Stinky Guitar Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Cranknfrank, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Hello folks:
    Here is an odd question. Here at my shop we are trying to help a local luthier get his guitar making business up and running. He does good work and the guitars are nice. Here's the problem.....The guy is a heavy smoker and his guitars stink....literally! We can't open the cases and display the guitars because they reek so badly. Is there anything we can do to de-funk-ify these instruments?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Maybe he should have some pine tree hang tags made. :D

Fabreze maybe?

3. pm81

pm81 Member

I had a real nasty smelling guitar case. I've used a zeolite, which is a mineral that absorbs odors, deionizes water, etc. Worked pretty well. It doesn't have to be "on" the case or guitar, just near it.

I thought it was BS until I tried it. Hope it works out for you.

Hardware stores should have it (I got mine at a local Home Depot, which had it advertised as a volcanic rock (I can't remember the brand name, it was in a mesh bag).

Paul

4. Cranknfrank

Cranknfrank Member

Guys:
    Thanks for the responses. Help, opinions and suggestions are appreciated!

5. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Hmmm...smoking around sawdust, stacks of wood, finishing materials, acetone, naptha (lighter fluid). I can think of lots of reasons besides the smell that this is not a good idea.

John

6. unclej54

unclej54 Guest

i buy and sell quite a few old guitars and band instruments..they've often been in granny's attic for a long time and smell pretty bad..fabreeze, the spray product that you can find at any grocery store eliminates nearly all of the odor in even the worst of them..just spray the case and let it work over night.

good stuff