Still no sign of Gibson having a NAMM exhibit this year...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SinglecutGuy, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I'm guessing that with Fender's main plant only a skip and a hop away in Corona, Ca that the LA NAMM isn't the expense it would be for Gibson ...

They have plenty of company owned storage in the immediate area. Getting their gear to the show doesn't involve an expensive cross country trip and most or at least some of their employees can just go home for the night rather than put them up at a hotel.

And it doubles as an excuse to bring their out of town employees in for visits at the factory for meetings, training, etc.

:banana

Unexplainedbacon, HERSCHEL and kbgear like this.
  2. dwk302

dwk302 Supporting Member

I love how everyone is a Fortune 500 marketing analyst all the sudden.

Do you actually think Gibson, GIBSON, the most tone deaf, most incompetently run company in music industry, actually knows something that hasn’t dawned on Fender, Martin, Marshall, Dunlop, MM, Taylor, and literally everyone else in the industry? Please.

stonem, Boundcustom, Figaro and 2 others like this.
  3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  4. Masterglazier

Masterglazier Supporting Member

Oh ok, So where do they stop the bleeding then? Because it costs them exactly 479.00 to complete a custom shop model that is built and finished. I guess there is to much overhead. Like I said, lay off half the work force and downsize. Marketing is of little need, we all know who they are, and what they build. Cut that budget down to say 1/3 of what it is now. That would be like a big bandaid, with a blood transfusion. Oh and skip NAMM. They simply can't afford it, it is what it is.

5. HERSCHEL

HERSCHEL Member

I think Fender is fully aware, but as @Bluedawg mentions, NAMM is a local show for them so the costs are much less and they probably see it as no big deal to go as tradition.

And some of us actually are Fortune 500 marketing analysts. :D

kbgear likes this.
  6. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

$479 to build a CS Gibson? Where do you get that number? Exactly that number?

Lay off half the work force? That is not a particularly sustainable business model?

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Gibson's bread and butter has always been their "standard" models. They have always tried different models that have come and gone. They definitely need to keep trying different things but the problem now is they've tried so many weird and strange things that just didn't sell and have also let quality go down the toilet so now they are deep in debt. They have even tried changing the long time specs of standard models (2015). How did that work out for them? If Gibson wants to make a comeback, they need to do it by making good versions of their standard models that are priced right. In other words ones that play well and that players really want and will buy. Not green LP's with wider necks and robot tuners!

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Agreed. When was the last time Mesa was there? It's been years. They're not as big as Gibson or Fender, obviously, but still a pretty big name.

HERSCHEL likes this.
  9. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I asked the same question. Nobody started the funeral for Mesa when they bailed on NAMM. I think Gibson is in a lot of trouble as a company, but whether they attend NAMM or not isn't some kind of canary.

NAMM might be more of a value to companies like Gibson if they opened it up to the general public like a con or something where they could gin up hype on their brand amongst the rabble and help create a demand that retailers respond to. Maybe.

10. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Not going to NAMM isn't that big a deal by itself. Companies do/have skipped NAMM and no one cares. But I can't help seeing it as a negative indicator when a marquee brand like Gibson has earned a terrible credit rating, closes businesses, sells a factory and has a huge debt coming to maturity. Hope they can persist and pull it out of the fire. Will revisit in August to see how they handled their debt and what parts of the company are still left and who is in control

olivier064 and peskypesky like this.
  11. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Member

I daresay Gibson's tent at CES costs way more than their room at NAMM did. At CES, they're the only guitar maker there and they promote all of their home entertainment brands as well (Onkyo, Cervin Vega etc.). They could move the stuff from Vegas to Anaheim, but they'd have to store it for the weeks inbetween. I'll see if they have anything to say next week at CES.

kbgear likes this.
  12. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

2HBStrat, HERSCHEL and tripp2k like this.
  13. tripp2k

tripp2k International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

Henry has stated very clearly that the brand will become a lifestyle brand. He's gotta execute against that and CES is where that happens. All of the other speculation (not yours...a general statement about thread) is irrelevant. Whether this strategy works for them...we'll see.

14. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Gibson furniture and cookware. Can’t wait.

gnjlee, kbgear and Gurn like this.
  15. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I get that, but based on the products that are most closely related to the Gibson name (i.e.; guitars), Henry's work is cut out for him and he and Gibson have almost zero experience and credibility as a "lifestyle brand", even though I have heard him speak those words...and I laughed liked most everyone else.
    He and his investment team managed to save Gibson many years ago and credit is definitely due for that, but his ego is going to be the undoing of the company if he's not careful.

16. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...f-the-electric-guitar/?utm_term=.ecedcfb75762

"The convention couldn’t sound less rock-and-roll — the National Association of Music Merchants Show. But when the doors open at the Anaheim Convention Center, people stream in to scour rows of Fenders, Les Pauls and the oddball, custom-built creations such as the 5-foot-4-inch mermaid guitar crafted of 15 kinds of wood.

Standing in the center of the biggest, six-string candy store in the United States, you can almost believe all is well within the guitar world.

Except if, like George Gruhn, you know better. The 71-year-old Nashville dealer has sold guitars to Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift. Walking through NAMM with Gruhn is like shadowing Bill Belichick at the NFL Scouting Combine. There is great love for the product and great skepticism. What others might see as a boom — the seemingly endless line of manufacturers showcasing instruments — Gruhn sees as two trains on a collision course.

'There are more makers now than ever before in the history of the instrument, but the market is not growing,' Gruhn says in a voice that flutters between a groan and a grumble. 'I’m not all doomsday, but this — this is not sustainable.'"

gnjlee, HERSCHEL and Gurn like this.
  17. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I think the fundamental problem was that Henry thought he was another Steve Jobs, when he should have just been trying to be a Paul Reed Smith.

gnjlee, kbgear and Figaro like this.
  18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I pretty much agree. While Steve Jobs was no real genius, he did manage to surround himself with talented people and both gave them the ability to create and motivated them to see what he saw. Many times seeing what others in the industry were not able to.
    I don't believe that Henry has the vision for the future nor the leadership skills to surround himself with other leaders.

19. Gurn

Gurn Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, but what about the lifestyle exhibits? Surely there is growth in the that sector. Isn’t there?
    The electric guitar lifestyle still has appeal.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    peskypesky likes this.