Still no love for Victoria amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BMF Effects, Nov 8, 2005.

1. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

First off, I'm a huge Vicky fan so there's no disrespect intended in this thread.

So I'm GAS'ing for a Regal or Victorilux but I don't have $100 bills shooting out of my butt. Solution...sell my limited (20 or less according to Mark Baier) v-front 35210. Killer amp in every way. Now new 35210's run about $2300. I list mine for $1750 shipped and not one single bite. I've been watching Vicky's on Ebay and the resell value seems to be next to nothing. Is it just me? Am I missing something because I don't get it. Is this true of boutique amps across the board? Any thoughts?

:confused:

Look at this amp! It's dead sexy! I'm getting excited just looking at it and thinking about playing mine when I get home! The only difference between this one and mine is that I have the brown linen grillcloth like the original v-fronts.

[​IMG]

2. BMF Effects

Can't beat that with a stick.

3. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

why does it have that metal thing on the front, i don't like that

4. BMF Effects

The front of the amp is angled like a V. The metal strip holds the baffles in place. Original v-front Dual Professionals and Supers were built the same way.

1947 Dual Professional -
    [​IMG]

1952 Super -
    [​IMG]

5. hepmike

hepmike Member

i don't think it's true that "resell value seems to be next to nothing"; i think (comparatively) they hold their value quite well. there are a lot of them out there (moreso than likely any other boutique amp?) and there are a lot of models to choose from, in some cases with only minor differences to differentiate them for buyers. those factors aren't helping. also, in general, it seems like trading/reselling action is kind of slow right now.
    i think you should consider that because you have a very unique item; it's niche and appeal is going to be slightly more limited, as opposed to being wider.
    it is also possible, that i am entirely full of ****.

6. BMF Effects

Maybe "next to nothing" was not the phrase to use, but one does stand to take loss and $500 is a pretty big loss to/for me.

Guess I'll just have to keep my 35210 and buy the Victorilux as well.

:dude

7. gjf

gjf Member

I think Victoria's get the same love as most other boutique amps, which means that they sell for an appr. 25%-35% haircut from what they actually cost new (not list price). So if someone could by your amp new for $1900, figure you could sell for $1300. It is inexact and there are some exceptions, but based on my observations (and too many ebay buys and sells) this formula holds true for almost all boutique guitars and amps. It's just a drag being the guy who buys it new and then has to sell it used. Everyone else down the line pretty much gets their money out when they sell.

8. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Sure you can,

Look:

:horse

9. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Vicky's keep their value better than most tweed style amps. The problem is that there is an explosion of tweed style amp kits and builders out there working out of their basement. We've had quite a few people trying to sell the tweed clones on this board for ridiculously low prices (i.e. 500- 800) with no takers! Sometimes the components are excellent, sometimes better than what the Victoria use.

10. MVrider

MVrider Member

The problem with buying a tweed kit someone's assembled is that build quality is a crap shoot. Then if you have a problem six months down the road...

11. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Seems like the market is a bit soft right now as well. Many killer amps are just sitting around and not much is moving except for a few amp like Komet that seem to sell fast.

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Your not the only one, I have been trying to sell a Tone King Continental and I can't generate any interest. Last year when I bought it off ebay I could of sold it right after I bought it for the same price, now I can't get $950 ($200 loss). Just sit on the amp it should go up I think the market is a little flat right now.

13. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

couldn't he put that inside?????
    Take some designer classes?, hehehhehehehheheheh:D

14. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

BMF,

Which Victorilux were you looking at? I'm considering moving mine as I need some cash. I've got the 6L6, 3x10 version. PM if you're interested.

15. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Anyone here play a tweed Princetone style? I am interested is a tweed 5f2-A amp.

16. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

Inside out amps...:eek:

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

what, no love for the vic???
    i super dig my vic tweed deluxe.
    and the V-front amps are dead sexy.
    what in the heck is WRONG with U peeps?

18. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Staff Member Silver Supporting Member

New = $1,915
    Your Used Price = $1,750
    Price Difference= $165

If it was my choice, I would pay the extra $165, and get the new amp. Just my $0.02 - YMMV

BTW, I played through a new Victoria 35310 a couple years back. It was a smokin' amp. Much cooler vibe and better tone than the Double Deluxe I owned about six years ago.

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

As a fellow Continental owner (mine ain't goin' nowhere, at least this month!), respectfully, you're in a different position than the Vicky seller. In your case, you've got version 1 when if you keep your eyes open versions 2, 3, and 4 pop up frequently enough for not all that much more than version 1.

20. BMF Effects

If I were selling a regualr 35210, then I'd agree with you whole-heartedly. But that isn't the case. There were less than 20 Vicky v-fronts made. Regardless of whether or not Vicky currently offers the 35210, you can no longer get the v-front. To me, it would seem to be a little on the collectible side.