the red-snapper through fender amps, specially with strat... you have to run it pretty dark, but it's really nice, and so subtle...

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member