• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

STL ToneHub -- where's the hype?

PB26

I just discovered this and I can't believe there is so little discussion around this plugin on here. I've compared my Kemper STL packs to the ToneHub versions of the same presets and it's 100% exact. From a pure tone perspective this thing is IMO the equal of the Kemper. Obviously there are still reasons to own the hardware, but tonewise the gap between the best hardware and plugin land has definitely been closed.

One thing I would also suggest is that the plugin has the edge over the Kemper as far as deviating from the profile with gain, EQ and other controls. I never liked how this sounded on the Kemper -- even minor tweaks did not sound like a natural adjustment. I either take a profile as is or move on. With this plugin, tweaks away from the default profile just sound 'right'.

Anyway, for a 'desk' player like me who doesn't need complex routing or portability, this thing is the Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned.

Bentayuk

I'll admit, I'm very curious. My STL Lasse Lammert Kemper pack was one of the greatest things I've ever played!

PB26

I'll admit, I'm very curious. My STL Lasse Lammert Kemper pack was one of the greatest things I've ever played!
The Lammert pack was my point of comparison. I trialed the plugin plus 5 of the artist packs and ended up grabbing the Lammert, Wade and Mesa amp packs.

I love the fact that I can run only a single instance of the plugin on my main guitar buss in stereo, and have the left and right panned tracks feed right in and reamp/audition tones on the fly.

Bentayuk

The Lammert pack was my point of comparison. I trialed the plugin plus 5 of the artist packs and ended up grabbing the Lammert, Wade and Mesa amp packs.

I love the fact that I can run only a single instance of the plugin on my main guitar buss in stereo, and have the left and right panned tracks feed right in and reamp/audition tones on the fly.
Is that Alex Wade? His Tonecrate Kemper pack was another massive hit!

PB26

Is that Alex Wade? His Tonecrate Kemper pack was another massive hit!
It's Andrew Wade. Absolutely crushing rhythm tones. Heavy, crisp and full. Like a pile driver on palm mutes. Perfect for me because he used an ESP Eclipse with EMG 81, which is the same pickup and almost the same tonewoods I'm using.

Andre LaFosse

I demo'd it a while back and was highly impressed. Nice to hear from an actual Kemper owner that the sound is on point!

I was sorely tempted by their current 40% off sale, but wanted to demo it again before pulling the trigger. Alas, my first demo expired a while back, and when I inquired, they told me they have no way of resetting the demo period. Ah well...

Hoth

Gold Supporting Member
I have to agree with OP. There are a LOT of great programs these days ITB. I'm actually moving mostly to computer based stuff now that I am never playing out. The two brands that I think are a cut above are Neural DSP and STL. For STL I think both AmpHUB and ToneHUB are killer applications in different ways. I do think pricing for the STL is on the high side, although for Amp Hub I do somewhat understand the subscription model. PSA - Tonehub right now is on significant discount so I recommend getting it now which makes it a much more reasonable value. The Michael Britt stuff is awesome as all his stuff is usually. I find his STL patches show he has learned from all the previous profiling he has done over the years and these patches are mostly killer. The STL stuff also has some additional clarity and tweakability that other platforms of the profiling type may not have. It's almost as if there is a combination of profiling and modeling going on with the STL stuff. Anyway, just MHO and 2 cents.

brocksultan45

I will echo the previous poster. Tonehub does not get enough mention around here. For just the playing experience itself, I prefer Archetype Plini from Neural DSP. However, Tonehub covers so many bases and is a valuable production tool. The nature of presets means there is more digging to find what you want, AND it’s a far less confusing/frustrating process if you already have a project open.

The core Sounds could use improvement and after a year it’d be nice if they expanded it (there’s some good ones too, including the ampeg svt’s). Brian Hood's patch on the Bogner Ecstacy Plexi setting is such a killer lead. The lasse lammert pack is heavy and ripping. The michael Britt pack is filled with great sounding vintage flavored amps (my current favorite).

The effects in tonehub often take some criticism. Tonehub's reverb and delay are not as wonderful as Archetype Plini, but most importantly, the two post effects sections sound nothing alike. This provides variety and helps things sound complimentary in a mix rather than homogenous. At least, that is how I'm using it. I thoroughly dig both.

One last thing. Tonehub is difficult to get a sense of what it actually sounds like. From pack to pack, they each have their own stamp. For example, this makes comparing a SLO-100 from STL to Neural DSP less definitive.

Last edited:

ill check out some of the demos this weekend. i dont know most of these producers so ill have to peruse the preset sheets to find out which packs have amps im interested in. i downloaded the tonehub thing ages ago and was confused by the stock presets that all sounded awful. i didn't realize they had these kemper style profile packs available. i have one of the kemper packs from stl and its pretty good.

mikah912

ill check out some of the demos this weekend. i dont know most of these producers so ill have to peruse the preset sheets to find out which packs have amps im interested in. i downloaded the tonehub thing ages ago and was confused by the stock presets that all sounded awful. i didn't realize they had these kemper style profile packs available. i have one of the kemper packs from stl and its pretty good.
Yeah, the stock "profiles" are....uh....the opposite of good. But as a modern high gain fan, they have quite a few that are just sterling. The Mark Lewis pack alone is a comprehensive toolbox with virtually every "food group" you'd need. Same for the Will Putney stuff.

AZG

Anyone compare this with TH-U and their Rig Libraries? Both of them are attempting to do the same thing (Kemper style profiles in plugin format). I've been really impressed with TH-U and the Rig Libraries I've purchased. Wondering how this stacks up? TH-U has a much lower priced point of entry.

Andre LaFosse

I love ToneHub. To me, IMHO, there's an airiness, "amp-in-the-room," 3-D quality to them that no other software amp sim platform/approach has.

I have TH-U, and a couple of rig libraries. I like TH-U a lot, but I find the baseline for ToneHub to be much more consistent. TH-U tends to have a more up-front, "dead" studio kind of sound, whereas ToneHub almost always has some air and room to the tones.

Different ToneHub packs/producers do indeed have their own stamp to them. They all tend to share that spacious airy quality, though. (For that really dry, studio-fied tone, they can get the job done, but wouldn't be my first choice.)

ToneHub stuff has free trials, so you can put them through their paces before you pull the trigger. TH-U doesn't offer trials on their rig libraries (other than the stuff that comes included with TH-U), so it's much more of a dice roll for those.

ToneHub and/or its packs go on sale often enough that, with a bit of patience and a bargain-hunter's eye, you probably don't have to pay full price.

All the guitar tones on this tune are from the Dan Korneff ToneHub pack:

I downloaded like 9 different packs and got it working. These are... okay. Honestly, it sounds like what's happening is that STL have a sort of base amp model and used some sort of tone matching to "profile" them further, because there's a definite flavor to all the profiles so far. There's a certain harshness in the high-end that's bugging me. It's not on par with Kemper, but I'm able to get some good tones with this. I'll spend more time over the weekend sitting with ToneHub and what it can do. A lot of these have way, way too much gain even for modern high gain sounds, which the majority of these packs seemed to be aimed towards.

eriwebnerr

Want to thank you all for posting this. ToneHub is seriously good, easy to use and sounds great. They are running a sale now and on top of that if you are signing up for a new account you get an extra 20% off if your cart has more than one time.
They are definitely geared towards higher gain players, but some really good low gain tones in there. The tweed pack is worth the price of the whole thing alone.
I seriously thought i would find it too limiting and did the demo of the AmpHub first. While it sounds good and is also easy to use, it is a lot more freeing to just have a great tone dialed in and ready to go. I don’t have to bother with setting up the whole chain, just play. Of course you can tweak if you want. I really like the generic amp and cab interface provides a lot of options for adjusting the core tone without going too far off.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
I'm intrigued by this, especially with the 40% off and with Eriwebnerr saying you get an extra 20% off when you sign up for a new account. I like my setup with my tube amps/pedals but to be able to quietly record later at night would be a great option.

I play 90's-influenced rock. Anyone have suggestion on the best pack or two to get?

Trending Topics