Still no Kemper software editor...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by seigmen, Jun 30, 2017.

1. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

There are practical reasons for an editor that have everything to do with efficiency. For instance, spinning the KPA's browse knob 17 or 18 times just to select a WAH effect is far less efficient than simply picking it from a drop-down box using a mouse.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    veritechc, mrboy and ucnick like this.
  2. fairness

fairness Member

Clearly an editor is convenient. I don't know how any could argue against that...

buddachile likes this.
  3. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

No one's twisting anyone's arm to use an editor, either.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    buddachile likes this.
  4. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Member

As a newbie to Kemper, but a veteran of the history of modelers(Original POD Pro, DG Stomp, ZooM 9002, Rocktron VooDoo,, Digitech RP's and GSP1101, AA3, 11R and now Kemper,....and countless VSTs) an editor WOULD be helpful. But this is the 1st unit out of all of them where I immediately had to learn how to use to unit intimately.

5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I'm just curious. I have a toaster and a remote. If an editor was available I would use it. Did Kemper ever promise one would be released in the future? If it cost $ to own it, how much would it be worth to you?

6. Nick Shephard

Nick Shephard Member

Can anyone give an example where it would be a disadvantage?

7. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I believe the disadvantage would be in development time and cost, plus maintenance and customer support. Kemper is a small company and they probably have to be careful in their logistic and economical exposures.

One might suppose charging for an editor might be a viable solution, but from a strategic POV this might be be a boomerang for Kemper, specially if they sell themselves as a company that has never charged their customers for updates, upgrades and customer care.
    In this respect, since an editor is not critical for the Profiler, I'd agree it's better to make customers base wait than to charge them.

Ingolf likes this.
  8. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Kemper's been around awhile and has experience developing an editor, and I'd be willing to bet the size of their development team is on par with that of Fractal Audio.

9. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I can't say. They stated at a NAMM they hired an engineer for the editor tho.

10. fairness

fairness Member

Charging for an editor would be insane, given how much the Kemper costs already.
    Unless it's a 3rd party developing it. But would that be even legal?

11. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I don't know if it's legal, but there have been more than one third party developer who's done it. They were all MIDI based, though.

12. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

Exactly, so sooner or later KPA users are bound to get one.

13. fairness

fairness Member

No i don't mean the legality of making one, i mean the legality of making one and then selling it for money.
    Which is in the end making money out of Kempers product and i'm not sure if they would like that.
    But i am no lawyer so i have no clue about the legality....

14. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Well, I guess the most Kemper might do "against" that (if they ever wanted) would be to block any explicit reference to the company or the Profiler by third part developer...

Oh? I must have misunderstood your point then. I got you believed an editor's perspective development would take place inside Kemper's development team anyway? My answer to you was aiming at pointing out Kemper seem to not want to invest internal resources for development.

15. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

They develop for multiple products, including the Virus TI series, thus it stands to reason their development team isn't necessarily small, and it doesn't seem unreasonable that they'd seek to hire an outside developer to help with an added project.

16. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Member

Kemper will develop an editor.

That's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.

:D

fairness likes this.
  17. fairness

fairness Member

You gotta say it three times into a mirror!

18. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

I don't believe so.
    $0. I'm perfectly happy using the KPA without an editor. I also don't believe that Kemper will charge for the editor when (if) they release one for the KPA.

19. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

I hear you on this. The perception of a small workteam has probably been amplified by the latency of their response to userbase requests, even tho this might be due to several other factors.
    OTOH, people developing for the two main projects might be distinct... I don't know.

20. ColdFrixion

ColdFrixion Member

I wouldn't doubt that they are, though I'm suggesting that their need for an outside developer isn't necessarily indicative of their size.

VCuomo likes this.