Still no Kemper software editor...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jun 30, 2017.

1. seigmen

seigmen Member

Rumor, it is not confirmed by Kemper.

2. Frank67

Frank67 Member

Too bad. I'd love to have an editor for the Kemper. Organizing profiles with the rig manager is ok but building all the effects chains is a pain in the neck. I typically use one bank per song and then have up to five sounds for the various parts of the song, each one needs different effects. That is a lot of knob spinning. I'd love to be able to configure a few virtual pedalboards that I can then pair with the various amp profiles. Then changing an effect setting would have a more global effect and I don't need to do it a hundred times. An editor would be most appreciated.

3. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

How about adding the GT-1B to your floorboard editor? :dude

gumtown likes this.
  4. journo

journo Member

I already work like that.

First I make up a chain of stomps I want and save the Stomp section with the 4 stomps.
    Then I set the the Effects slots as I want them and save the Effects section. Whenever I have an amp profile I want to combine with a certain set-up of stomps I recall the Stomp section.

Very easy! I have about three Effects set-ups I use and five different Stomps set-ups I use so there's not a lot of scrolling to find them either.

Cheers,

Mats N

Frank67 and JiveTurkey like this.
  5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I wasn't aware you could do that. Great tip! Is there a way to scroll through rigs in browser mode using page buttons instead of killing that browse knob?

6. journo

journo Member

No, not with the Page buttons but you can use the Rigs buttons. Increase 1 with right button or 10 with the up button. Go back 1 with the left button or -10 with the down button.

Cheers,

Mats N

JiveTurkey likes this.
  7. mrboy

mrboy Member

But then when you edit stomps or any other section, you have to save it as a new preset, which is really stupid. Kemper is a good example of a company that has the patents and therefore doesn't have enough competition to develop the product faster. I mean for example, how long did it take to get the Kemper foot controller?
    Another design flaws are the weak ethernet connector at the back of Kemper, the fact that ethernet out doesn't provide enough power for long foot controller cables, lack of stereo monitor out, bad display, lack of editor, bad communication between Rig Manager and KPA when in Performance Mode, the inability to link two or more Kempers together so that edits that are made to the first Kemper would copy to the other Kempers etc.

8. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

You can even use a footswitch for this.

Viabcroce and JiveTurkey like this.
  9. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Right now, 1 Fs5 is set for gain morphing and the other is set to engage chromatic pitch shifter. I have 2different working rigs that can cover pretty much anything. Morphing really is an awesome feature!

10. mikenothing

mikenothing Member

Yes, please! :D

11. journo

journo Member

This is either a language thing (I'm not a native English speaker) or I'm just a bit dense, but I don't get this point. If you edit something and want it saved, you need to save it. All music technology products I've ever owned has worked like that.

Cheers,

Mats N

12. mrboy

mrboy Member

Yes, you have to save it. But one can't overwrite for example the existing stomps preset, but the Kemper creates a second stomps preset.

13. journo

journo Member

Ah, now I get your point. And, yes, it would be good if you could have a Replace option when saving presets like you have when you save Rigs.

Cheers,

Mats N

14. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

Also Mats, using your method as an example, lets say I create a chain of stomps and save it as Stomp A, and a chain of effects, and save it as Effects B. Lets say I then incorporate both of those presets into several different performances and rigs (I do this a lot). There is no way I can make a tweak to an individual stomp or effect and have it replicate to all of the instances of Stomp A or Effects B. I would have to do all of the work all over again manually incorporating the new tweaked stomp or effect into every instance of Stomp A or Effect B, and save each one out again, as new preset. Not efficient, creates naming convention nightmares, and organizational headaches.

15. mrboy

mrboy Member

This is why they should do the "alias"-thing where changes would be copied to each of the aliases. CK at some point hinted that they are planning something like that.

16. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

Yeah. CK said they were going to address preset management a long time ago. I'm starting to lose faith.

17. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

They can do that IMHO, but better make it globally switchable as I do NOT want such behavior. I want a default effect setup from a library, import it into a rig or performance, and save the edits in that specific rig or performance. If I want to copy a changed setup, it's too easy to use Copy and Paste at multiple levels (individual effect, entire Effects section, etc). The way it works now makes lots of sense and I don't have any issue with it.

18. mrboy

mrboy Member

Yes, it should have "normal" Paste and Paste as Alias options.

MKB likes this.
  19. jpage

jpage Member

You guys spend that much money on profiles???

20. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

Shopaholics do. :) There's totally no need, but it's part of the fun too about the Kemper. It's not like you go shopping for hundreds at a time, but I've had mine for 3 years and $20 here and $10 there and $50 there adds up. Bought many of them during sales too. In fairness too, it's a fun way to spend a sunday afternoon. Drop 10 bucks or so on an amp you're interested in and explore it for a few hours.

Another reason I do it is to support the profile makers whose work I like. For instance, I'll buy anything Bert Meulendijk puts out (I hope he forgives me the pun on his name), and have most of Andy's profiles (Amp Factory).

Viabcroce likes this.