• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

STL ToneHub -- where's the hype?

Guitarzan00

I'm intrigued by this, especially with the 40% off and with Eriwebnerr saying you get an extra 20% off when you sign up for a new account. I like my setup with my tube amps/pedals but to be able to quietly record later at night would be a great option.

I play 90's-influenced rock. Anyone have suggestion on the best pack or two to get?
No one will be able to give you an accurate recommendation. Because it's like a kemper, and it's a profile that was shot with the amp at specific settings, with a specific guitar/pickups and in a situation you may not find yourself in, what works for someone else, may not work for you. They do have full featured trials though, so you can try it out yourself before deciding what to purchase. For me personally, the only pack that I liked when I did the trial was the mesa dual rec pack. I demoed a bunch of the others, but was not a big fan of any of them with my gear. Like Kemper profiles as well, you can make small tweaks to a profile, but if you stray too far from the defaults, it's not quite right.

I did demo the amphub plug-in when it was first released and wasn't overly impressed, but a few months later they released their EVH 5153 model and I actually liked that one quite a bit. Rather than the monthly fee, you can purchase individual models if you don't need all of them and I ended up purchasing the amphub plug-in on sale and you get a choice of 1 amp for free with the player, so I added the 5153.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
No one will be able to give you an accurate recommendation. Because it's like a kemper, and it's a profile that was shot with the amp at specific settings, with a specific guitar/pickups and in a situation you may not find yourself in, what works for someone else, may not work for you. They do have full featured trials though, so you can try it out yourself before deciding what to purchase. For me personally, the only pack that I liked when I did the trial was the mesa dual rec pack. I demoed a bunch of the others, but was not a big fan of any of them with my gear. Like Kemper profiles as well, you can make small tweaks to a profile, but if you stray too far from the defaults, it's not quite right.

I did demo the amphub plug-in when it was first released and wasn't overly impressed, but a few months later they released their EVH 5153 model and I actually liked that one quite a bit. Rather than the monthly fee, you can purchase individual models if you don't need all of them and I ended up purchasing the amphub plug-in on sale and you get a choice of 1 amp for free with the player, so I added the 5153.
That's fair. I know a lot of people and reviews seem to agree that high gain is what it does well. While I don't mind high gain, I'm not needing "melt you face off" levels. I was going to give the demo a whirl since the 40% off lasts through 4/9, but was hoping to be pointed in a general direction rather than downloading the different packs and trying them out. I'm looking forward to tweaking some things here and there.

eriwebnerr

@KCWM definitely try the demo. You can also demo most if not all of the packs. You need to download an install for each one but it’s fast and simple to run. You also need ilok but once you get it running you don’t have to pay any attention to it.
I don’t have a clue who any of the producers are they base a lot of their content on but I focused on the amp packs instead and found what I was looking for. The presets are also really tweakable with extra stomps and effects. Have fun!

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
@KCWM definitely try the demo. You can also demo most if not all of the packs. You need to download an install for each one but it’s fast and simple to run. You also need ilok but once you get it running you don’t have to pay any attention to it.
I don’t have a clue who any of the producers are they base a lot of their content on but I focused on the amp packs instead and found what I was looking for. The presets are also really tweakable with extra stomps and effects. Have fun!
I'm currently in the middle of my demo but I cannot overcome latency in my DAW which makes having it pretty useless. I've tried every setting I can think of to reduce the buffer but it's almost at least a second delay even though everything is showing it should be single digit ms. It's incredibly frustrating.

Edit: Apparently, the plugins I had on the Post FX for the overall mix was causing the issues. Crisis averted.

I'm going to play the crap out of this thing until Friday and will likely pull the trigger. Between what you get from the core of it and the John Feldmann and Howard Benson packs, I feel like it's worth the investment.

I'm also not getting the 20% off in my cart, but that's not a biggie.

Last edited:

eriwebnerr

I'm also not getting the 20% off in my cart, but that's not a biggie
I think I was wrong about the extra 20%. It doesn’t seem to compound with the 40% already taken off now. I clicked the link in the email they sent but didn’t do the math. It must be for after the Easter sale is over. But still, good value at 40% off. I was thinking for the styles you were talking about that free Archean pack will cover a lot of ground with its 2 channels.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
I think I was wrong about the extra 20%. It doesn’t seem to compound with the 40% already taken off now. I clicked the link in the email they sent but didn’t do the math. It must be for after the Easter sale is over. But still, good value at 40% off. I was thinking for the styles you were talking about that free Archean pack will cover a lot of ground with its 2 channels.
Thanks for responding. I added the things to my cart and got an email saying something about the STL Rewards Program and getting 20% off, but I can't find any way to join it. I sent an email to support.

I do agree. The Archean pack is pretty solid for what you get. I think between it and the Howard Benson, I'd be set. If they CAN work the 20%, then I'd pick up the Feldmann pack. Between those, I don't think I'd need the Fender or Marshall until they go on sale better.

I'm curious how it sits in a mix, especially when combined with my actual amps. I've been practicing with it today while working on a new part and I might give that a whirl. I assume that what's actually happening is that my DAW is recording the clean signal I'm playing and then adding the ToneHub preset on top of it. If that's the case I can change the preset as I'm playing and it will change the sound. That will give me plenty of opportunity to play with the sound as well. That could work out quite well. As it will cost me around the same price of a new pedal, it's hard to say no that .

Andre LaFosse

@KCWM For ToneHub stuff that's not focused on hi-gain/metal, I like:

Dan Korneff
Michael Britt
Kris Crummet
Colin Brittain
David Bendeth

For sheer diversity and range, as well as baseline quality, Michael Britt 2020 is hard to beat.

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member

Dan Korneff
Michael Britt
Kris Crummet
Colin Brittain
David Bendeth

For sheer diversity and range, as well as baseline quality, Michael Britt 2020 is hard to beat.
I’ll check out the demos tomorrow

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member

Dan Korneff
Michael Britt
Kris Crummet
Colin Brittain
David Bendeth

While I haven't been able to check it out, I did listen to demos on the STL site and I really dig the Kris Crummet 02 pack, and that Michael Britt 2020 does seem pretty cool. The other three demos sounded cool but didn't hit me quite as well as the Crummet 2 and Britt did.

I might end up getting the Benson, Crummet 2, and/or Britt 2020. The Feldmann has kind of fallen down to the bottom of the list and might be something I look into at a later time. I need to spend some time with the Crummet and Britt presets later tonight.

I received a response from Customer Service. They did disable the 20% during this 40% off sale.

Cactusprick

Tried the demo last night and left me quite underwhelmed to be honest. Only had stock profiles to test so..

KCWM

Silver Supporting Member
Tried the demo last night and left me quite underwhelmed to be honest. Only had stock profiles to test so..
You can demo other packs for 5 days.

I just streamed some music with it. I fiddled with the EQ section and I found some of the presets more to my liking. It will take me time to get an understanding of using the EQ, but the ability to tweak away along with trying different presets as the song plays is going to be a great tool.

Will it replace my physical amps? I don't think so, but it's an option...one that costs me about the same as the pedals I might buy. I will get more use out of that than another pedal.

Trending Topics