stock Gibson 498T(?) vs Seymour Duncan JB

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by amdowell, Jan 20, 2015.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

A buddy of mine has an 80s Seymour Duncan JB that he's looking to sell and I was wondering your opinion on whether it would be an upgrade to my stock 93 Les Paul Standard pickup (which I believe is a 498T).

2. glepko

glepko Member

Meh - just a different flavor of Les Paul. Is there something you don't like with what you have? Or something you would like to hear from it that you aren't?

Both are good

3. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

Not really sure what I'm looking for honestly. Just wondered if I'd benefit from the change.

4. realast8

realast8 Member

I have a 97 Les Paul and personally don't have much love for the 490R/498T stock pickups. The 498T isn't terrible but the 490R is anemic, dull, and mushy.

I like Seymour Duncan Antiquities, Whole Lotta Love, Pearly Gates, and Vintage Blues 59s. I also think Gibson's Burstbuckers are a large improvement over the 490/498.

This is all personal taste of course but many others agree with me.

Check out the Seymour Duncan forums. They have a lot of info on this exact topic.

5. Binaural

Binaural Supporting Member

Depends on if your guitar is on the bright side or not. The JB can be very bright in the wrong guitar. Honestly, if you want to improve your 498T put an A8 magnet in it, it's an excellent combo.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

sounds like you need to lose the '90s LP volume pots, which were 300k and dulled the sound some; 500k audio volumes would wake the sound right up and also work better for cleaning up the drive with the guitar volume knob.

anyway, 498 vs JB is a bit of a lateral move; they're both good, kind of "boosted" overwound pickups with alnico V magnets, the JB is gonna be the louder and thicker of the two.

7. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

The JB does need to be a good match for your guitar. It wasn't in mine. I swapped it to a friend who put it in his 1980 LP Standard. In that guitar it sounded good. And I made good use of the T Top so win win.

Since you're putting it in an LP as well, it probably will be suited to it.

8. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I've always wondered if this was why my '97 Studio sounds darker than my other LP type guitars. What years did they use 300k pots? Sorry for the hijack. I agree it's a lateral move and hated the JB in my Edwards, changed it for some Manlius and it was a huge improvement...but I love the JB in my Schecter S1

9. Imola82

Imola82 Member

I owned a stock 93' LP Standard honeyburst up until recently. I didn't trade it for a lack of tone, just wanted another Strat. Wouldn't have changed a thing on it. Awesome Awesome guitar!!!

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

from the late '70s (i.e., the dark ages) all the way up until a couple of years ago. in other words, all the classic iconic tones from the great rock records done with '50s-60s gibsons featured all 500k audio pots.

in (i wanna say) '09 gibson relented and put 500k audios in their 50th anniversary R9, and soon after all the other historic pauls. it was just in the last couple years (when they started spec'ing push-pull volumes to split the humbuckers) that they finally accepted the fact that everybody was swapping out their pots for 500ks, and went back to these on most models.