Still no sign of Gibson having a NAMM exhibit this year...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SinglecutGuy, Jan 1, 2018.

1. SinglecutGuy

SinglecutGuy Supporting Member

Unless they're waiting for the last minute to register, I just searched and still don't see a Gibson booth/hall/ballroom. That's a bad sign if they're choosing not to attend, or even worse, if they can't attend.

2. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

It would be unprecedented if they didn't show, and would perhaps indicate serious problems within Henry's empire. Look on the bright side; maybe he's selling and getting out. What a boon that would be for the guitar community.

jacopo, djd100, Figaro and 1 other person like this.
  3. SinglecutGuy

I think Gibsons current and future problems stem from the change in the market, more than that of Henry. Lots of dumb things, yes, but the market is still increasingly difficult right now.

4. kbgear

kbgear Member

FYI, there's already a thread on this. Gibson is officially focusing on CES instead, seemingly with the implication that this will be true going forward, not just this year.

I'd be surprised if Gibson could sustain a prolonged absence from NAMM, even with their current dealer network. CES seems like a poor place to show guitars, especially since the Firebird X, robot guitar, and gForce (i.e., vaguely electronics related) were not entirely successful. CES fits every(ish) other Gibson Brand well, however.

I expect within a couple of years we'll know if this was the beginning of an "end" for either GG or GB, or a temporary belt-tightening.

RockDebris likes this.
  5. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

Gibson’s a huge company. Would skipping NAMM hurt Gibson or NAMM more?

It’s not a good sign - for sure - if it skips NAMM. No way to spin it otherwise.
    I’d be very surprised if Gibson doesn’t show.

Hawking likes this.
  6. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

That's a very good question.

7. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

I'm going to NAMM I will report back.

8. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

NAMM has not benefited Fender, Gretsch, Gibson or even PRS in the last 5 years.
    Trade Shows environment are less important to anyone since the advent of
    the Internet websites.

I would be surprised if NAMM actually last more than 10 years going forward - or if
    it does it will be a significantly reduced footprint.

I've seen this behavior repeated in the big production trade shows. Big Companies
    with major presence in the market place stop sending displays - sales don't change
    a bit - but costs go significantly downward.

ak301, seltaeb, MR.K and 10 others like this.
  9. kbgear

kbgear Member

Same. But NAMM 2018 has no registered booths for Gibson, Epiphone, or any other Gibson brands, and Gibson themselves have said they aren't showing. I doubt we'll be surprised when we show up.

As for hurting NAMM, given how full ACC North is I don't think it'll hurt NAMM much. If anything, it will allow more "unanswered" exposure for Gibson's competitors, especially Fender and its brands that have a very large presence, and they'll happily fill in the gaps.

10. kbgear

kbgear Member

To some extent I agree, but for small to medium up-and-coming manufacturers I'd imagine NAMM provides essentially the only exposure to the dealers who stock both the brick-and-mortar and online stores. Stocking an online store with the well-known brands (e.g., Gibson) is a no-brainer (at least while they sell), but I can still see shows like NAMM providing an important exposure function.

My impression is that there used to be many NAMM-like trade shows over the last decades, and I've noticed the contraction. I'd expect Summer NAMM to be the first casualty, but at that point it's hard for me to imagine there being anything less than Winter NAMM and Musikmesse. It's also important to remember that guitars are only part of the draw.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Dale, gerg6 and highrise like this.
  11. fitz

fitz Member

Just looked at exhibitors & no Gibson, which is really odd. Also, there are only 13 booths available, most tiny. The largest is roughly 2500 sq. ft, which is relatively small considering Fender's is about three times the size of that.

kbgear likes this.
  12. SinglecutGuy

That may then just allow for the rise of the smaller builder/boutique presence at the show. Or at least allow them more exposure than just being in the basement.

Given the fact that they are experiencing "supply constraints " on the G-Force tuners (aka they aren't selling and they can't justify ordering more with current selling levels), disposal of the Cakewalk brand, and the massive debt situation brought about by the culmination of their acquisitions, it seems their attempt at being a lifestyle brand are failing, and the scenario of success at CES, a non-MI industry, seems highly unlikely and rather wasteful.

kbgear likes this.
  13. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

While it may serve Gibson to skip NAMM, it's not a good thing for the music community overall. In any industry, it is a good thing to have an association that helps support the shared enterprise, and which brings people together. Switching focus to the CES is terrible -- it shows an industrial orientation that moves away from music and guitar-making to focus on making widgets. It also may indicate a long-term change of focus from what guitars have been, to follow an assumption (perhaps correct?) that guitars of the past are soon to be either obsolete, or unprofitable. But when a major builder steps out of the club, it's not good.

lifeson1, lugnut111 and kbgear like this.
  14. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

Yes, the market has definitely gotten much harder....but I do have to wonder how much better Gibson would be doing without the colossal blunders like the Firebird X, Dusk Tiger, HD.6x-Pro, the Dark Fire, etc. etc.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    TA22GT likes this.
  15. kbgear

kbgear Member

I agree, but with some caveats.

CES is after all about consumer electronics, which these days is very much about lifestyle. Gibson Brands' intent is to be all up in our lifestylez, and Gibson Brands (sans guitar) are all consumer electronics. Technically CES makes sense to attend. But if you look at the breadth and magnitude of what gets presented at CES, Gibson Brands' innovation, not to mention their MI focus, really pales in comparison. It would be like Ford skipping auto shows to attend CES.

Digidog likes this.
  16. SinglecutGuy

Very good points.

Seems like a last ditch effort on their part to put all their focus on making an attempt to get into the last remaining glimpse of hope for the survival of their lifestyle branding ambitions. None of their brands outside the MI division are anywhere near the colossal giant that is Gibson, and rather it’s quite the opposite. It seems like their attempt to buy the name brands of of the past and ride on their past pedigree (albeit small in some cases), was a failure. You can’t buy your sales.

kbgear likes this.
  17. Marris Otter

Marris Otter Member

Bingo! NAMM has outlived its purpose for most companies.

18. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

That seems logical from the outside, but NAMM attendance has actually been growing the last few years and their footprint is getting bigger. One of the main reasons the Anaheim Convention Center recently expanded was to accommodate NAMM, their largest money-maker. Weird, I know.

kbgear likes this.
  19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

NAMM is like that party you threw in high school when the cool kid didn't show up. The cool kids' image didnt change and the party still went on. Just something was missing.

70' s Tone likes this.
  20. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Hasn't Gibson already released and showcased their 2018 models?