Stoked for the new Tremonti

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by FPFL, Mar 17, 2015.

1. FPFL

FPFL Member

2. sfowler22

sfowler22 Member

Me too. Bummed out that although they recorded 20 songs they are only putting 10 on the album. They'll release the other 10 one at a time later on.

3. Bogner

Bogner Member

Release date bumped back but who cares...all his stuff is genius.

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

I definitely prefer his Alter Bridge stuff but will check it out. His first album had some songs I liked.

5. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

The vocals definitely sound much better - he sounds much more confident.

I was also disappointed about the release date - I wanted to hear the album before going to see them, but I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed. I wonder if it'll sound different with Wolf playing on this album.

6. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

So, "Cauterize" is here. What's your impressions?

Personally, I think it's amazing. The only track that I find easily skippable is "Arm Yourself". On the other hand, "Cauterize" and "Radical Change" are masterpieces. Love the album, and I think it is better than the first (although I've been listening to that album off and on since it came out).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  7. partytrain

partytrain Member

I'm a huge, HUGE, Tremonti fan. I was super excited about this album.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty disappointed with it. It's hard to describe, but it almost seems too deliberately metal.

And I hate the mix. Specifically the kick drum. I get that you want to show off Garrett's skills, but I'd rather have a thumpy kick I can feel in my chest. The kick is hard to distinguish from the snare at times. And it's mixed louder than anything. There are times when it almost drowns out the vocals.

Still love tremonti, but this one won't really get much rotation for me.

8. DeadCell

DeadCell Member

I think the album (the content) is great, but I do agree with some of the mixing choices. To be honest, I've never liked Elvis Baskette's work, even dating back to Alter Bridge's "Blackbird" album. Mixing the drums seems to be one of his biggest issues. It was either ABIII or Blackbird where the drums were drowned out by everything else, and just weren't very prominent at all. Here, there's too much emphasis.

Elvis may have some good ideas from a creative standpoint, but a sound engineer's ears are his most important feature.... and his aren't very good.

In terms of the writing itself, it's Tremonti. He's a speed metal guy at heart, and the only reason why a lot of the "All I Was" stuff was softer was that it was material that didn't fit Alter Bridge and he didn't want the material to be wasted. This time, he wrote this stuff with Tremonti in mind. So in Tremonti fashion, much of it is speed-esque style metal with melodic vocals, double-kicks, and face-melting solos.