Still no Kemper software editor...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jun 30, 2017.

1. seigmen

seigmen Member

Would you pay for an official editor?

AtomicBlaze likes this.
  2. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

The zillion page thread with no response on the Kemper forums shows that we all want it, but the official team have never acknowledged it. I don't know if we'll get one. Using a Helix is a breeze because of the editor.

Would I pay? Sure, if it wasn't too expensive. Ridiculous that we would have to, tbh.

Get on it Kemper!

yeky83, slowerhand and RolandKorg like this.
  3. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

It's hard to compare the Kemper to the others because the front panel of the Kemper has 37 buttons, 10 LEDs, 16 knobs, the display, and the chicken knob. It was designed by a man who also designs synthesizers. The workflow on the device itself is primary in its design - just like a good analog synth would be. Digital synths like those from Roland or Yamaha have PC editors often because the onboard experience for editing is so poor. Funny the parallels to modelers here, no? That tactile response like an analog synth is obviously what Kemper was going for with the unit.

My Kemper sits on the opposite side of the room from my PC - where my tube amps and guitars are hanging. When not gigging, my AX-8 sits next to my computer - because it really needs to be for editing. So I embrace how the Kemper is fundamentally different in philosophy.

That said, it would sure be nice to be able to edit FX from the PC, and to be able to break down the signal chain's elements in a different visual metaphor that a software editor would provide.

3dognate, glide-bpm, Tmidiman and 3 others like this.
  4. Dead-Pan

Dead-Pan Member

Breath held but turning purple haha!

Seriously though I hear they have hired an outside firm to handle it.

I believe when it come it will do great things.

glide-bpm likes this.
  5. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

Hope so, because my back aches every time I have to lean over and mess about with it!

6. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Someone on the Kemper forum stopped by the KPA booth at NAMM this year and met Christoph Kemper. He asked about an editor and his understanding is that they've hired an engineer for the task.

garybearkim, glide-bpm and yeky83 like this.
  7. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Not sure I see the point of an editor. The front panel is so intuitive.

KeLynne, ljs, FusionRock and 4 others like this.
  8. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I think all these devices should have an iPad editor.

9. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

For people who record and don't have their Kemper within reach at their desk.

10. parkhill

parkhill Member

I use the front panel and prefer it to my previous software editor experiences. Very quick and easy. My only interest in an editor would be if it provided alternate routing capabilities such as parallel signal paths, etc.

11. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Let's face it, selecting an effect from a drop-down menu is infinitely faster than using a knob to scroll through 20 or more effects to find the one you want.

Mysterionn, glide-bpm, yeky83 and 5 others like this.
  12. Nick Shephard

Nick Shephard Member

The lack of software editor is an absolute ballache for me, I nearly sold my Kemper because of this. As I get older and my eyesight deteriorates, I have less patience for bending over bits of gear and squinting at monochrome LCDs. In the end I swapped my rack version for the toaster and reached a compromise. After using both AxeFX and Helix editors, then when you want to add an effect to you Kemper and have to scroll through 20 screens to find the one you want, or five screens of parameters for a delay setting, come on guys!

13. maxdown

maxdown Member

I had to scroll way down the page to post this .... bloody liberty I call it.

;)

14. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I believe - and I stated this since day one back in 2012 - that what the KPA is (sorely) missing is a good and solid presets management.
    This aspect is ridiculously bad IMO.
    Premise: a preset in Kemperland is any group of pre-set parameters. You can create presets for almost anything in the machine. This includes Input, Output, a cab, a stack, a tone stack, a group of fx or stoms, an effect's parameters, an amp module.

You can't edit a preset, for example. On the contrary, you are allowed to save a preset with the same name of an existing one and it won't overwrite the latter (which is really bad).

Hundreds of cabs have been patiently waiting here since years for a practical way to save, list, catalogue, swap them. Cabs are among the strongest qualities of the KPA, but it's not practical at all to manage a collection of them.

When you want to load a preset for an already-loaded effect, the device doesn't jump (in the preset list) to the ones regarding that effect, but every time shows the complete list of fx presets (hundreds of them on my device) and you have to scroll it all; when you have to pass through the distortions it can be messy, specially if your volume is high.
    Furthermore, there's no way to jump to the end or to the beginning (or to the middle) of the list, and no direct way to go to the first (or last) item from the last (or first) one.

I genuinely wonder who designed this.

Many, many users complained about this clear deficit. On their side, Kemper respond that "users should have no voice in future developments".

maydaynyc, jayson, yeky83 and 6 others like this.
  15. jpage

jpage Member

This is one of the reasons I don't own a Kemper.

teaburstlp likes this.
  16. Nick Shephard

Nick Shephard Member

This! and it could so easily be corrected. Agreed, scrolling through the drives is simply horrible when your speakers are cranked!

17. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Definitely (and definitively) agreed Nick!
    But users' opinions have no weight, as they said.

Nick Shephard likes this.
  18. bdrepko

bdrepko Supporting Member

Its dead simple to configure. Do we really need an editor? I would much rather them implement a better reverb and morphing between two rigs.

19. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

To choose the WAH effect in an effects slot, you literally have to spin the Browse knob 17 times. To change from a WAH effect to an EQ in an effects slot, you have to spin it 9 times. If you don't see the benefit of an editor on that basis alone, I don't know what to tell you.

Jimmyno, jayson, yeky83 and 2 others like this.
  20. journo

journo Member

BUT...

I can do that without letting go of my pick.

With a computer editor I have to put my pick down, find the mouse, move the mouse to the correct place on the screen click it to pull down the menu you refer to, move the mouse again to the correct menu item, click on that item, let go of the mouse, pick up the pick and then I can play the guitar to see if that is the sound I wanted.

I would like to see an update to the Rig Manager so we could manage Cabinets and effects.

Cheers,

Mats N

FusionRock and MixMinisterMike like this.