• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Stock Fender 65' DRRI or Egnater Tweaker Combo

javierj

***Stock DRRI vs Stock Egnater Tweaker 112 Combo***

The only two electric guitars I use:
- 98' Fender MIM Strat (Tex Mex Pick Ups)
- 2013' Epiphone Full Hollow Body Emperor Swingster Royale (Standard Epiphone SwingBuckerTM pickups)

Hello everybody, hope you are all doing great! This thread topic or similar is available on other threads I have read on this forum and others, but I had to start one myself, since I was not getting the info that I was looking for. So basically I have been wanting to get a new Fender 65' Reissue Deluxe Reverb (have not found a used one where I live). We can probably all agree that this is a great all round amp. I am looking for something withing the 15 to 22 watts power range. The problem is that I think I cannot afford the price of the DRRI and even if I did, would probably want to change the stock C12K Jensen speaker for an Emi Cannabis Rex, so even more money. Now the DRRI is not the only great amp out there within the 15 to 22 watts range. I then turn my eye to the Egnater Tweaker 15watt 112 combo, which I think is a great amp too and I absolutely love the stock speaker which is a Celestion G12H30 Anniversary, and the Egnater is $600 new, vs $1,000 to 1,100 for the DRRI. I know the Deluxe Reverb is a Fender and it has more headroom than the Tweaker, more power and Spring Reverb and Tremolo, but I am sure a nice reverb pedal like the TC Electronic Hall of Fame, could suit my needs nicely, for the reverb part. By the way I like to play classic rock, blues, general soft and harder rock. I do like to have a really good clean sound out of the amp, but also a nice overdrive and some crunchiness. Definitely no hardcore metal or really heavy stuff. I use the Digitech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive, Bad Horsie Steve Vai 2 Wah, MXR Carbon Copy Delay and Red Witch Moon Phaser Deluxe(with tremolo effect added as extra). The Tweaker has some very nice tone shaping options. My guitar tech has a lot of experience with guitar and amps, etc, so I told him that I was thinking of no longer buying a DRRI and instead get the Egnater Tweaker. He said: "Oh man f***CK the Egnater, they sound like ass, have not heard one yet that I like, get the DRRI" I don't think my american guitar tech has heard the Tweaker and if he has, maybe not heard it properly to see the good qualities of the amp. There is a greater chance that I can ever afford the Tweaker than the DRRI. Will like to hear your thoughts on the comparison between these two amps. By the way I am totally okay with the Tweaker 15 watt output/loudness/headroom which is obviously lower than the DRRI, so is not about that difference. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

djw

Silver Supporting Member
I am not sure a DRRI is that much better than a Tweaker 15. If we were talking about a real '65 BFDR or something else from the late 60s/early 70s era, I'd say the Egnater isn't in the ballpark... but for NEW amps, I don't think the DRRI is that much better, subjectively, than the Tweaker. The Egnater has some flexibility that the DRRI lacks, like an effects loop, different gain options, approximate Vox & Marshall tones, etc. DRRI's now are pretty good, but not $500 better than the Tweaker.

The only thing the DRRI has over the Tweaker is the size of the cabinet, which does lend some tonal girth that, in the case of the Tweaker, leaves it sounding relatively boxy. So combo vs combo, I think the DRRI does win out. But if you wanted to go with a Tweaker head + the 1x12 cab of your choice, you have a lot more options.

So. For grab and go, the DRRI is the winner. If you want to expand with other cabinet options, the Tweaker offers some more flexibility and can do things the DRRI can't.

javierj

Thanks a lot for your thoughts djw, much appreciated! So I ended up buying the Tweaker 112 Combo today, because I had the cash for it and I got it NEW, for a really good price. I definitely did not have the money for the DRRI, not to mention that here in Costa Rica, the prices for imported musical instruments are quite high, specially the heavier the weight of the amp is, so I did not have the money for it. I spend like an hour and a half at the local music shop, playing the Tweaker at moderate to loud volumes and was really impressed and pleased with the sound/tone of the amp. After I took a break from playing, another kid was testing some guitars using a Twin Reverb that was next to my Tweaker, somehow I still was preferring the quality of sound from the Tweaker

javierj

I absolutely love the sound of the Celestion G12H30 speaker, which comes stock with the Tweaker 15 w Combo amp, much nicer in my opinion that the Jensen C12K that comes stock with the DRRI. The G12H30 has such a nice high end/treble definition that are smooth, yet crisp and well defined, not ice peaky at all. The mid range response y natural and neutral and the bass response is tight and not overwhelming or too bassy. All of these thoughts I have are coming from a speaker that has not even been properly broken in. The only thing I can say so far, is that the G12H30 in this amp, seems to have a really controlled bass, meaning it could have a stronger bass response, since you can turn up the bass knob a lot and it does not get boomy, but maybe I have not had the chance to mess with the controls enough, since I have only played it at the store and will be picking it up tomorrow. When I take it home tomorrow I will rock the bejesus out of it and find out what is made off!

Last edited:

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Congrats! I rocked a Tweaker 40H head for a while and was pretty impressed with it. I kinda wish I hadn't traded it.

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
Are you going to gig with it? The DRRI is suitable for gigging with a drummer. The tweaker really isn't.

For what it's worth, I've owned both - 4 tweakers and 2 DRRI's - don't currently own either. The speaker is the weak link in the DRRI but other than that it is a much better amp. More headroom, WAY better reverb than a pedal (which would cost you another 1-200 dollars), and the cheap Egnaters are notoriously unreliable.

I think the tweaker is the best bang for the buck amp out there, but I wouldn't show up for a gig with one. I'd do it with a DRRI anytime.

javierj

Are you going to gig with it? The DRRI is suitable for gigging with a drummer. The tweaker really isn't.

For what it's worth, I've owned both - 4 tweakers and 2 DRRI's - don't currently own either. The speaker is the weak link in the DRRI but other than that it is a much better amp. More headroom, WAY better reverb than a pedal (which would cost you another 1-200 dollars), and the cheap Egnaters are notoriously unreliable.

I think the tweaker is the best bang for the buck amp out there, but I wouldn't show up for a gig with one. I'd do it with a DRRI anytime.
Well my guitar teacher had a Tweaker 15watt head and matching 112 egnater cabinet and he used to gig with it all the time. Of course is not the best amp for giging, as good as a DRRI would be with it added headroom and loudness, like for keeping up with a louder drummer, but in my situation where I have been mostly a bedroom player, with as many live performances as I can get, which are not many so far, it seems like a good amp for me in terms of headroom and loudness coverage. I intend to gig with it eventually, I will probably will be a little limited as far as volume and headroom to keep up with the drummer when we do rehearsals, but I will kindd have to work it with the drummer or mic it to my PA

javierj

So I think that the DRRI could be better than the Tweaker 15 watt in some ways like, enough headroom/volume to keep up with a louder drummer, tube spring reverb and tube tremolo. But about the sound and tone, I think I am most pleased with the Tweaker sound and I am also much pleased with the fact that I was able to afford it. I know that you could think ''ohh if I could only wait longer and save more money and get the DRRI, replace the stock speaker for a Eminence Cannabis Rex and take it to my guitar tech to check it for popper biasing, and all that, could all boil down to $1,400 here in my country'', but somehow it works in a weird way, when it comes to saving, most of the time it turns to just something I wanted and never got and for the Tweaker it can happen for sure. So, I played the Tweaker, really like the sound of it, affordable for me and I get a nice tube amp sound, now I can hear what my great sounding, modified Strat really should sound like, since this is my first tube amp, before I only had solid state amps. About headroom and keeping up with a drummer, yeah this is obviously not exactly overkill in that area, specially on clean headroom. I am trying to start a drummer, bass and second guitar band, so I will be a little limited on the clean headroom area maybe, but I guess I will have to see what I can do.

Last edited:

javierj

I have read though, in other forums and threads, about people asking if the Tweaker 15 watt is loud enough to gig and I see so many replies of people saying they have gig with it and that they find that it is loud enough and that it could keep up with a drummer...

FFking

You made the right decision based on a myriad of things you have said, but the main one being that you can afford it. Have fun with it.

djw

Silver Supporting Member
I back your decision! I have gigged with my Tweaker head and it was just fine. I think it's only a problem if you require a spanky-clean tone while playing with a harder-hitting drummer... and honestly I don't think the DRRI is THAT much better in that regard. I think you'll be in good shape. The tonal variety that the Tweaker offers make it a really fun amp and if you liked it in the store, I think you'll love it at home. Congrats!

AD1982

I'd say Fender Hot Rod Deluxe just as much as I'd say DRRI. The HR Deluxe is a great, clean pedal platform. Much louder than any DRRI too. With the volume dial on "4", you'll be out loud'n just about any drummer. The OD channel can be set lower for a good bluesy crunch, but anything after that... not that great. But that's what the pedals will be for.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I think you made the right affordable choice.... Personally, I love the tones out of Egnater amps so much more than Fender tones... There is a signature tone that Bruce has that is just so pleasing to the ear... I've had many boutique amps over the years, but my amps of choice these days are the Tweaker 40's.... The 15 is great as well

80sboy

I would go Tweaker. I hated mine at first but as I got used to the different tone combinations I've found the sound I want. IMO it's not a plug n play amp -- you really do have to tweak it for a bit before you realize why people love them.

gndboy

The Tweaker is massively better than the Deluxe Reverb. Far more headroom. I bought an Egnater Tweaker head brand new for about 400 bucks at the local Guitar Center. I put all new tubes in it for around a hundred bucks. I use it through an excellent cabinet from LopoLine along with a Weber Legend 12 speaker. Total cost (all new) around $850.00 for the whole rig. The current DR reissue isn't even close.

javierj

Along the way, I ended up buying a B stock, open box Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue at Amazon.com, for $895 shipping included. When I got it and open it up, I notice it had absolutely no scratches or dents, just like a brand new that sells for $1,099. I am really happy with it, I love the sound that I get from it and the output. I like it even more than the Tweaker Combo that I played at the local store, which is also a great amp.

So far the DRRI has been an excellent pedal platform.

hereandgone18

Along the way, I ended up buying a B stock, open box Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue at Amazon.com, for $895 shipping included. When I got it and open it up, I notice it had absolutely no scratches or dents, just like a brand new that sells for $1,099. I am really happy with it, I love the sound that I get from it and the output. I like it even more than the Tweaker Combo that I played at the local store, which is also a great amp.

So far the DRRI has been an excellent pedal platform.
Neat, I'm glad you got to try both! It's always great to get an open-box item that is essentially like-new.

This thread is very relevant to me, because my two main amps for quite a while have been a Tweaker 15 head and cab, and a DRRI. But I just recently sold the DRRI, even though I liked it a lot. It sounded great, but it was a bit too much amp for me, and I prefer the flexibility of the Tweaker while being able to crank it more.

We use electronic drums for the time being, so volume is pretty manageable (ok, but we still play loud...), so keep that in mind re: my decision to sell the DRRI. But with that said, what is it that you like more about the DRRI?

Trending Topics