Still no Kemper software editor...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jun 30, 2017.

1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Dude, I record sitting at my computer a lot and I don't even have to let go of the pick to use the mouse or keyboard. In fact, I typed this while holding the pick. There's nothing difficult about it. I'd wager I can select an effect 8 times over using a mouse while holding a pick before you can select the WAH effect once using the Browse knob.

buddachile and yeky83 like this.
  2. journo

journo Member

I'm old (almost 60) and you know what they say about old dogs. :D
    I'm sure I could learn how to do what you do and if I felt the need for it I probably would.
    But with the Kemper I see no need for it as it works fine for me.
    Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Mats N

3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Bill Gates is older than you are. To me, 85 is old. Either way, I just don't think most people who use an editor view the sequence in the way you described anymore than most people describe turning on a lamp as follows:

I have to 1) slip my hand under the lamp shade 2) find the switch 3) twist it until it clicks and 4) retract my hand from beneath the lamp shade.

veritechc, yeky83 and Viabcroce like this.
  4. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Not to mention that, for some even weirder reason, Arrow buttons don't work when you search within the Type (they do when you go through presets). This is something I understand even less.

Mats, you don't use presets much, do you? I do, a lot. Try and apply presets to a couple of (different) fx for each of the rigs you use; also, experiment with different cabs within a list of say just 100 (my list is much longer, around 1000) for each rig. The save some preset, and later on try and edit and restore them: you will definitely be wishing someone in Kemper had given you at least a robust preset manager :mad:

Also, why the hell a Merged rig or cab are not somehow marked/tagged and identifiable is above me.

The KPA is paying more the cost of an approximative vision of users' needs the more possibilities, presets, options are made available. And I've been saying this, again, since day one.

Another example? General noise gate being embedded in the Input presets as a parameter. What the heck? If I lock the input (because I want the same Clean Sens and Distorted Sens values to be applied to all my rigs (each rig would otherwise overwrite the ones I set for my guitar(s)), each rig will be applied the same value for noise gate.
    Solution? Easy... unlock the input, and manually set CS, and DS, and NG... for each of your rigs o_O

Amitar, yeky83 and Man with Gas like this.
  5. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

Which is why i assert these devices should work with an iPAD. Touch screen. No mouse, no huge, clunky expensive laptop.... Just a portable pad. All the parameters right there in front of you.

6. journo

journo Member

This I agree with 100%

Cheers,

Mats N

TommyGuitar and RolandKorg like this.
  7. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Member

The lack of an editor is why I don't use the Kemper. Axe Edit is by far the best part about the AFXII. Even if they charged for the Kemper software I think most people would be willing to pay.

yeky83 likes this.
  8. journo

journo Member

I think I wrote I would like Rig Manager to include a way to handle effects and cabinet presets.

It definitely should be, as well as DI only.

This is an interesting area of discussion. I use noise gate very sparingly so I didn't pay too much attention at the time but I somehow remember hearing about the noise gate in the input section being thought of for some general use and if you wanted more aggressive gating you you use the stomp NG.

Cheers,

Mats N

9. Ejay

Ejay Member

I can see why you would want one if your a tweaker.
    To me...i scroll the rigs untill i find something that i need, tweak maybe the delay and verb, maybe add a booster...and im good to go.
    3 min tops!

KPA dont need much editing imho cause a lot of that was done during the profiling proces...to me the whole point of the Kemper...somebody else did the hard part :)

TommyGuitar and otter5555 like this.
  10. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Uh-oh, I smell some fanboism here.

11. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Yep! This would be enough for me too, even tho I see the point of those who sit far from the device in their studio and need a practical way to manage it.

Agreed, even tho those are easier to recognize both on the KPA and in RM.

Well, I guess the point is that in most cases I keep NG totally off. There are just some very noisy rigs\amps that definitely need it. And using a stomp wastes a slot, of course.
    It would be enough to not have the general HG included in the Input controls... wonder if this would be doable.

Furthermore, the general NG works differently from the stomp\effect ones, so they're not strictly equivalent.

Anyway, just to finish this rant and supply something useful...
    A good trick for optimizing the way the NG works is to set CS as high as possible, if this is compatible with own sound

:)

12. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Member

They really need to fix the damn reverb.

yeky83 likes this.
  13. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

No. I was referring to your notion of a Mac (!) editor...

14. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

15. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

This. This. This.

16. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Let me add to the Kemper interface grievances XD

People talk a lot about the Axe-Fx's interface being too hard. I know this is not the norm, but I actually found the Kemper interface more frustrating and confusing than the Axe-Fx interface.

Axe-Fx is based on a menu system. I know how menus work. There's tabs with titles on top, you select the tab, and select the parameter you want to change. Everything is organized by menus. Yeah, there's way too much stuff in there, but it's organized.

Kemper, everything is scroll based. There's what, 17 pages for the systems menu? And no indication of what's on which page. You have to scroll to each page, read every knob and button parameter to see if what you want is there. It's frustrating.
    Using the browse knob was not fun. Delay with 5 pages sounded glorious, but required a lot of scrolling between pages. Setting up performances took a long time, etc.

It's super intuitive for "select a profile, and play," but for dialing in specific things, kind of a pain.

I like what someone said on this thread, I think it captures the feel of the Kemper well. The Kemper is created by an accomplished sound designer. Parameters like Definition, Pick, and Clarity, they're sound shaping parameters, not found in component based modelers. It's really unique. But all the aimless scrolling didn't do it for me :p

17. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

It goes like this: the computer I'm working on for everything else and has my profiles/data is over *here* that external box is way over *there*.

18. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

I have said many times that out of the Axe, Helix, Kemper or A/Fire ..... to my ears, the Kemper is the most real sounding ... to this day it is my go-to for recording / demo's ... and if I lost all 3 and could only replace one, it would be the Kemper ... and yes .... its interface is very easy to use ..... having said all that ...

I think it is bizzare / un-explainable / dismissive of overwhelming user feedback etc.... that the Kemper not only does not have a solid well-developed editor ... but it doesnt even have a solid preset management program .... Rig Manager is very basic at best.

Some ~ 4+ years [or so] from its release .... and [on this front] ... nothing ..... seroulsy ... just :facepalm

19. acroberts

acroberts Member

Tried to give my Kemper some love and attention over the past couple of weeks, but with an AX8 sitting next to it, my attention continually returns back to the AX8. One reason: Desktop Editor.

Both sound awesome, but, man, dialing through amp, cabinet and effect options on the Kemper via knobs and buttons is an outright waste of time. Seriously. Want to build multipart Kemper songs/performances? It will take you 5 times as long with the Kemper interface than a PC editor. Meanwhile, you are wearing out hardware (knobs and buttons) in the process.

Add to this the complete and utter horseshit that Kemper is completely silent on the subject, and I'll state this: For anyone out there considering a Kemper versus Fractal (or Line 6, or, hell, Zoom for that matter) product and you are not a plug-and-play type and you wish to play around with settings via a computer editor? Keep this in mind. Kemper will sound awesome but will be a pain in your ass.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    buddachile, glide-bpm and slowerhand like this.
  20. FusionRock

FusionRock Member

THIS.
    I'll take any kind of control surface or knob over having to deal with a mouse any day.