Still no Kemper software editor...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jun 30, 2017.

1. jpage

jpage Member

$1000 is a lot of cheddar to spend on a box that already costs two grand. You say there is no need but it seems like the first thing I see experienced users tell new owners is to buy the "Britt" or "topjimi" packs. I guess like you say it's over time

2. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

I don't think I'm quite at $1,000 but last time I added it up it was 500-600 and more likely it's now at about $800. Still a lot of money, but I see it almost as a substitute for going out to a mall or a bar when I'm in the mood. Nowadays all the big vendors have sizable free packs and in truth, you really don't need to spend a cent. You just get tempted. You see this 1954 Fender Tweed and it's only 5 Pounds, and at a minimum get some good entertainment for your money. It's also diverted my GAS from buying guitars and profiles take less space!

Gearzilla, jpage and JiveTurkey like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

There are a TON of killer freebies out there. It's really a digital crackhead environment if you want it to be. The trick is to stay as restrained as you can :anon I have a metric ton of profiles but those were accumulated from the purchase of my first Kemper that I backed up the rigs from when I sold itm. I knew I'd be back. at some point :D I spent probably $25 over this past weekend on some BHP stuff, some Katzbach and Bert profiles. For gigging (at least for this week); I'm using a tweaked freebie from Katzbach.

Gearzilla likes this.
  4. Exiled_On_Main_St

Exiled_On_Main_St Member

I've spent about £100 on The Amp Factory profiles and I've got all I need.

My favourite profile is the Morgan AC20 profile that's free on the Rig Exchange.

5. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

I've had a KPA for a couple of months and have been fine without any additional purchases. However the packs are tempting, and why not if someone is hearing something they like. Sort of like buying someone's presets on other platforms--which I also managed not to purchase even though some were interesting.

:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  6. JiveTurkey

For me; I see Kempers FS, loaded with profiles where the seller is adding a ton of money on top for their inclusion. I don't really view it like that and maybe I am wrong in that regard.

7. fairness

fairness Member

I think profiles are closer to IRs than presets. You might not like them but they are almost guaranteed to work with your gear.
    Whereas presets sound 90% of the time like crap if you switch out the player, guitar and speakers.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

I don't either.. all the controls and edit functions are right on the front panel of the unit... push a few buttons, turn a few knobs. Change the guitar cab..eq the guitar cab. Amp controls are on the front just like my tube amps...No computer necessary..(thank you Herr Kemper) it's why I chose it over everything else. Profiles and free updates get better each year. No planned obsolescence... its brilliant

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    TommyGuitar, VCuomo and Gearzilla like this.
  9. JiveTurkey

Even with like deep delay parameters, you just click the page button to go from one screen to the next. Pretty painless imo.

JerEvil, fairness and Gearzilla like this.
  10. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Yes. I suppose my main point was that there's plenty of free profiles included or available that sound good if someone searches for them, along the lines of modelers are okay without purchasing presets. There's plenty in the box.

My pre-coffee analogy....

:eek:

:D

fairness likes this.
  11. mrboy

mrboy Member

Of course the editor should be designed so that those who wish to use only the front panel, would be able to continue doing so.

Gearzilla, seigmen and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Yep... possibly the most stupid thing I've seen since Windows 1.0 o_O

Too bad they have changed the buffer's behaviour... Originally, you could paste as many times as you wanted. Last time I checked, it gets emptied when you paste :confused:

For most players it's just a pleasure, like buying a new stomp... :)

True, but again it's not needed, at least not for everyone. Sure, you'll find some saying they did not appreciate the KPA until they bought some commercial profiles; OTOH, many are happy with free stuff (maybe heavily edited, like in my case) or with their own profiled rigs (think of professionals studios or top artists using the KPA).
    I think it's like any other very popular device\product\thing... you can't make everyone happy with one solution\option only.

We should not "design" a product based on our own strict needs tho. I can easily see how practical an editor would be for many people, specially those whose KPA lies far from their computer.
    Also, I can see saving work on the hardware wheels and buttons as an advantage :)
    Last, but not least, the lack of an editor has prevented at least some people from buying a Profiler, and this has necessarily to be taken into account by Kemper besides any other logistic consideration I think.

Ça va sans dire :cool:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    veritechc likes this.
  13. journo

journo Member

I see your point and would like to see it happen.

Cheers,

Mats N

flyingheelhook likes this.
  14. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

That's been my experience as well. And it was not necessarily an improvement, but is a minor issue to deal with. I'm sure there was a reason to change the behavior.

15. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Well, it makes addressing the task we are discussing here longer and less straightforward: if you have 10 presets to edit now you have to repeat the Copy part of the process 9 times more.
    There might be a reason, but I can't see an improvement in usability :(

MKB likes this.
  16. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

10-4 to that, good buddy!

I bought a Kemper back in winter of 2013. Used it up until I bought an AX8 last July. Since then, the Kemper has been pretty much just sitting in it's case for a year, and the AX8 is getting all the live and recording use, although I do use the Kemper on rare occasion in the studio. This is primarily due to (a) Ax-Edit editor (and FracPad), and also (b) the AX8 is an all-in-one solution (which from what I understand apparently Kemper will never ever do). Both machines sound great, but the AX8 is much more convenient, both from tweaking and usage points of view. FWIW, I don't see myself ever using my Kemper for gigs ever again. :D

m~Dan likes this.
  17. plexified

plexified Member

Christoph once mentioned he had a 15 year plan for the system to stay relevant. Much like the synth line , new features were made available along with condensed code to make room for them.

I deleted the snarky comments ;/

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Rod likes this.
  18. flyingheelhook

flyingheelhook Member

Not sure if that is meant to be sarcastic or not...

mbenigni likes this.
  19. JiveTurkey

There's a reason he only has 45 posts and I have 2 trillion apparently :anon:p

ucnick, Viabcroce and flyingheelhook like this.
  20. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

While in doubt myself about this being humorous or not, in the circumstance it's serious I'd like to say it's not completely true.
    CKemper himself has said some new functionalities have been implemented which were a deviation from the original plans, just because of userbase's requests.

Also, despite them having officially hushed up any rumour about an editor being in the development's pipeline, it was nevertheless a guy from them who said at a NAMM they had hired an external engineer for writing an editor...

PS: I can't recall having read about the 15 years cycle... any link? :)