Still planning on new build, but what to do with old amp project...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by axpro, Apr 20, 2015.

1. axpro

axpro Member

Hey guys, Still thinking of a scratch built EL34 powered Matchless-ey thing, Maybe something like a Brave, BUT.

I've got a Weber 6a14HP combo. I've rebuilt it into a few different projects over the years, A few Z and Matchless flavoured variants... but it's never sounded right. I don't know if it's the iron or what. The amp is built around 6l6's and is right now kida like a kt45 i would guess... route 66 front end, 6l6 output.

Anyways, it sounds like crap.

I've rebuilt it and rebuilt it, but never loved it. maybe the lightweight iron doesn't have the meat for 6l6's (its a little small) maybe i should build something around 6v6's instead.

It never sounded "right" to me.

I like beefy low end, cleans to be big fat cleans and gain to be thick meaty gain.

Just feel i should do something with what i have before taking on buying parts.

I have a marshall 2203 based amp built out of an old Laney donor (with massive iron) that sounds CRUSHING, but this one has never gotten it right.

Any thoughts? O-Amp Geniuseseses?
    :D

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Buy some different tranny's, The power may work for other projects, but the ot may be more work than it is worth.

3. axpro

axpro Member

Yeah... truth be told, the Weber kits I have done never really bonded with me. yes They were tube amps, but they didn't perform all that well. I built a 5e3x2 that never really satisfied, this princeton project amp, and a tweed princeton... They worked but never really delivered the tone i wanted.

Built lots of stuff out of old Traynors and Laneys, All with BIG iron, and those amps always sounded better.... for a good reason. The amps i tend to keep, Badcats, DrZ, Mesa, all have bigger deeper more complex tone that what the weber stuff provides. I think if I wasn't such a low frequency freak I'd be perfectly happy with the Weber stuff, pieces I sold or traded away seem to have found happy homes, but I think with my love of thick guitar sounds, I need to invest a little more in Iron.

4. axpro

axpro Member

So, I can get a hammond 1760L fairly cheap and local. which should really beef up the output... but now i am wondering about power, and again, going back to "Why change the transformers, just start from scratch!" lol

5. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

The PT is rated for 150 mA----- that is lightweight for getting much headroom out of 6L6GC's----- it would work fine for 6v6 or maybe even for EL34----- maybe consider 7591A's or 7868's.
    I recently re-did a Weber 6M45P head kit that someone couldn't finish---- I used a new turret board, pots, jacks, power supply caps, etc.
    I built a moderately gain enhanced 2204 circuit and I'm underwhelmed by the overall tone of the amp----- I've built many Marshall MV based circuits in many different power levels--- I've checked voltages, swapped tubes, etc, etc and all is well.
    The amp operates well but the tone I'm looking for (expecting really) just isn't there.
    Now I'm suspecting the stock Weber OT just isn't giving the sound I want-----I'll swap in a Classictone 50 watt Marshall replacement OT when I get time---- I expect this will solve the problem.
    I've read about Weber OT's not delivering the goods many times---- I've used many Weber PT's in many builds and have experienced good results but this is the first Weber OT I have experience with.
    I've used many brands of OT's in many, many builds/replacements and I've never had one that I was disappointed with................. until now.
    I'll swap in the Classictone I have on hand and see what it sounds like when I get time.
    Right now I have two Ampeg V4B's in my shop that I'm rescuing----- both were given to the owners for free because they were inop (derelict amps)----- I got the first one operating and bought it from the owner----- now slowly going through it and getting everything up to spec ------ the second one will be done after I finish mine.
    Then I can get back to the Weber rescue project............... gldtp99

6. axpro

axpro Member

Hey gldtp99, thanks for re-affirming. I was thinking of going back to 6v6's.

7. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

I'm no "expert" or "guru", but I am a guitar player that knows when an amp has got the necessary beans to stand up and deliver, and after a dozen or so builds, and more repairs, having decent iron in these things is step 1.

Put the right transformer in there, as it's quite literally the heart of the tube amp.

8. axpro

axpro Member

I hear you Chris, and I agree, my concern that with the cost of "decent" iron, I would really much rather just start from scratch and build something better. The existing mounting hole for the laydown transformer is a little small, so I would be having to drill new holes, and make covers for existing holes... and I would much rather build in a new Head shell than the combo shell its in.

So I may change the output transformer to a hammond equivelant (maybe one rated for a Bassman) that should come close to dropping in, but I don't want to be doing major reconstruction just to use the chassis.

I may drop in a Tophat Club Deluxe type circuit, which is similar to a Matchless lightning running 6v6's while waiting on new output iron. See how that goes. Then decide what i want to build next

Thinking something like a Matchless Brave... BIG iron...

9. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

Here's a new vid featuring an amp I built that has a Weber PT (Twin Reverb replacement). It has a Mercury Magnetics choke and an Edcor 100 watt, 4.2k primary, 4/8/16 ohm secondary OT.
    The amp is based on a 1974 Orange OR80 that I own----- lower B+ than the orig Orange and some other minor changes.
    Chris from Dead Oak has been playing this amp for several years with no problems whatsoever:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  10. axpro

axpro Member

Cool gltdp99!

After digging around what seems forever trying to find a bolt in transformer replacement, I suddenly remembered ALLEN AMPLIFICATION!

And OF COURSE Allen has a pretty much exact fit higher powered power transformer, and an output transformer designed for MORE BASS!

Suddenly i am excite about this project again! lol

11. axpro

axpro Member

BAM!

New PT, New OT and new choke on the way!
    hmmmmm

Maybe i can make something fun and el34 powered after all! :D