Still no sign of Gibson having a NAMM exhibit this year...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SinglecutGuy, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Starshine

Starshine Member

They still make them, you know.

2. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Other than making one post earlier in this thread, I have never posted any doom and gloom about Gibson. I didn't pay it much attention really until they shut down Cakewalk. Then I did some digging, and if you think they aren't going to be at NAMM over some idea that trade shows are passe, you are overlooking their new credit rating of Caa3 and a looming $500 million of debt maturing July/August 2018. That credit rating is already below poor and considered to be high risk. Any drop in credit rating from here and the ACTUAL definition is "likely to be in, or very near, default". If they don't go to NAMM, it's a good thing, not because of what NAMM is or isn't, but because they need to save that money and pull it out of the fire. I hope they can do it. And sell that Memphis factory too and move into a place that fits.

The worth of NAMM is an interesting debate though so I've enjoyed reading the comments. I have my own problems with Trade Shows having worked at NAMM for an exhibitor and having run my own software company that exhibited at Microsoft and IBM's large development trade shows. I agree with some here, large Trade Shows are almost self-sustaining engines because everyone fears to be left out. On the flip side, I can only imagine the tons of publicity a company gets by creating a buzz at NAMM and being featured in everyone's YouTube video. Very doubtful that you could actually buy that kind of marketing. If you can afford to exhibit at NAMM and you have something buzz-worthy, I think you do it without question.

peskypesky, MoPho and kbgear like this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

How expensive?
    There is certainly s group of Gibson fans who want the traditional guitar designs of the '50s and early 60's recreated as closely as possible. Gibson needs to do better with that. But I think there is also another segment of the market who would be receptive to new Gibson design ideas, and Gibson needs improvement in that area as well.

Just started last week!

Gurn likes this.
  4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

As a buyer, why would I even consider going to the NAMM show?

5. MaskingApathy

MaskingApathy Member

If they open it up to consumers then they'll have to extend the show by another week. It's already too crowded as is.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  6. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

Using the Sonar booth?

Gurn and kbgear like this.
  7. kbgear

kbgear Member

Why go to Auto Shows? Why go to motorcycle shows? Same thing for buyer=consumer. For retail store buyers (which I think is the definition most people follow) it's their chance to get a trip to LA, hang out with friends/contacts, and see the new range for the next year. Makes sense in both cases; the only question is value for money which will vary widely.

peskypesky likes this.
  8. Bogner

Bogner Member

If you are ONLY looking at a NAMM booth fee then you are missing about 98% of the costs to doing the show. Staff time away from "work", travel, shipping both ways of all the gear and booth set up displays, lighting, signs, stage, hotel, car rentals, food, all the other fluff that goes along with this, etc. It isn't cheap, not to mention the nickel and dime fees NAMM charges in addition to the booth. Add all of that up and it is a chunk of money. Since they shove guitars down their dealers throats any way, I don't see the ROI being there on one of the most nostalgic and recognizable names in guitars.

peskypesky, HERSCHEL and MikeMcK like this.
  9. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

10. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

To see all the new merch at one place! Have you ever gone to a boat show?....or a home & garden show?......same thing!

11. brockmann

brockmann Member

:joIf that article is accurate, whoever is making these calls is an utter idiot. Unless I am way out of the loop, it seems like they are trying to sink the ship as quickly as possible. I love the brand and it’s history, but horrible moves like this just make me sick to my stomach.

12. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Whether they're there or not I still want a Les Paul.

[​IMG]

13. Gurn

Gurn Member

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    peskypesky and Bluedawg like this.
  14. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Zezozose likes this.
  15. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Because I'm a professional guitarist endorsed by several companies.

peskypesky likes this.
  16. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I get that. I have been to countless events. I was expecting it to cost much higher. The fact that it doesn't indicates how depressed the industry must be. Or that in today's world, this is not how you reach customers.

I spend more on software than hardware these days. I can trial anything before buying. Who needs NAMM to showcase innovation?

17. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Yeah I have. The funny thing is that in music gear there is seldom anything "new". It's mostly rehashed ideas.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  18. Masterglazier

Masterglazier Supporting Member

Sometimes ya just gotta hit the curb before ya wake up. Gibson has been asleep at the wheel for a bit to long IMO. And way outta touch with reality in the price range for most people. Only a matter of time before they are over with. You simply cannot run in the red year after year. Soon they will not be able to get a loan to get out of the hole. The margins on the guitars are HUGE! How do you lose money every year? Simply downsize, and lay off half the staff.

19. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

20. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

That's a good reason to go, but from a purely business side, unless you were actually performing at a booth (which is also unnecessary) Then there is another reason to have a couple of consumer days where it is more just about the gear, artists and the entertainment industry in general. I'm ok with them having celebrities there, and even consumers (which kind of go together) But not on business days. I have done all the roles myself, been a booth artist, worked as a retail buyer and the last 15 years as a manufacturer's rep. And of course I like to see some new gear, and gawk at the attention seekers.