Still think strat bridge pups are thin and weak?

omfg51

If so, I'd like to point you in the direction of not only this particular video, but to this particular artist, Nick Johnston. I personally find his strat tone to be quite beefy, in most any pickup position. He knows the many ways of the strat and he knows them well. Never be too quick to judge a strat based on its bridge pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQp2cuqySGM

fretnot

Platinum Supporting Member
If so, I'd like to point you in the direction of not only this particular video, but to this particular artist, Nick Johnston. I personally find his strat tone to be quite beefy, in most any pickup position. He knows the many ways of the strat and he knows them well. Never be too quick to judge a strat based on its bridge pickup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQp2cuqySGM
Isn't he playing on his neck pickup?

Badside

Isn't he playing on his neck pickup?
Looks like it, but in the 2nd half it doesn't sound very "bridge-ish".
It is fair to say he recorded his performance first then filmed a faked performance...

That said, sounds similar to say a Malmsteen type of tone. It's not particularly fat, sounds like a hot bridge single (potentially noiseless)

darkinners

Eric Johnson made Strat bridge pickup sound fat and smooth, If I can get that tone I probably will love strat bridge pickup.

kidmo

Where's the beef?
Never thought bridge pickups were thin and weak, they're single coil, they do what they do very well.

tjmicsak

You can't unplug a HB guitar from an amp then plug in a Strat to that same amp and same settings and expect it to sound full. You need to start from the beginning and set the amp for the guitar.
The same is true for playing a Strat and then plugging in a HB guitar on the same amp and settings- it will sound like a muffled fart in a cardboard box.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
The Dumble-flavored pedals work spectacularly well at fattening up the Strat bridge pickup, even if you don't add much gain. Roll off the volume pot on the guitar just a pinch, the tone as well if you've so modded if, keep the pick away from the bridge... Plenty even with a Fender Blackface type amp. Wampler Ecstasy Drive or Zen Drive work great but sound different.

Local guy plays a Tele through a Sparkle Drive into a Tweed clone 3x10. Sparkle Drive is nearly always on, controls the gain via the volume and tone pots on the guitar. The bridge sounds nearly as thick as the neck, just with a different voice and attack. The Sparkle Drive is pretty similar to a Tube Screamer but with a parallel clean path so you keep some attack that TS pedals usually kill.

CubanB

Eric Johnson made Strat bridge pickup sound fat and smooth, If I can get that tone I probably will love strat bridge pickup.
That's a unique case though IMO.. because he uses a different amp and cab for his dirty sounds. And he just rolls off the tone knob to reduce treble.

It's not exactly fat sounding (from the guitar side).. but the amp is so fat sounding, that it makes a good combination when they are played together. When using that same pickup on his Fender Twin for his clean sound.. I don't think it'd sound so fat. More thin/bright/chimey.

Amps play a big part of it, adding their own character into it etc.

Delayed Delay

You can't unplug a HB guitar from an amp then plug in a Strat to that same amp and same settings and expect it to sound full. You need to start from the beginning and set the amp for the guitar.
The same is true for playing a Strat and then plugging in a HB guitar on the same amp and settings- it will sound like a muffled fart in a cardboard box.
THIS x 1,000,000

It always cracks me up when people think you should be able to keep your same settings when switching guitars.

My settings on my Gabriel...

w/ Les Paul:
Tone: 2 o'clock
Volume: 9 o'clock

w/ ASAT Special:
Tone: 9:30
Volume: 12:30

I have a feeling when I get my Legacy in a couple weeks the settings will look something like this:

Tone: 8:30
Volume: 2:00

Just comes with the territory of using different guitars.

Trending Topics